ADVERTISEMENT

Mag Preview: Coaches outlook

Bob Miller

All-American
Jun 25, 2001
Berenson and coaches' outlook 14-15

For Michigan head coach Red Berenson, the goal is simple.

With his coaching staff of Billy Powers and Brian Wiseman, the clear and obvious goal for the 2014-15 season is to win their way back into the NCAA tournament after two years on the sidelines watching other teams compete for a national championship.

Prior to the last two years, Berenson and his Michigan teams went on an unprecedented 22-year streak of gaining entry into the national championship play down.

Entering his 31st season as head coach at Michigan, Berenson needs only twelve more victories to achieve his 800th career coaching win which would make him only the fourth coach in NCAA history to achieve that mark. Over that span of years, he's learned what it takes to achieve tournament selection.

"I can tell you that there was a year (before the streak) when we just about made the tournament," Berenson remembered. "We played the consolation game in our playoffs against Bowling Green and the consensus was that the winning team would probably be in the tournament. We won that game handily and yet Bowling Green was invited to the tournament. That really upset our whole team because we were knocking on the door to get in that tournament.

"We had a meeting after that and we all agreed our team can't make it close (for tournament entry). From then on, we were pretty decisive choices, pretty sure we'd be invited to the tournament. We earned our way in. It took a lot of good players and lot of good leaders. We got some luck along the way, but for the most part, our team was a top ten team in the country. Those are the teams that get into the tournament."

Improvements will be needed in goaltending and team defensive play. Finding the offense to replace departing players and, likely most importantly, receiving the leadership to blend the off-ice and on-ice components, will be crucial.

Berenson also doesn't harbor any illusions regarding the teams of the past two seasons.

"We haven't been that team in the last two years and we didn't deserve to be in the tournament," Berenson pointed out matter-of-factly. "Simple as that."

"I think all programs have high expectations, and when you don't meet them, obviously that's a challenge," said Berenson. "And for me, it wasn't about whether we made the tournament, it was whether or not we deserved to make the tournament. Did we have that kind of season?

"It really comes down to your team and what kind of season you've had. And when you deserve to make it, then you expect to make it, and when you don't, then you don't. I mean, I had no complaints about not making the tournament. Our team didn't deserve to. Yet we nearly did."

The challenge of the new season for the coaching staff will be to take the returning players and blend them with a talented crop of incoming freshmen.

The raw material of talent remaining among the returning players is substantial and, even in last year's disappointing result, gains were made.

"If you're as good as your last game, we weren't very good last year," Berenson pointed out. "But we like the improvement of some of our young players. We like our freshman class coming in. We're really a freshman-sophomore dominated team by numbers."

Assistant coach Wiseman cited several individuals on the verge of breaking out in the upcoming season.

"On offense, you look at a Zach Hyman," Wiseman said. "He had a nice progression last year from his freshman and sophomore year. We're anticipating he can take another step because his of his work ethic. The way that he approaches practice is going to allow him an opportunity to do that. We're encouraged about what he will bring in point production.

"Also, guys like Alex Kile, and Tyler Motte, now both sophomore, can elevate their games offensively. Add into the mix talented players like Dylan Larkin, a freshman, and Zach Werenski, also a freshman on defense. We're not placing goals and expectations on such a young guy coming in, but he's as talented as they come. With guys taking that step forward and new guys coming in, it's very encouraging for a coaching staff."

Michigan led the Big Ten with 68 goals scored in the 2013-14 season, but they finished next to last with 59 goals allowed. Shoring up the team defense as well as getting improved performances from the netminders and the defensemen will be crucial to success in 2014-15.

Traditional hockey lore states that a team's defense always starts in goal. Sophomore Zach Nagelvoort and junior Steve Racine return to serve as Michigan's main goaltending tandem.

Berenson said, "I like the improvement in both of our goalies. I think Steve Racine, two years ago, went on a 10-game winning streak at the end of the year and showed he could be better than he was the first half of his freshman year, and last year Zach Nagelvoort came in when Racine got hurt and he picked up the slack.

"This year I feel like we're going to be strong in that position. I can't tell you how many games either one will play, but I feel a lot more confident, I think our team does, as well, in our goalkeeping. It shouldn't be a question. You're always having question marks going into the season, and that shouldn't be one."

Sophomores Michael Downing, Kevin Lohan and Nolan De Jong will head the returning corps of defensemen, backed up by seniors Brennan Serville and converted forward Andrew Sinelli.

Highly touted freshman Werenski will add his skilled skating and offensive prowess to the Wolverines defensive mix.

"Michael Downing was probably our most improved defenseman last year, and he was a freshman,"said Berenson. He made a real impact and by the end of the year, he was as good as any of our D and that included our captain Mac Bennett. So, Downing is ready to have another strong season. He'll have a huge role on our team."

"Kevin Lohan is a big kid who got hurt in the first half of the year, so he never really got going. Those big kids take longer, but I think he's going to be real effective player this year. There are two sophomores that will be in our top four."

"Kevin and Nolan came in early and were effective as true freshmen," added Wiseman. "We need Serville and Sinelli, as seniors, to lead the way for the younger defensemen. The majority of our defensemen are going to be freshmen and sophomores. There's no question we have to be better, but it's an overall team defense mentality for us to be able to keep the puck out of our net."

Michigan's top two 2013-14 scoring forwards, sophomore J.T. Compher and junior Andrew Copp return to handle a large portion of the scoring load. However, the next three scoring leaders of that 2013-14 team, Alex Guptill, Luke Moffatt and Phil Di Giuseppe, have moved on due to graduation or signing professional contracts.

Freshmen Larkin and Dexter Dancs, in addition to returning senior Hyman, junior Boo Nieves, and sophomores Tyler Motte, Alex Kile and Evan Allen will seek to fill the scoring void left by the departing players.

"I think we have some young players that will be more productive this year, as well, and I hope that we're not a one-line team," offered Berenson about the offense. "I hope we're a team that has balance in scoring just like Minnesota was last year, and we'll see where that goes. But, I think guys like J.T. Compher will be ready to play a bigger role on the team. Andrew Copp led our team in scoring last year, and he's our captain going in along with Zach Hyman. I think Zach is going to have his best year this year. I really like the way our team is coming together off the ice as well as on the ice, but we haven't played a game yet."

Specifically regarding Compher, Berenson said, "Younger players, I think everyone gauges them on their offense, but if you're going to be a real pro, you've got to be able to play without the puck, and just like any of our young players, if they're going to be the real deal, they've got to play both ends, and J.T. is one of those players. He works just as hard defensively as he does offensively, but for him to take the next step, I think it's just putting a finishing touch on everything ,doing everything a little better.

Berenson was also adamant to point out that all the on-ice performances were important, but the team leadership he expects from new captain Copp and assistant captains Hyman and Compher could be the crucial determining component for success in 2014-15.

"The captains' leadership is huge," said Berenson. "We've got young players. Seventeen of our 27 players are freshman or sophomores and obviously leadership is important with players of that age. We saw that in the last two years. I think these young guys will get it real quick and will understand what it takes, how to play, how to behave, how to work and all the little things that go into being a student-athlete at Michigan."

Wiseman summed up the feeling of anticipation of heading into a new season fresh from the burdens of the past two non-tournament seasons.

"We sense the excitement in the players and even as coaches, it's not fun not playing hockey beyond the Big Ten schedule," said Wiseman. "Especially with the group we have, we're excited, especially with the leadership we have."

The Big Ten head coaches have noted the improvement expected from this season's Wolverine squad, tabbing Michigan to finish second in conference play.

The onus is now on the coaches and players to put the leadership component together with the improvement in team defense and continued offense to fulfill the expectations of the preseason predictions of the Big Ten coaches.

This is the first of four that I'll put on The Yost Post over the next week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT