ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan vs Michigan State at Yost Arena...

Well the second period was a brilliant display of what not to do.

Michigan turned the puck over 3 times in bad positions and in every instance the Spartans scored goals, the last one being a short handed goal. After two periods of play it's 3-0 MSU.

Nagelvoort replaced LaFontaine with about 8 minutes to play after LaFontaine was injured.

Well the second period was a brilliant display of what not to do.

Michigan turned the puck over 3 times in bad positions and in every instance the Spartans scored goals, the last one being a short handed goal. After two periods of play it's 3-0 MSU.

Nagelvoort replaced LaFontaine with about 8 minutes to play after LaFontaine was injured.
Getting shut out again at home against a bad MSU team, very sad.

Michigan starts the third period with a full 2 minute power play. Inside the first minute of play they give up a second straight short handed goal to fall behind by a 0-4 score.

9 minutes to play, Michigan still behind by a 0-4 score. I'm tired physically and mentally trying to find something good to say about this team. I'm going to bed. I can't take any more of this abysmal hockey team.

When Puckhead wakes up he will learn it was not a bad dream. In fact, a great step backwards from the last few games.

So - shut out twice in our own building by our arch-rival who also happens to be 51st in the PWR.

OOOPS I stand corrected - I started typing before Luce scored a PP goal at 19:50 of the 3P (well that is what we call Spartanesque in my house - take a bad penalty with 13 seconds left in the game and cost your goalie his shutout - not that we are in position to gloat after losing 8 of 12 B1G points to the Spartans on the season.)

Last edited:
When Puckhead wakes up he will learn it was not a bad dream. In fact, a great step backwards from the last few games.

So - shut out twice in our own building by our arch-rival who also happens to be 51st in the PWR.

OOOPS I stand corrected - I started typing before Luce scored a PP goal at 19:50 of the 3P (well that is what we call Spartanesque in my house - take a bad penalty with 13 seconds left in the game and cost your goalie his shutout - not that we are in position to gloat after losing 8 of 12 B1G points to the Spartans on the season.)

If it weren't for you guys, MSU would have 0 points in the Big 10.

You probably did this to make sure Anastos got another contract extension....

I'm on to the plan here.....

All I know is - both these teams deserve to be where they are in conference play.

9 minutes to play, Michigan still behind by a 0-4 score. I'm tired physically and mentally trying to find something good to say about this team. I'm going to bed. I can't take any more of this abysmal hockey team.
It's rare we leave early from games.

Last night we left at the 10min break.

How they let MSU get to them like that is a total mystery. And it's not as if MSU got to them mentally- there were some chips here and there, but it was tiny. It's just that they play outright badly against this team.

It's rare we leave early from games.

Last night we left at the 10min break.

How they let MSU get to them like that is a total mystery. And it's not as if MSU got to them mentally- there were some chips here and there, but it was tiny. It's just that they play outright badly against this team.
I'm just perplexed by the lack of effort. They wandered aimlessly until it was too late and then finally got interested when it was 4-0. I can understand issues with talent, making mistakes, and even mental lapses, but to be that flat against your biggest rival just escapes me.

The truly maddening thing is that they aren't as bad as they showed last night. They have wins over #s 3, 11, and 15 in the Pairwise. I'm not saying they're a tournament team but a consistent effort at least had them winning games like last night.

Nope, not a dream, definitely not a dream, just a bad hockey team.

The lack of consistency, the lack of effort, the mistakes; week in and week out it's one of these issues, if not a mix of them that lead to the results we have seen. Last night seemed to be a little bit of everything. One of the worst parts, other than inconsistency and lack of effort, is the mistakes. They are making the same mistakes today they were making the first exhibition game, they just haven't gotten any better. Then they add to the frustration because every once in a while they actually show up and play a solid game and show what they could have been, only to follow that up with a lackluster showing the next night and we are right back in the crapper.

Looking ahead at the schedule it's conceivable that they won't win another game the rest of the season. Over the next two weeks they travel to Madison and to Columbus. None of those games are going to be easy at all and both of those teams are going to play and play hard for the entire game. After that it's back to Yost where they host Minnesota and then Penn State to close out the season. Both of those teams are fighting for playoff positioning and a loss to Michigan would hurt them in the PWR so you can pretty much bet they both come out firing on all cylinders as well. Of course early games against these two teams were some of the worst of the season for Michigan so not looking good at all. When was the last time a Michigan hockey team had a record that looked something like this 9-22-3 rather than 22-9-3? Probably have to go all the way back to Berenson's first year or two. What an awful way to finish off a long and storied career behind the bench (assuming this is his last). He should have gotten out after last year.

Let's see if they can pull a rabbit out of the hat up in Madison next weekend, but I'm not holding my breath.

1st ---no rabbits in hats next week. Seems we put ever thing into one game and have no gas left for the other. Immature and no leadership.
2nd--- first time since 1989 that MSU has swept us at Yost 3-0 !!
GBGB"74

There may be a rabbit somewhere. Wisconsin will be coming off what has to be a demoralizing sweep at the hands of Penn St. Maybe we can jump them early on Friday. OSU is a less talented version of us last year - score 100 and give up either 99 or 101. Combine that with 4,000 people in a 20,000 seat building and it's not the worst of road environments. PSU and MN will be tough but neither has been all that consistent and we'll at least be at home.

0 for the rest of the year is certainly possible, and likely if we play like last night, but there's some chances to pick a couple wins up with efforts like we had vs BU or the 2nd Union game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT