ADVERTISEMENT

One issue that hasn't been discussed recently is how JB and staff..

Reality Man

Heisman
Feb 9, 2002
don't even really bother recruiting hard the state of MI or maybe guys don't want to play for UM?. I just saw where Eric Davis is heading to Texas. Seems like the MI guys go to MSU.

It's funny how UM fans (myself included) don't really care anymore because JB seems to get guys from all over the place. UM gets more guys from Ohio than MI. What is that about?

Is about the style of play JB wants and kids from MI don't fit that style?

Thoughts?

Reality Man

P.S. Let me see if I can name some guys and their hometown state. I'll leave off transfers

Teske..Ohio right?
Chatman..Oregon
Maar...PA
Dawkins...Mass?
Irvin...Indiana
LeVert...Ohio
Donnal...Ohio?
Doyle...Florida
Albrecht...East Coast?
Hatch..Indiana

Walton....MI.......BINGO :)

Some recent players...

Burke...Ohio
THJ..Florida
Novak...Indiana
Douglas..Indiana
Stauskas...Canada
McGary...Indiana

Morgan...MI.....BINGO :)

I come from a time where you saw a roster full of MI players. Don't get me wrong...I am not complaining. I just find it interesting. Do you think this is the result of the Izzo factor? Both MI guys are Detroit born/bred? Give me your honest take...especially a MI guy like Dotman.

There was a lot more talent in the state of Michigan in the 70's, 80's and 90's compared to recently. I played high school basketball in the Saginaw Valley Conference back in the mid-80's and the conference was loaded with talent...heck, Flint Central and Flint Northwestern would have 7-8 division 1 players on each team. Now the Saginaw Valley conference produces at best a handful of division 1 players each year from all the teams in the conference. Detroit also doesn't produce the number of talented players it did 20 years ago. This shift has forced UM and MSU to primarily recruit outside the state. MSU has more players from the state but they can't have more than 3-5 players from Michigan on their roster. Beilein likes to get those 6'6" or taller players that are multitalented, capable of passing, shooting and rebounding. The state of Michigan is just not producing enough of these type players.

I'm still amazed at Beilein's ability to find diamonds in the rough. I mean, how many division I coaches in the country go after a division III basketball player but based on Beilein's track record I'm expecting Duncan Robinson to be a very good player for us. Not only is he able to find players that are flying under the radar but he also does an excellent job developing these players. We are very fortunate to have him as our coach. I truly look forward to UM basketball since Beilein became our coach.

Davis was offered. We have not failed to recruit anyone in Michigan who we should have recruited. I don't agree with your premise.

Eric Davis or C. Winston or? I agree there aren't a whole lot of players

for JB to look at but it seems JB has plenty of options nationally and is more than happy to use his reputation to land players that fit his system.

Plus the previous players who went to MSU. I understand your point. It is accurate but something tells JB will just go wherever to get the 'right' players.

Reality Man

P.S. Not complaining...just making an observation that UM doesn't have a lot of MI players. Josh Jackson. I think its entirely possible than UM doesn't have a MI guy on its roster in a few years. That is amazing. Understandable based on the talent in the state and the JB system...but amazing nonetheless.
This post was edited on 9/19 8:22 PM by Reality Man

Re: Eric Davis or C. Winston or? I agree there aren't a whole lot of players

Name somebody in Michigan who Beilein didn't recruit hard who was deserving. As for MSU, the last two Izzo signed in state were Valentine and Costello in the 2012 class, and Beilein recruited both to the end.
Originally posted by Reality Man:
for JB to look at but it seems JB has plenty of options nationally and is more than happy to use his reputation to land players that fit his system.

Plus the previous players who went to MSU. I understand your point. It is accurate but something tells JB will just go wherever to get the 'right' players.

Reality Man

P.S. Not complaining...just making an observation that UM doesn't have a lot of MI players. Josh Jackson. I think its entirely possible than UM doesn't have a MI guy on its roster in a few years. That is amazing. Understandable based on the talent in the state and the JB system...but amazing nonetheless.
This post was edited on 9/19 8:22 PM by Reality Man

could it be that you have to actually go to class and study when you go to michigan?

Beilein has recruited every instate kid he should have. Eric Davis had no desire to stay instate. That isn't Beilein's fault. Cassius Winston is obviously a huge priority, he just happens to be 1B to the best PG in the country Thornton who is 1A in that class.

No hard feelings for Beilein towards instate recruits. He's got Derrick Walton as a team leader.

Yep. That's part of deserving an offer. And most of the elite kids want to go out of state. Young was Kentucky bound from day one, as an example.

Recruiting your own state or even region in basketball is way less...

important than in football. In basketball, you only need 2-4 really good players per year and some program like UConn for example have proven that it doesn't even matter if they come from America let alone your state or region.

Most football programs need to dominate the state and region to be a real power.

Originally posted by blockm2:
Beilein has recruited every instate kid he should have.
Taking Walton over Monte Morris was a big mistake IMO. The fact that Monte shattered the NCAA All Time assist to TO record last year as a true freshman and had almost a 7.0 A/TO ratio in Big 12 play while playing in one of the most high tempo offenses in the nation for Fred Hoiberg says it all about how talented he is. He also held his own against Shabazz Napier in the NCAA tourney on D while averaging 13 ppg on 54% shooting in their 3 games compared to Walton's tourney of 6 ppg on 42% shooting. Not to mention Monte shot 85% from the line on the season. A PG who takes care of the ball like that and is automatic at the line is simply invaluable. Huge mistake.

This post was edited on 10/8 11:58 PM by um1978grad

Monte "Man Man" Morris

Originally posted by um1978grad:
Originally posted by blockm2:
Beilein has recruited every instate kid he should have.
Taking Walton over Monte Morris was a big mistake IMO. The fact that Monte shattered the NCAA All Time assist to TO record last year as a true freshman and had almost a 7.0 A/TO ratio in Big 12 play while playing in one of the most high tempo offenses in the nation for Fred Hoiberg says it all about how talented he is. He also held his own against Shabazz Napier in the NCAA tourney on D while averaging 13 ppg on 54% shooting in their 3 games compared to Walton's tourney of 6 ppg on 42% shooting. Not to mention Monte shot 85% from the line on the season. A PG who takes care of the ball like that and is automatic at the line is simply invaluable. Huge mistake.

This post was edited on 10/8 11:58 PM by um1978grad

Huh?

Morris had a nice season but it was in no way better than Walton. Walton shot even better than Morris from behind the arc last season on a bunch more attempts. He also shot 79% from the line last year, again on more attempts. Walton did this against even tougher competition than Morris did.

You mention some nice things Morris did but don't talk about the nice things Walton did like coming up money @ Nebraska and @ Michigan State to help us win some big road games.

As for the NCAA tournament, Morris didn't "hold his own" vs Napier. He had 12 points and 4 assists. Napier had 19 and 5. And for the NCAA tournament, Walton had an even better assist/to ratio than Morris did (12/5 vs 10/5).

Both have long careers ahead of them. Way too early to say it was "a big mistake" to take Walton, especially since he was at least as good as Morris was last season. Also you aren't even mentioning defense, which I think everybody agrees Walton is much better at than Morris.

He just wins, baby. One of the best teachers in college....I don't care where he gets his kids. He can flat out coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT