ADVERTISEMENT

Mixed bag on Saturday night...

Puckhead

All-American
Jun 4, 2001
the game ended in a 6-6 tie and Michigan lost the shoot out so Minnesota got the extra point in conference standings.

First period sounded awful for Michigan. Didn't really do much of anything except watch Minnesota score. It was 3-0 in favor of Minnesota after 20 minutes. LaFontaine got the start, I think that was the first time either goalie has started back to back games this year as he was the starter Friday night as well.

Lavigne started in goal for the second which was a wild affair. Minnesota scored twice, but Michigan scored thrice so after 40 minutes it was 5-3 in favor of Minnesota.

Minnesota scored first in the third to push back out to a 3 goal lead, but Michigan scored another 3 in the final period, the last one with just over a minute to play to end regulation all tied up at 6.

There was no bounce off the helmet to score a game winner tonight and the game ended in a 6-6 tie.

Michigan lost the shoot out 2-1, but that only counts for that extra point in conference standing. From an NCAA point of view this weekend was a win and a tie against the #4 team in the country. I'd say that's not a bad weekend (Michigan did lose that extra point in the standings, but they ended the weekend with a 4-2 point advantage over the Gophers, again not bad).

Things don't get any easier as Michigan is off to Madison for a pair of games against the Badgers next weekend. The Big Ten finally seems to be turning into that gauntlet of teams that will leave everyone battered and bruised at seasons end.

Hard to be overly sad because they came back from a huge deficit, and hard to be too happy because they got into a huge deficit.

In the end, I guess I'm more pleased with the skill that brought them back, as I saw Minnesota beating them to most puck, and being able to take the puck from behind way more often than they should have been able to. If they can get whatever Mel wants them to do more consistently, they should be a pretty darned good team. That kind of comeback is really hard, let alone twice in a weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT