ADVERTISEMENT

MacDonald and Linguist may have their work cut out for them if they’re going to run a 3-4

smarsh

Michigan Man
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
At a first glance, this roster currently appears to lack the OLB/DE hybrids it generally takes to run a 3-4. Oajabo and Harrell seem like natural fits for the position, but even stretching optimism, the only other players on the current roster I can see even possibly fitting there are McGregor, Hutchinson, and VanSumeren (again.. stretching). I suspect they lack the mobility for that role, but hopefully I’m wrong, and would certainly like to see how the coaches view it. The new class has potential candidates in McLaurin and Bennett, but they likely won’t be ready physically for a year or two, so hopefully we’ll see some action in the transfer portal. A few of the recent offers over the last few days seem to be further evidence that we’ll be running it. That 6‘3-6’5, 210-230 lb LB or DE (sometimes even TE) is usually going to be a candidate for the position. Regardless, I like the move, and hope they have enough success to get the time they need to fill the roster with personnel that can excel in the scheme. If only this was 2018, because Paye and Uche would have excelled in the scheme, and Gary and Winovich are doing the same in the NFL

I’ve seen a few posts expressing concern over the defensive linemen on the roster, but we have more than enough size to run a 3-4. Some of us older posters remember the old school 3-4s with an immovable NT like Casey Hampton, Vince Wilfork, etc., but that isn’t really today’s 3-4. Of the best 3-4s in the NFL, the Ravens are the only team that utilizes the massive 330+ lb NT and even they switch it up. Green Bay, the Rams, Pittsburgh all basically use 3 DL about the size of a DL we’d put out there with any 3 of Hinton, Jeter, Mazi, Welschof and I‘m guessing Jenkins, Morris, Newburg, and Upshaw will be that size in a year or two. Others have also pointed out that 3-4 defenses like the Ravens and Steelers are in an actual 3-4 less than 1/3 of their snaps because of nickel and dime packages. It will be a relief to see an additional corner or cover safety on the field against some of these spread offenses like OSU. Overall, talent notwithstanding, I think the personnel is fine to transition to a 3-4, with the major exception being the depth issues at OLB noted above. Fortunately, I’m no MacDonald and if he’s the young, defensive mind some are suggesting, maybe he already has adjustments in mind to maximize the current roster despite said issues, while implementing his desired scheme.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.