ADVERTISEMENT

Mag preview: Captain's outlook

Bob Miller

All-American
Jun 25, 2001
This is the second of four pieces I'll post here that I did for the hard copy print magazine version of The Wolverine.

Captain's outlook

Andrew Copp and Zach Hyman haven't had the full Michigan hockey experience they anticipated when they made the decision to spend their college hockey careers as Wolverines at Yost Arena.

For 22 consecutive seasons, Michigan hockey teams qualified for the NCAA championship tournament. The past two seasons, however, have seen Ann Arbor native Copp and Toronto native Hyman relegated to the sideline when NCAA hockey tournament time has come around.

The two were chosen by teammates as two of three captains for the upcoming 2014-15 season along with J.T. Compher, a sophomore forward.

Copp, named captain, and Hyman, chosen as an assistant captain along with Compher, have decided it's on them to reverse Michigan's two-year streak of tournament misses.

Wolverine head coach Red Berenson is certain that he's got the right two guys with the "right stuff" to make the turnaround work.

"I think Andrew Copp is exceptional for his age in terms of his maturity and what it takes to be a leader, said Berenson of his junior captain. " I was really impressed with him in his freshman year. He ended up being an assistant captain in his sophomore year which is unusual and the team voted him as their captain pretty much unanimously after his sophomore year."

"He exudes a lot of the right things. He does the right thing on the ice, off the ice, in school. He's a good role model. He knows what it takes to win and he understands a team effort. He knows the difference between being a good leader and not a good leader."

Berenson is no less convinced about Hyman's readiness for the task ahead.

Of Hyman, Berenson said, "Zach Hyman is another terrific role model. This is Zach's first opportunity to be a captain here at Michigan. I'm sure he's been a captain when he was younger. He was also elected by his teammates. Zach is a hard worker every day in practice and in every game. He's a terrific student and he's a terrific kid. He and Andrew Copp are really good examples of what captains should be."

Both Copp and Hyman know exactly what they want and feel that they have the right raw material in their teammates' talent levels to achieve their goals.

"Getting the team back to playing "Michigan hockey' is something we've preached from day one, tending to our attitude, our focus," said Copp. "We've had a little bit of negativity from some people in the room over the last couple of years, not really feeling like practicing on a given day, etc.

"We're just trying to make the guys realize we're at one of the best institutions in the world, we're playing for one of the best coaches ever to coach hockey and we play in Yost Ice Arena which is a palace. On top of that, you're simply playing for Michigan and all the tradition and history that means."

"We're so lucky," Copp continued. " I think it's really resonated with the guys. Everyone feels lucky to be here. Hopefully, we're starting to get that negativity away. We're looking forward to coming to the rink each day. It's not a job, it's a privilege. We're getting the attitude back to where it should be for Michigan hockey."

Hyman echoed Copp's sentiments and described the team he wanted to help facilitate. The process started for Compher, Copp and Hyman immediately after the 2013-14 season.

"As captains, J.T., Copp and I sat down at the end of last year and we talked about what we wanted to do and to accomplish this year," Hyman started. "There are no specific goals, but the sky's the limit for this team. We talked about how we have to change the environment, make it into a hard-working team where everyone buys in to the process. It's only September/October and we're seeing guys already buying in, guys really wanting to be here. It's exciting."

The buy-in from their teammates was evident in as soon as the spring and definitely in full force during the summer.

Of the spring and summer months, Copp said, "Our entire team stayed for spring term. We were able to get workouts in five days a week. It's important for our guys to get closer off the ice through working out together. You go to class and then can hang out with the guys. It's really good for the returning guys.

"In the summer, we had a lot of guys stay. We had every single freshman here at some point over the summer. It gives everyone one a sense of comfort with each other before the season ever starts. Instead of having just one month before we play a game, we had two, three or four to get to know each other better. It helps when you're going to battle together."

Hyman elaborated on the summer process.

"We have a new strength guy." Explained Hyman. He has kind of re-vamped our whole off-ice program. He's made everything feel fresh and brand new. During the summer months, he ran us through his program. It wasn't something where you lift for one week. It was an eight-week program. It was completely off-ice and what we did was building towards the first day of the season.

"It was just awesome. The team was together and it really paid off. The vast majority of guys stayed in the summer and it's become a year-round thing working with our strength guy voluntarily. It's going to pay off for us."

The summer months faded into September and the process of informal practices conducted by the captains became the next vehicle for change. Coaches are limited to two hours per week on the ice with the team by NCAA regulation. That put the onus squarely on the shoulders of Copp, Hyman and Compher to maintain the summer's momentum.

"Captain's practices went very well," said Hyman. "Guys have been working very hard which is nice to see with coaches not there. We have a really young team. Everyone wants to prove themselves to the older guys. We're trying to instill a hard working environment and it's showing up well in the practices.

It's a little frustrating not having the coaches out there. It is good for younger guys trying to break in to feel a little bit less pressure with the coaches not out there. They're trying to get used to playing with new guys. They're coming into a new environment. Getting guys comfortable and getting guys moving is what we're trying to accomplish."

Copp was a little more guarded in his analysis of the September process.

Anytime you're having practices and the coaches aren't on the ice, especially at the start, not that they weren't as fully intense as possible, but it just isn't as crisp," explained Copp. "That can be attributed to not having the coaches on the ice. Over the last few weeks, we started to pick up the intensity. We're starting to get into 'game' focus with the season getting closer."

"What you can accomplish is more than a fitness edge. It's a chance to build familiarity with your linemates, getting out there with them. It's a chance to learn about the freshmen, see how they play. Even just getting comfortable with your new gear is beneficial. We don't really take time to work on systems or anything like that. Most of all, I think we've done a good job of establishing our attitude and focus for the year."

Michigan is still a team dominated by sophomores and freshmen. Returning teammates will have to match the new attitudes with improved performance on the ice. Both Copp and Hyman have confidence that the skill is there to win a tournament berth.

"J.T. (Compher) broke out last year in his freshman season, so I guess he doesn't count, but he's looked great," said Hyman of his fellow assistant captain. "I think that Tyler Motte should be in for a big jump. He's set to make another stride forward from his freshman season. On defense, Kevin Lohan should make that jump, too. With his knee injury, that kind of set him back a little, but he worked on other things. He was in the gym every day working on his legs or his upper body. He's had the whole summer to recover. He's a big kid, 6-5 I think, so he can do a lot of damage for us this year."

Copp added, "Michael Downing and Kevin Lohan on defense, in particular, are going to have big years. Nolan De Jong is a guy who will make a big contribution this year. Up front, Zach Hyman will be important. Tyler Motte is coming back strongly and obviously J.T. (Compher). Boo (Nieves) could have his best year and Alex Kile is going to even play a larger part this year. There are a whole bunch of guys right on the edge of big years. I think that speaks for the potential we have on this team."

Helping out the captains' planning has been the freshness of having eight members of the incoming freshman class. Eight new faces, eight new enthusiastic attitudes and eight new voices to be heard have enhanced Copp's and Hyman's plans for a new approach.

"We kind of wanted a fresh start from last year anyway, being so close to being in the tournament," Copp said. " Having eight new guys in the locker room is fun. It's important for them, too, to get familiar.

It's good to make those guys (the freshmen) feel comfortable. And, I think we've done a good job getting the team to gel early in the season."

"It is refreshing," agreed Hyman. "Every year, you have guys coming in and you have guys leaving. That first month is exciting because you're meeting new people. You're meeting the new guys that are going to help make your team better."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT