ADVERTISEMENT

Mel's first recruit?

Bob Miller

All-American
Jun 25, 2001
Jack Becker, of the USHL's Sioux Falls Stampede, is a 20 year old (in June), 6-3 190 center, who effectively uses his size and strong skating. He starred in Minnesota HS hockey before going to Sioux Falls.

Becker, a 7th round pick of the NHL Boston Bruins two years ago, has been snakebitten by coaching changes. Originally committed to Mike Eaves at Wisconsin, Becker changed that commitment to Michigan Tech/Mel Pearson when Eaves was fired. Now that Pearson has left MTU for Michigan, Becker lists himself as a member of Michigan's class of '21 on his Twitter account. If he has committed to Michigan, he'll join the Wolverines this fall.

Assuming no one has decommitted or left that I missed, he would be the 17th forward n our roster for next season. Which is 2 or 3 more than "normal".

I expect Mel to concentrate his efforts on '19 candidates. '18 and '20 classes are very good so far. Expect additions to all three classes, but '19 is in need.

Also, rare for a new coach to take over without a few defections. Will be interesting to watch it play out. And, I am unaware of Kenny Johnson's status. He still refers to himself as a UM commit.

I expect Mel to concentrate his efforts on '19 candidates. '18 and '20 classes are very good so far. Expect additions to all three classes, but '19 is in need.

Also, rare for a new coach to take over without a few defections. Will be interesting to watch it play out. And, I am unaware of Kenny Johnson's status. He still refers to himself as a UM commit.
VERY interesting to watch. The players we've talked to are very excited about Mel. And it seemed as if most of the team showed up to Red's retirement party.

For the recruits- we talked to Red a few years ago, who told us that he had to tell recruits that it was unlikely that they would graduate with him as HC, and I'm sure this years incoming fully figured it would happen.

So on all sides of that watch- it will be interesting.

VERY interesting to watch. The players we've talked to are very excited about Mel. And it seemed as if most of the team showed up to Red's retirement party.

For the recruits- we talked to Red a few years ago, who told us that he had to tell recruits that it was unlikely that they would graduate with him as HC, and I'm sure this years incoming fully figured it would happen.

So on all sides of that watch- it will be interesting.

I'd guess that Mel (with Wiseman still on board) is the best choice scenario for retaining players.

It would be interesting to the community if the answer was 0 current team defections AND 0 recruit defections. Which seems very possible.

Re: recruit defections, Blade Jenkins has already jumped to the OHL after Mel's hiring although there likely isn't a cause and effect relationship to Mel's hiring. He was probably a goner either way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT