ADVERTISEMENT

Possible next coaches

alfadriver

Junior
Feb 8, 2006
Somewhere on the walk to Yost.
This thread may last a very short time, but just wanted a place to just discuss the possible future coach of our program....

So the only candidates I've heard enough to look into are:

Mel Pearson- who many think he will stay at Tech

Danton Cole- who may be announced as MSU's next coach later today (3pm 4/11)

Bill Muckalt- who I didn't think of, but was educated about him thanks to this board.

Brian Wiseman

Billy Powers

The latter two we know they are pretty available...

Who else?

Their first call should be to Nate Leaman. Turned around Union and built the team that won the title. Turned around Providence and won a title.

Bazin--though he's a UML alum and apparently his wife is pretty entrenched there with a legal practice and associate professor at the school.

Hard pass on Blasi. They've stunk the past few years like us, he hasn't put guys into the NHL really, and he's a douuuuuuuche.

Other guys with "Michigan ties"--You all know my thoughts on this. That should be a nice-to-have, not a requirement.
John Madden - AHL coach in Cleveland

Mike Van Ryn - Works with Arizona right now. Had one successful year as Kitchener head coach. Not a lot of experience and not sure why he stepped down after 1 year.

I could get behind Pearson with Muckalt as an assistant. I just don't want them to hand the reigns over without looking around.

Blasi would get run out of here like RichRod did. Mostly because of how many people hate his guts.

As for Leaman- now you make me wish I paid more attention to Providence at the NC game... But the fact that they pretty much shut down one of the best offences- well, that's pretty powerful.

But I'm not sure how we could count on getting either HE coaches- one of which is HC of his school, and is doing quite well at that.

I've seen Madden as a suggestion someplace else, first time I've seen Van Ryn as a possibility.

What about some assistants at other schools, especially where we know the HC is one of the better ones? For example- McInnis at BC? Ok- that's a bad example, as he's be more in line with eventually replacing Jerry York. On the other hand, I know Red and Jerry are really good friends, so it's not totally off the wall. But it seems as if there would be other assistants that would be good choices, wouldn't there?

Warde has a tough job replacing Red.

I don't expect us to do this, but the fact is that as one of the 7 or 8 big schools in D-1 hockey with big revenue bases (from football, basketball, BTN etc.), we could probably offer enough money to bid away any head or assistant coach from any of the smaller schools - Bazin, Leman, Montgomery, Sandelin, etc.

I thought there was some dissatisfaction on Madden's part towards Michigan - like he refused to return for alumni events - maybe I just dreamed that.

IDK what input Red is going to have, but what would he say to VanRyn - a player who left after 2 years leader of the program?

Blasi? What a concept! Would be almost like hiring Dantonio for FB :)

Yeah, I saw that tweet. He also said multiple established coaches interested including some NHL guys. This is what I'm talking about, about seeing what's out there first.

I could live with Pearson/Madden. Seems strange an AHL head coach would leave to be a college assistant. Muckalt seems more realistic unless he gets the Tech job, but stranger things have happened.

Reactions: clevelandcane
Well it might seem like a strange move, although more so because you would generally think an AHL coach would be prepping for/hoping for an NHL job (which Madden has had). But - what do you think Madden makes as an AHL coach? Powers is making $138K and Wiseman $121K so maybe the pay is comparable.

Reactions: clevelandcane
This thread may last a very short time, but just wanted a place to just discuss the possible future coach of our program....

So the only candidates I've heard enough to look into are:

Mel Pearson- who many think he will stay at Tech

Danton Cole- who may be announced as MSU's next coach later today (3pm 4/11)

Bill Muckalt- who I didn't think of, but was educated about him thanks to this board.

Brian Wiseman

Billy Powers

The latter two we know they are pretty available...

Who else?
So I read we are getting a "Michigan Man"! I think the AD, Warde Manuel we'll go after the best man out there and it could be from another high Profile university. NDSU, Denver, Boston ,......74

So I read we are getting a "Michigan Man"! I think the AD, Warde Manuel we'll go after the best man out there and it could be from another high Profile university. NDSU, Denver, Boston ,......74
I certainly hope it's not NDSU....

UND on the other hand....

The coach for Denver is apparently interviewing for an NHL job.

BU- he'll stay.

Better shot at Providence's coach- who won an NC there and set up Union's NC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT