ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan / VA Tech

Only watched the 2nd half. Here is what I saw and it reinforces my overall beliefs in the team.

1. Walton was not on and Irvin did some nice things but again relying on Irvin to win the game shooting is not going to go well most of the times.

2. JB has to develop Wagner. He went out because of fouls? Donnal didn't seem to do a lot in the 2nd half. Wilson needs to develop on the offensive end. MAAR and Robinson seemed to be okay.

Bottom line is that UM needs a big to help. Teske looks promising. I am impressed. Maybe JB needs to really think about throwing the ball into the post and balance out the scoring with this team at certain points. I don't know if I trust a team with Irvin shooting too much. I do actually trust Walton a little more.

JB acknowledges when Irvin plays well then the team plays well. Fine. I would like to see the team go the way of Wagner/Donnal a portion of the time and then 50% of the time as how Walton/Irvin go. It's too much to rely on both of them. JB is going to have to change the scoring focus of this team more to the bigs on occasion.

Too much Irvin/Walton. Not enough Wagner/Donnal. Just my opinion.

RM

I agree with all of your points. Michigan relied to much on the jump shot in the second half, and when the shots weren't falling, Virginia Tech was able to rally. Michigan needs to find a way to score consistently in the paint.

On the defensive side, they gave up way to many easy points in the paint, especially in the second half.

The defense was bad. Maybe I should use the word atrocious. If I were JB (I am not)...I would consider making some major revisions to get this team built for next year. Meaning really start to phase away from guard dominating scoring since Walton is leaving and Simpson looks like a pass first guy and start developing Teske and Wagner more along with Wilson/Matthews.

JB is in the middle of a transition and if you look at the composition of this roster right now they aren't going to be making a lot of 3 pt shots next year unless Livers/Poole/Watson are the second coming of THJ. This roster doesn't look like a JB roster...it looks more like an Amaker roster.

People (some) are kidding themselves if you think this roster is set up to play JB small ball going forward. Can JB do something RR never could do...reinvent himself??

RM

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT