ADVERTISEMENT

Love that the running game found its stride

MichaelJSpath

Sophomore
Dec 21, 2020
For all the talk about needing to throw more (myself 100% in that cohort), Michigan established the running game as its identity the first three weeks. Tough sledding the last two, but at the end of the day Blake Corum and Hassan Haskins remain your two biggest and most consistent playmakers offensively, and it was (and will continue to be) critical that they are focus of this offensive game plan. The Cornhuskers on the surface looked like a middling rush defense (they rank in the mid-50s) but in three previous Big Ten games they had allowed just 91.7 yards per game and 2.6 yards per carry so this was a rush defense playing good football. U-M kept with it and the big plays that Corum/Haskins produced were the payoff. GREAT to see because they're going to have to run the football against MSU, PSU and OSU to win. Hopefully the passing game continues to come along and guys like Baldwin and Sainristil gain some confidence. WRs are too inconsistent as is McNamara but there are strides being made.

That game was a roller coaster. Second half had plenty of frustrations but damn was that a great win by a team with the intangible qualities that a lot of recent Michigan teams have lacked. I keep saying (as I know many of you do) that Michigan is leaving too many points on the field, but these guys are finding ways to win when they had found ways to lose. That's going to give them a chance in the three big ones remaining. At this point, I'm not sure what to expect knowing Michigan State and Penn State are on the road (PSU entirely depends on Clifford's health). Obviously the floor for this team is now 9-3, but I wouldn't be surprised if U-M is 11-0 when it hosts Ohio State. That's not my prediction. I'd be pleasantly shocked to go into both hostile territories and win, but Michigan just went into two very tough road environments and won so anything is possible.

All I know is this has been a hell of a ride, been a blast watching our team every Saturday and to enter the halfway point 6-0 with a chance to do something really special ... what an awesome feeling.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.