ADVERTISEMENT

Predictions - 9 days before???

tarun262

All-League
Gold Member
Apr 9, 2007
Thoughts all - Michigan versus Utah. I am still waffling on this one - my heart says Michigan, brain says Utah. Great article about how the last 14 times a ranked team has hosted an unranked Power 5 team at home, the record has been 13-1 in their favor. Hoping it goes to 13-2 but Utah is a tough and very very very fundamentally sound team, especially on Special Teams.

I'm going with 24-21 Michigan - wishful thinking but optimistic. Utah is favored by 6, just as an FYI.

Thoughts all - Michigan versus Utah. I am still waffling on this one - my heart says Michigan, brain says Utah. Great article about how the last 14 times a ranked team has hosted an unranked Power 5 team at home, the record has been 13-1 in their favor. Hoping it goes to 13-2 but Utah is a tough and very very very fundamentally sound team, especially on Special Teams.

I'm going with 24-21 Michigan - wishful thinking but optimistic. Utah is favored by 6, just as an FYI.

Is Utah ranked? I don't think they were.

First game of the season, who the heck knows? There are always a few games in Week 1 where people say "Whoa, that was totally unexpected and our initial working hypotheses on team's strengths must be radically incorrect!!!"

For instance last year, Texas A&M destroying South Carolina in Columbia. Everyone then vaulted A&M into the Top 10 or Top 5. But that wasn't right either. The result was more a function of Carolina being mediocre vs. A&M being truly elite. Of course, it took more data points to figure that out.

Anyway, give me Michigan and the 6 points. I have absolutely no idea and honestly, both of these teams could be anywhere from 10th to 60th best in the nation. In that situation, I'll give myself some "margin of error" and have 6 points

Fair point michnitton - I think the article said we should assume Utah (ranked 30th) is similar to a Top 25 team - so you are correct, technically both teams are unranked and I don't think either team catapults into the rankings with a win. You are correct though, Michigan could blow out Utah or be on the other end of a blowout potentially. It's also the first game under a brand spanking new coach for a lot of the players so they will be some jitters I would imagine especially on the road. Who the heck knows I guess - I'm sticking to the 24-21 prediction though in favor of Michigan.

Reactions: St. Joe Blue 3
Not knowing who your QB is or where those points are coming from, on the road against a team that wants some respect, with a ton of love from the church on their side, and every ref within a hundred million miles taking an oath of disloyalty to the Michigan's song and dance routine, giving up 6 free points to every nut job gambler on earth, I feel pretty good about the outcome at the end of this rodeo.

Utah wins going away. The best part will be the pan shots of the Michigan bench in the fourth quarter. Classic.

N i t t a n y A m e r i c a
Can't imagine why you only have one like.

It appears many are forgetful of last year's game. Allow us to recap some key stats.

1. Utah's feared running game racked up 81 yards on 37 carries.....2.2 yards per carry.

2. Time of possession: Michigan 33:32 Utah 26:28

3. TURNOVERS: Michigan 4 Utah 1. Most importantly 3 of the TOs were interceptions which ruined our QB's momentum and attitude.

4. Utah's total offensive production 286 yards.

Here is my prediction: Michigan will not have 4 TOs. Michigan O line is going to be much improved...they are all more experienced and better coached. Michigan's D line and LBs are going to better than last year; 3 SR LBs and the return of the entire D line...the same bunch that held Utah to 81 yards rushing. Ruddock will NOT be Gardner and better manage a game on the road...he has much more experience. And finally, Michigan's running attack will dominate the game. Michigan will pound the short game and use the TEs to control the clock....Ruddock does not commit silly TOs.

One more point. I view the road game as a benefit to Michigan. With Coach Harbaugh's return, Michigan stadium and Ann Arbor would be zoo full of distractions all week.

Michigan 28 Utah 17.

Reactions: St. Joe Blue 3
It appears many are forgetful of last year's game. Allow us to recap some key stats.

1. Utah's feared running game racked up 81 yards on 37 carries.....2.2 yards per carry.

3. TURNOVERS: Michigan 4 Utah 1. Most importantly 3 of the TOs were interceptions which ruined our QB's momentum and attitude.

Here is my prediction: Michigan will not have 4 TOs. Michigan O line is going to be much improved...they are all more experienced and better coached. Michigan's D line and LBs are going to better than last year; 3 SR LBs and the return of the entire D line...the same bunch that held Utah to 81 yards rushing. Ruddock will NOT be Gardner and better manage a game on the road...he has much more experience. And finally, Michigan's running attack will dominate the game. Michigan will pound the short game and use the TEs to control the clock....Ruddock does not commit silly TOs.

One more point. I view the road game as a benefit to Michigan. With Coach Harbaugh's return, Michigan stadium and Ann Arbor would be zoo full of distractions all week.

Michigan 28 Utah 17.

All good points - last year was interesting because other then in TOs we dominated most stats but those TOs killed us. I would imagine the same was true against Minn, Rutgers, and Maryland as well - all games we could have won...actually as well as OSU where we were leading going into the 2nd half though not sure we would have pulled it off. Now remember, this is a home game for Utah and their biggest game so that does give them an advantage as well. I hope you are right though :)

Michigan 28 Utah 17.
Great discussion on the game, and we're excited to host the Wolverines in SLC. I have a few counter-points to the points from a Utah perspective:

When our back-up QB came in after our starter face-planted while trying to hurdle 2 men on the sideline to gain 7 yards o_O, he was sacked 3 times for -32 yards. If you take out those 3 plays, our YPC was 3.3. Your YPC in the game last year? 3.3.
Also, Devonte Booker only had 11 carries in the game. He wasn't our starting RB until game 5. From that point forward, he averaged nearly 27 carries per game.
I know your team had negative plays too, so it isn't really fair to be selective when talking numbers. Just know that our running game from last year's Michigan game is not reflective of what it will be for the game this year. We also return an experienced O-line (4 of 5 starters from last year).

As for Michigan's running game dominating the game, I would be surprised if that happened. Utah's rush defense is very good against non-spread teams, and our front 7 is expected to be one of, if not the top in the Pac-12 this year. It's going to be Michigan's strength on offense against Utah's strength on defense.

It's going to be a good game, and I hope those of you who are coming out for the game enjoy yourselves. If you have any questions about the area or our team, I'd be glad to answer them.

Also, I don't really consider this our "biggest" game of the year, and I would wager that most Utah fans agree with me. It's certainly our biggest OOC game, but we play 5 ranked teams in conference play. All of those are "bigger" games than this, even if they don't get the media hype that we'll have here for Harbaugh's first game back.

Reactions: TheBaron^Utah
Fair points MussMan, though you calling "Michigan's strength on offense" is a farse since we hardly had any strengths on that side of the ball last year :) I hope it's a good game and I hope as a Michigan fan we see improvement on the field and come away with a W. I live in the left coast and was seriously thinking about taking a flight to go see the game but could not make it work unfortunately. Imagine it would be a great atmosphere. Good luck to the Utes, except against Michigan of course :)

The altitude at game time will gas Michigan out. The second half will be ridiculously bad and the sloppy play will be costly. The board will go meltdown for three days and everyone will say Oregon State has to pay for this epic failure. Of course by then Mike Leach will be licking his chops.

Just saying, this looks very likely looking at all the facts.

It will be pretty memorable to watch Michigan destroy Ped State and Hackensack once again this year

Unfortunately, Ped State and Hackensack pose about as much of a threat as Tiger Woods does currently on the golf course…none.

Ped State…stepping stone job

The altitude at game time will gas Michigan out. The second half will be ridiculously bad and the sloppy play will be costly. The board will go meltdown for three days and everyone will say Oregon State has to pay for this epic failure. Of course by then Mike Leach will be licking his chops.

Just saying, this looks very likely looking at all the facts.

I think mike leach is the coach for washington state

Would love to see meatchicken win, would be great for the Big. That said Uath 20- meatchicken 17

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT