ADVERTISEMENT

man, what is happening to baseball

In fairness, max and JV (and many others) were BOTH names by someone that used to be associated with the team, as players that were big users of foreign substances. Looking back, it totally makes sense given the movement they both used to get on their pitches.

This has been talked about a ton lately. ESPN had a front page article about it the other day….about teams going to call pitchers out.

I agree that it is stupid. What’s even more stupid that they decided to wait until the MIDDLE of the damn year to start making crazy changes.

I don’t know about the pros, but in my sons little league game both umpires couldn’t count to three strikes on a batter, who hit a single off the 4th strike and scored the winning run two batters later with two outs.

• Haha
Reactions: rkrolak
I don’t know about the pros, but in my sons little league game both umpires couldn’t count to three strikes on a batter, who hit a single off the 4th strike and scored the winning run two batters later with two outs.
Why didn't the coach step in before the next pitch was thrown? That's just as much on the coach.

Reactions: lcb1982

Scherzer is a Boras client and Boras clients are making a huge deal out of this. Zac Gallen, a Boras client, went after Mike Hill who is working for MLB and the former GM of the Marlins. David Samson, former Marlins President who now does a podcast, says Boras clients are putting on a show over this as part of negotiations for the next collective bargaining agreement.

Not a big Joe Girardi fan, but I love that he did this. Max is acting like a child. deGrom had to get checked yesterday and he was totally fine with it.

Reactions: submit
Scherzer is a Boras client and Boras clients are making a huge deal out of this. Zac Gallen, a Boras client, went after Mike Hill who is working for MLB and the former GM of the Marlins. David Samson, former Marlins President who now does a podcast, says Boras clients are putting on a show over this as part of negotiations for the next collective bargaining agreement.

Not a big Joe Girardi fan, but I love that he did this. Max is acting like a child. deGrom had to get checked yesterday and he was totally fine with it.
I think you have it reversed. The childish one is the one asking for multiple checks.

I think you have it reversed. The childish one is the one asking for multiple checks.
He asked for one check (the second one). It's standard now that a SP is going to get checked after the 1st inning. And Max acted like a petulant child when they did what they said they were going to do. Makes you wonder how much he relied on the spider tack. Girardi did poke the bear asking for a 2nd check. I think it's good gamesmanship. It obviously got under Max's skin.

Reactions: GDA
He asked for one check (the second one). It's standard now that a SP is going to get checked after the 1st inning. And Max acted like a petulant child when they did what they said they were going to do. Makes you wonder how much he relied on the spider tack. Girardi did poke the bear asking for a 2nd check. I think it's good gamesmanship. It obviously got under Max's skin.
The way I understood it that was max's 3rd check of the night. If Girardi was requesting them, or hounding the umps from the dugout about it, then he has to be willing to accept that a pitcher is gonna get pissed. You can't go all "gamesmanship" on someone and get pissed when they call you out about it. Sounds more like a manager getting salty cause his batters can't generate offense and trying to play headgames with a pitcher to see if it throws a pitcher off his game. That's fine with me, but don't act like you're so surprised and offended someone's pissed off if that's exactly what you intended with your shenanigans.

The way I understood it that was max's 3rd check of the night. If Girardi was requesting them, or hounding the umps from the dugout about it, then he has to be willing to accept that a pitcher is gonna get pissed. You can't go all "gamesmanship" on someone and get pissed when they call you out about it. Sounds more like a manager getting salty cause his batters can't generate offense and trying to play headgames with a pitcher to see if it throws a pitcher off his game. That's fine with me, but don't act like you're so surprised and offended someone's pissed off if that's exactly what you intended with your shenanigans.
Who said I was surprised or offended? I wasn't surprised at all that Max acted like that. Boras has his guys trained well & Max has always been his most vocal soldier. He has a lot of loyalty to him after he quit on the Tigers in the playoffs and Boras got him that big contract.

Reactions: ggoblue
Well, he clearly poked the wrong bear and the "gamesmanship" did nothing but bring out the good stuff in Scherzer that his hitters couldn't touch.

Who said I was surprised or offended? I wasn't surprised at all that Max acted like that. Boras has his guys trained well & Max has always been his most vocal soldier. He has a lot of loyalty to him after he quit on the Tigers in the playoffs and Boras got him that big contract.
I'm referencing Girardi acting like he was so offended that Max was pissed. Not you. sorry if that wasn't clear.

Why didn't the coach step in before the next pitch was thrown? That's just as much on the coach.
We did, and the other team agreed it was three strikes. Umpires didn’t change the call.

This is an odd take. Free agency helps teams become relevant. No salary caps is baseball's biggest problen in my mind.
I actually agree about the salary cap issue, but am surprised that you feel like the free agency opinion is an “odd take.”

Spider Tack... Pitchers have always used substances as MLB looked the other way. Spider Tack is too much for them to ignore and its usage has been widespread. Due to this, spin rates are at an unnatural high and its one of the main reasons there's no offense in baseball this year. Higher spin rates mean more movement on pitches which makes them much harder to hit. Also, there's been a disproportionate number of injuries which along with the Spider Tack has caused averages and power numbers to crater league-wide.

Last edited:
This may be the most ridiculous thing I’ve seen. Opposing managers can now just randomly request foreign substance checks?

No way they’d use that to rattle a pitcher throwing well, right?
Always done it, just used to be used much more sparingly

I actually agree about the salary cap issue, but am surprised that you feel like the free agency opinion is an “odd take.”
I guess just because it has been the norm for awhile. I did not expect free agency to be the first problem. It's your take though.

An artificial and arbitrary limit on the market is baseball’s biggest problem? Ha!
I just think it's a necessary shuffling of players every year that can givr teams and fans new hope. What do you suggest?

I just think it's a necessary shuffling of players every year that can givr teams and fans new hope. What do you suggest?
YOU said that no salary cap is the biggest problem, so what is it that YOU suggest? I don’t think the lack of salary cap is an issue, and new hope for fans is not my concern. Just like any other industry, actors in competition have their own budgets, strategies, P&Ls, etc. that dictate their behavior and performance. The most efficient and productive will thrive.

YOU said that no salary cap is the biggest problem, so what is it that YOU suggest? I don’t think the lack of salary cap is an issue, and new hope for fans is not my concern. Just like any other industry, actors in competition have their own budgets, strategies, P&Ls, etc. that dictate their behavior and performance. The most efficient and productive will thrive.
Well I do think the contracts are pretty ridiculous. I'd have no problem with a salary cap like football. I do like free agency though for reasons stated above.

Reactions: GDA
Well I do think the contracts are pretty ridiculous. I'd have no problem with a salary cap like football. I do like free agency though for reasons stated above.
The salary cap system in the NFL is fantastic because there is none of this "big market/small market" stuff...or keeping your good players until they are eligible for free agency and then ending up on one of the New York, Boston, or Los Angeles teams.

Reactions: GDA and joelhindy1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT