ADVERTISEMENT

My simple take on the game.

buttaball

Michigan Man
Gold Member
Oct 2, 2001
Columbia, MD
After losing to TCU, I started to think: What was this 2022-23 Michigan Football team missing?

Talent? Based on awards gained, and sheer numbers put up over a the first 13 games of the season, including at OSU and in the B1G Championship Game, I'd say: "no".

To be clear, I'm not one of those people who looks at recruit rankings as the only measure for talent, but based solely on that, we should've been able to kick TCU's butt even without Corum and Schoon...

But I think that losing Corum, and Schoon, took a couple more starters from last season's BCS UGA loss out of the equation...J.J. wasn't starting last season, Edwards was the third string RB last season, Bell was injured and out last season, Olu was not even on campus for that loss.

I think that an underplayed point is that J.J. is a first year starter, probably seeing TCU's 3-3-5 D for the first time ever in a live game.
On the TCU side is a QB in Duggan who is in his 4th season as a starter, and has two years on JJ.

One guy (Duggan) played like a wily vet, another played like a rookie (JJ)...That was probably the difference in the game (as far as on field).

Now, when looking at our off the field situations- coaching (weird calls), that weird overturned TD (Really? Two of these last two seasons?). I do agree.

But if a veteran has the guts of a burglar, and the other younger, while talented QB, is still green, I feel that the team with the vet QB will come out on top.

That gives me hope for next season's OSU game- We could have Corum, and others back with more experienced and mentally tougher versions of Donavan and Colston, while J.J. will be the veteran starter in next season's game at The Big House.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.