ADVERTISEMENT

NHL Draft preview - Michigan version

Bob Miller

All-American
Jun 25, 2001
Whether it’s Red Berenson in charge as head coach or his newly-hired successor, Mel Pearson, the beat goes on regarding Michigan’s role as a developer of NHL quality talent.

During Berenson’s tenure, the Wolverines contributed a steady flow of talent to the ranks of professional hockey.

This weekend’s NHL Draft in Chicago is no exception with one current Wolverine, defenseman Luke Martin, and two incoming freshmen, forwards Josh Norris and Michael Pastujov, forecast to be selected relatively early in the proceedings.

International Scouting Services (ISS), one of the leading draft services, has tabbed Norris, who boosted his stock in the recent NHL Draft Combine testing, to be selected late in the first round with ranking of 23rd overall. ISS ranked Martin 51st as a likely second round pick and Pastujov 90th overall with a late 3rd round or early 4th round likelihood.

Josh Norris

6-1 192 Center

Rankings: ISS 23 TSN/Bob McKenzie 23 McKeen’s 28 NHL Central Scouting 34

Strengths: Skating, Offensive Play, Competitiveness/Grit

Weaknesses: Defensive Play, Takes Bad Penalties

ISS Scouting Report: Josh was a member of the US U18 World Championship team this season and scored seven points in seven games. Playing for the US National Team Development Program (during the regular 2016-17 season), he was second in team scoring. He has good speed and good puck skills. Very competitive, he is willing to play in traffic and to battle for puck possession. Sometimes takes bad penalties. A smart player, he can make good offensive plays. He works hard without the puck but needs to improve his defensive reads. He can play all forward positions and special teams. He complements any line. Has potential as a mid-range NHL forward with an upside.

ISS Scout Bryan Smolinski: Good size center continues to impress with his high-end skill and hockey IQ. Moves the puck and uses wingers and body well with a little nastiness. Definite pro potential.

Bob Miller adds: Son of a legendary Michigan State player, Norris is a player who possesses a whole game eclipses the sum of the parts. If he stays long enough before turning pro, he’s definitely captain material.

Luke Martin

6-2 207 Defense

Rankings: ISS 51 TSN/Bob McKenzie 69 McKeen’s 98 NHL Central Scouting 61

Strengths: Size, Skating, Defensive Play

Weaknesses: Offensive Play, Shot Accuracy

ISS Scouting Report: A graduate of the US National Team Development Program, Luke just completed his freshman season at the University of Michigan. A gifted skater, Luke is a very good puck handler and has a very strong shot. Although he has puck skills, he is not an offensive defenseman. Identified more as a transitional, two-way defender. His passes are hard and accurate. His shot is hard but often misses the net. He is reliable defensively, can turn and retrieve pucks very well. He can carry the puck out of the defensive zone or make a good outlet pass. His size allows him to battle and win puck possession. He handles one on one situations well with a good gap and good positioning. Luke is projected as a solid two-way NHL defenseman.

ISS Scout Jose Charbonneau: Good puck defenseman with very good size, sees the ice well and has a very good IQ for the game. Reliable and can be used on power play and penalty killing. Keeps the gaem very simple and effective.

Bob Miller adds: For me, Martin is one of the draft’s top sleepers. High floor kind of player. You definitely know what you’re getting defensively with the promise of a greater offensive ceiling with a year of college hockey under his belt.

Michael Pastujov

6-0 190 Right Wing

Rankings: ISS 90 TSN/Bob McKenzie not ranked McKeen’s 122 NHL Central Scouting 80

Strengths: Hockey IQ, 200 ft Game, Leadership

Weaknesses: Consistency, Acceleration

ISS Scouting Report: Was outstanding from start to finish and was one of the USA’s best players at the 2016 Ivan Hlinka tourney and followed that up with a solid performance at the World U18 Championship. He has good hockey sense and good puck skills. Always in good position on both sides of the puck. Deceptive skater, he can turn it on when he needs to, but needs to play at a faster pace and move his feet more effectively. Too often tries to make plays standing still. Responsible defensively, he needs to create a better identity for himself and be more consistent.

ISS Scout Phil Myre: Good size forward. He’s an enigmatic player for me. I’ve liked him. I’ve hated him and I’ve been lukewarm on him. Shows good skills, good shot and offensive skills, but his stats don’t back that up. He’s a smart player who plays a 200 ft game, yet doesn’t really battle physically. He’s strong and hard to knock down.

Bob Miller adds: Pastujov’s inconsistencies stem mostly from injury recovery. His late season play was excellent, suggesting that when he joins his brother, Nick, on the Wolverine roster this fall, he has the opportunity to dispel the doubters.

Wolverine fans also have very good defensive prospects to anticipate for future NHL draft selections. For the 2018 draft, blue liners Quinn Hughes and Mattias Samuelsson (son of former NHLer Kjell Samuelsson), both Michigan commits, are currently projected to be first round selections. Michael Vukojevic, a defenseman commit for Michigan’s incoming class of 2019, is ranked in the top handful of prospects for the 2019 selection process.

Finally time for me to pay attention to players coming in.

If the defense can take a step up, and Norris can take pressure off other players to score, this should be a markedly improved team.

Hope we see these guys stay for more than one (or two for Luke) season.

If the defense can take a step up, and Norris can take pressure off other players to score, this should be a markedly improved team.

Don't have Larkin/Connor expectations for Norris. Not that kind of player. Steady more than explosive.

And, expect 2-3 early departures each season based on the way they're recruiting. Just the nature of the game in these times.

Don't have Larkin/Connor expectations for Norris. Not that kind of player. Steady more than explosive.

And, expect 2-3 early departures each season based on the way they're recruiting. Just the nature of the game in these times.
Ok, but any way to relieve the grip on the sticks will be better.

Couple of interesting things. First, Mel and Muckalt were standing about ten feet away from Luke Martin when he was drafted and offered their congratulations immediately before he could even get down to the draft floor. Second, could Michael Pastujov's failure to be drafted be a kick in the butt motivationally?

Slightly OT, but I see that Nolan DeJong's brother, a 6-4 D-man, was drafted in Round 6 by Carolina. Was he ever on our recruiting radar?

Slightly OT, but I see that Nolan DeJong's brother, a 6-4 D-man, was drafted in Round 6 by Carolina. Was he ever on our recruiting radar?

Have no evidence that he was, but it would be hard to imagine the coaching staff not checking in on a legacy recruit. The uncertainty in coaching succession had to hurt the past few years. Amazing that they've been able to recruit as well as they have.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT