ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan vs Michigan State at Joe Louis, Friday night...

Puckhead

All-American
Jun 4, 2001
Michigan put forth their expected awful effort to start this game, giving up a goal just 36 seconds into the first period.

About six minutes ish later Michigan got called for their first penalty of the night. 20 seconds into that penalty kill they were hit with penalty number two. Spartans scored a power play goal while on the two man advantage. It was 2-0 MSU and they hadn't yet played a full 7 minutes.

Right around the five minute mark Slaker got Michigan on the board to cut the MSU lead to 1. Michigan closed out the scoring in the first when Shuart got the puck into the back of the net with just 28 seconds left in the period.

End of one, Michigan 2, Michigan State 2

Nearing the midpoint of the second Michigan State retook the lead 3-2 when Lavigne didn't get tight to the post and had it banked in off his leg.

Not long after that it appeared that Dancs had tied the game at 3, but that was reviewed and waved off for a high stick (they got this one right). Just as the clock moved under the 4 minute mark DeJong did tie the game at 3 on the same power play.

That's how the second ended, Michigan 3, Michigan State 3

20 minutes to go and arguably the worst 20 minutes of every game Michigan has played of late. They really need to have a solid third period.

Well regulation is over and the game is tied at 4.

Michigan took the lead about six minutes into the third when DeJong scored his second of the game. That held up until the last three or four minutes of the game when Michigan turned the puck over giving the Spartans a golden opportunity that they converted to tie the game.

What more can be said.

Well it took five rounds, but Piazza scored in the fifth and Lavigne shut down the Spartan shooter so Michigan picks up the extra point in the Big Ten.

Reactions: wolverines74
Overall reasonably solid effort I thought, including in period 3. One sloppy play in the 3P cost us.

Overall reasonably solid effort I thought, including in period 3. One sloppy play in the 3P cost us.

I thought the effort was fine being at the game. Calderone not 100% and injured Kile

Another blown third period lead to msu. Luce with a brutal turnover late in game. Then it seems for the last five goals scored against them, there is an unchecked player in the slot who connects to score.

I would like to know what msu scoring average is against teams other than Michigan. Probably 2.0. Against Michigan, it's 3.25.

De Jong with a strong effort. Wins will be tough to earn following tonight's game.

I would also like to see a different goalie, Lavigne allowed 15 in last 3 games.

It kind of sucks bad that penalties continue to be a problem. Both that we take them too often in situations where it's clearly not needed, and also that our PK has really gotten bad.

The penalties that are needed are also a problem- since they get into a situation that they have to do something to prevent a shot. Gotta move your feet more and keep your heads up, guys.

I agree that Lavigne isn't as confident as we would like to see him, but the need to stop the rotation and expect better play from the other guys overwhelms that. I'd love to see Zach play lights out (for personal reasons) but I also know that he's still having issues. And Lafontaine- he's not the one, either. The risk of the choices, to me, still leads to Lavigne in net.

I don't have any real issues with Lavigne's play in the last few games that he has been the "regular," but still, I am surprised he is not rotating with Lafontaine. Not clear to me what happened to convince the coaches that Hayden is clearly better.

But that pretty much describes the entire season. Make a mistake and boom, goal against and they just don't take advantage when the other team makes that mistake.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT