ADVERTISEMENT

New 2018 commit

Bob Miller

All-American
Jun 25, 2001
Mel's added another forward for 2018.

Garrett Van Wyhe, 6-2 197 pound left wing/center currently with Fargo of the USHL, announced his commitment to Michigan yesterday. Already 20 years old, Van Whye should be in Michigan's incoming class of 2018. He's scored three goals and added an assist in nine games this season and is viewed as a leader type. Previously committed to Army, Van Wyhe de-committed from that program before this season commenced.

Mel has several more commits than he has departing seniors for 2018. Certainly, early departures are bound to happen and maybe even some de-commits along the way.

The early signing period starts November 8th. I will be interested to see who actually signs vs. gets pushed back vs. gets pushed out. Dexter Dancs, Tony Calderone, Alex Roos, Niko Porikos, Sam Piazza and Cutler Martin will be graduating. Of that group, I only recall Dancs and Martin signing NLIs four years ago so I do not know how many full scholarships this frees up. Obviously, Calderone and Piazza have played themselves into important roles. Of course there are many NHL draftees that could elect to go early, Cooper Marody, Brendan Warren, Will Lockwood, Quinn Hughes, Nick Boka, Luke Martin and Joe Cecconi. Finally, there are a few players that have been scratches who may not come back as well. You have to believe Michigan will be signing D Bode Wilde and D Mattias Samuelsson, both potential first round NHL picks. Jimmy Lambert, the overager from Vernon who is among the BCHL scoring leaders, will sign. I would think likely NHL draft picks F Jack Randl and D Jacob Semik will sign too. You would have to believe recently committed overagers D Keaton Pehrson, D Jake Gingell and F Garrett Van Wyhe will all matriculate. It will be interesting to see what subset of F Gustaf Westlund, F Calen Kiefiuk, F Philippe LaPointe and D Kenny Johnson end up signing.

The recruits in the out years are super talented. The only outstanding recruit that would be a game changer in the next three classes that I am still hopeful for is Quinn Hughes' brother Jack of the NTDP. He is absolutely tearing it up and would be a difference maker at F even if only a one and done. Anyone hear anything there?

Reactions: Divided42
How many full scholarships can they offer?

Is it basically that NHL draft pick-types get full offers and the remainder get partial or whatever is left over?

They have 18 full scholarships to utilize. Essentially, you're correct about how they're used.

Because of their ability to use partials, it's tough to know where things actually stand.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT