ADVERTISEMENT

Lloyd Carr vs Mark Dantonio - Who was/is the better coach

Wolverine50550

Letterman
Jul 19, 2015
I have always wondered how good of a coach Lloyd Carr was. It seems he underachieved pretty much every year except 1997 and maybe 2006, but whenever the opportunity presented itself to have a 12-1/13-0 team for a top 4 finish based on the game we should win with the team and schedule we had many years, we would always lose to someone we should not. I know it happens to other coaches as well even the great ones, but not 11 out of 13 years especially when many of those 11 years the opportunity presented itself where Michigan should have accomplished at least a but more with their teams.

It seems Dantonio does more with less and the only 2 teams he lost 2 played for the NC last season. Also his 2013 season with a first year starting QB was better than any season Michigan had under Lloyd Carr except for 1997. And spare me they won it with only their defense. Michigan could have been the same in 2004 with a stacked defense, loaded oline despite having a 1st year starting QB and RB in Henne and Hart. Our 2004 team had no reason nor excuse not be as good as MSU's 2013 team. There is no way we should have lost to Ty Willingham's coached ND (yeah I know MSU lost to ND as well in 2013 and ND was not that great that year, but they were 9-4 and certainly better than Willingham's 6-6 ND when he got fired) and we also lost to a 4 loss OSU team and choked away against Texas in the Rose Bowl when at worst we should have only lost one of those games as our 2004 D with the talent and experience should have been as good as MSU's 2013 D. And there are many more examples I could come up with as to why Lloyd underachieved and was never elite.

Some say the Big Ten was much better when Carr was coaching. Well some years that may have been true but only when Penn State was actually good from 1995-1999, but utter garbage from 2000-2004. but it certainly was not in 2000 and many other years as well. Spare me the garbage that Purdue and NW were good in 2000 just cause we shared the Big Ten to them. Purdue and NW both had like 4 losses and got blown out in their Bowl games. We shared the Big Ten at 6-2 with them. Had Purdue and NW won 10-11 games in 2000 instead of just 8, then maybe you could make that argument about that year and no shame in losing to them even on the road.

As much as it pains me to say it and I hate Dantonio with such a passion I would not feel the slightest bit of remorse if that a**** smug had his property vandalized and/or the NCAA punished him even if it was wrongly accused or or whatever without going to the extreme and being too cruel as long as it hurts him and makes him lose coaching ability, it seems he is a better coach than Lloyd Carr given the above. Heaven forbid if he has another 1 loss or undefeated season or god forbid (I do not think it will happen, but the possibility is frightening) wins an NC, he would automatically be a better coach than LC as much as it would literally kill me emotionally to see that reality especially given that MSU has a basketball coach who has accomplished far more than anything we ever have in BB and more than Lloyd Carr accomplished at Michigan which LC represents the only good years of Michigan football in my lifetime of watching it from 1993 to present.

Agree or disagree.

Your thoughts.

Dantonio is way better. He came in and there was nothing. To fail at Michigan is epic. Lloyd does have one 1/2 title so he is a least 1/2 good.

N i t t a n y A m e r i c a

Carr: 13 seasons
Overall: 122-40 (.753)
BigTen: 81-23 (.778)
Bowls: 6-7
BCS Bowls: 2-3
Vs. MSU: 10-3

Dantonio: 8 seasons
Overall: 75-31 (.707)
Bigten: 45-19 (.703)
Bowls: 4-4
BCS Bowls: 2-0
Vs. Mich: 6-2

If all was even I would pick Carr, but he came into a much better spot.

I'd take Dantonio over Carr easily.

He took a joke of a program and built it into one of the most solid teams in the Big Ten and they play with a nasty attitude. Carr inherited a well established program stocked with NFL talent and did an okay job of maintaining it until the last 5 years or so.

Carr was given a gift and floated along living large on John Cooper and buying up the ref's to get ups on Penn State. JoePa was told a lot of things, but that he would be cheated at every turn when it came to Michigan? No. After Penn State won three of the first four ( the two schools never played before Penn State joining ), Michigan freak out. They went into uber mode and slammed Penn State into the stone age with the ref buy up.

MSU was down to nothing from the great 1950's and 60's teams. Now MSU can take Michigan at will. The only two teams that get a fair shake against Michigan today are MSU and OSU ( since Woody Hayes ).

This is changing now ( but Michigan already has secured their comfortable lead ) with Penn State. The way the future of conference voting is going Michigan will get voted out when it comes to the Michigan agenda. The days of the Michigan first agenda are over. All the other schools will just vote Michigan to shut up.

The biggest reason is Michigan is the most hated team in the B!G. It is not even close. Even Nebraska hates you.

Carr was given a gift and floated along living large on John Cooper and buying up the ref's to get ups on Penn State. JoePa was told a lot of things, but that he would be cheated at every turn when it came to Michigan? No. After Penn State won three of the first four ( the two schools never played before Penn State joining ), Michigan freak out. They went into uber mode and slammed Penn State into the stone age with the ref buy up.

MSU was down to nothing from the great 1950's and 60's teams. Now MSU can take Michigan at will. The only two teams that get a fair shake against Michigan today are MSU and OSU ( since Woody Hayes ).

This is changing now ( but Michigan already has secured their comfortable lead ) with Penn State. The way the future of conference voting is going Michigan will get voted out when it comes to the Michigan agenda. The days of the Michigan first agenda are over. All the other schools will just vote Michigan to shut up.

The biggest reason is Michigan is the most hated team in the B!G. It is not even close. Even Nebraska hates you.

Your world is all conspiracy theories. Dang man. Don't you get tired of crying about how the world has done you wrong and it's every body else's fault in life.

Can't compare the two as head coaches yet. Dicktonio was just becoming a HC as Carr was retiring. Dicktonio is also a HC in a new time and era from which Carr was coaching. As a HC, there is no doubt that Dicktonio has been an excellent head coach in his time. Really not a good question though. It's like comparing ACDC with Nirvana.

Go to Penn State's Rivals board please. BWI correct? Go talk with your team. We really don't care about PSU on here and could really care less about being hated as Michigan fans. I remember a guy telling me that PSU would DOMINATE the Big 10 when they joined the conference. I believed at that time that he may be correct but boy was I wrong. Both Michigan and OSU have handled the Nittany Lions quite well. I loved the 97 game on tv when Michigan busted your ass on every play when both were undefeated. Penn State took a major ass kicking that day. As for your head coach, I have always liked Joe Pa, however, like it or not, his legacy will ALWAYS be defined by Jerry Sandusky. Even if he does not deserve some of it. ( I do not really know the fine details and really do not care to know) O'brien did a great job in the midst of that horrible and unprecedented tradgedy. Good luck with this season though.

Don't kid yourself. Ped State is the most hated school in the Big Ten. That's what happens when you allow your coaches to rape little kids in your locker room and try to cover it up. You embarrassed the entire conference and gave us a huge black eye that will probably never go away and never be forgotten. I guarantee if it had been brought up to a vote we would have kicked your tin-foiled nutjob asses out of the conference.

Your world is all conspiracy theories. Dang man. Don't you get tired of crying about how the world has done you wrong and it's every body else's fault in life.

I am over it because it is what it is and it is over, but it still happened. The league secured your ups so what are you crying about. Now that we are here let's see what you got.

Don't kid yourself. Ped State is the most hated school in the Big Ten. That's what happens when you allow your coaches to rape little kids in your locker room and try to cover it up. You embarrassed the entire conference and gave us a huge black eye that will probably never go away and never be forgotten. I guarantee if it had been brought up to a vote we would have kicked your tin-foiled nutjob asses out of the conference.
But JoePed sent an email to his boss A DAY LATER! Everything's good, at least according to Ped America...

You were ask, should we kick Penn State out and you said yes, YES, YES but the rest of the league told you to shut up.

Because Penn State is too B!G to fail. Too much money. To much prestige. And the B!G had a new TV contract to secure and the Networks said no Penn State and the move gets cut in half. So the rest of the league told you which way the wind blows.

Get over it.

If you hate us all the better.

Nittany --- this topic has nothing to do w/ PSU and nobody was talking about them until you showed up. Seriously, you're becoming obnoxious over here.

Anyway, to the topic: One under-rated aspect of Dantonio's career is the way that he built a great base with the Cincinnati Bearcats in the 2004-2006 era. He was only 19-17 in his three years at UC, but that was with them taking a step up in competition from C-USA to the Big East. Much of Brian Kelly's success in the 2007-2009 era was done with Dantonio's players.

I think Dantonio wins this "contest", and his UC years are part of the reason why.

Nittany --- this topic has nothing to do w/ PSU and nobody was talking about them until you showed up. Seriously, you're becoming obnoxious over here.

Anyway, to the topic: One under-rated aspect of Dantonio's career is the way that he built a great base with the Cincinnati Bearcats in the 2004-2006 era. He was only 19-17 in his three years at UC, but that was with them taking a step up in competition from C-USA to the Big East. Much of Brian Kelly's success in the 2007-2009 era was done with Dantonio's players.

I think Dantonio wins this "contest", and his UC years are part of the reason why.

I am not here to yak about Penn State unless I get yaked on. Hey my vote has been cast. MSU is dangerous to everyone. We play them the last game this year and it will be nasty.

Welcome to the B!G is what I say...

I am not here to yak about Penn State unless I get yaked on.

"Yaked on"?

Were you "yakking" on a former football player when you WISHED that he had not recovered from an on-field injury, and remained immobile and unable to walk for the rest of his life?

Your ass needs to be banned. You are worse --- by a magnitude of 1000 --- than pnnylion.

"Yaked on"?

Were you "yakking" on a former football player when you WISHED that he had not recovered from an on-field injury, and remained immobile and unable to walk for the rest of his life?

Your ass needs to be banned. You are worse --- by a magnitude of 1000 --- than pnnylion.

So you visit our board, yes, yes yes, but please quote me in context not some far fetched wretch track that you speak of. And by the way by what means can you speak when you don't even know?

"Yaked on"?

Watch out, NttanyAmerica is over on the Buckeye Grove letting them know they will go 11-1...with that loss being to PedState (in Columbus).
This guy is a real winner!

Carr: 13 seasons
Overall: 122-40 (.753)
BigTen: 81-23 (.778)
Bowls: 6-7
BCS Bowls: 2-3
Vs. MSU: 10-3

Dantonio: 8 seasons
Overall: 75-31 (.707)
Bigten: 45-19 (.703)
Bowls: 4-4
BCS Bowls: 2-0
Vs. Mich: 6-2

If all was even I would pick Carr, but he came into a much better spot.

I think both coaches are great. I feel like you can't compare the 2 though. I think if roles were reversed, neither would be successful. If Carr was brought it to coach MSU, a program that was in the dumps 8 years ago, I am not sure he would have had the same success Dantonio has had over the past 8 years. Having said that if Dantonio was coaching Michigan with those insane expectations each and every year, I am not sure he would have done as well as Carr at Michigan. I think Carr was the perfect coach for us to keep the program afloat and at a national prominence. I think Dantonio is the perfect coach to take an underdog with a chip on it's shoulder and develop incredible toughness.

You forget Nittany America was a FB student under Sandusky so he is a bit shaken up. He mind is all screwed up. "74

I love when I hear Dantonio does more, with less. Dantonio's evaluation of talent might be the best in the country. L'veon (sp?) Bell was a two star recruit, but from day one, it was obvious he was at least a 4 star talent. MSU's LT, Jack Conklin, wasn't even rated. Within a year, it was obvious he should have been a high 4 star recruit. 6'6" 325 and athletic? How the hell does the recruiting services miss on a guy like that? Both Tre Waynes and Dennard, two MSU CB's that were drafted in the 1st round, were both 2 stars. Both should have been 4 star, if not 5 star recruits. It's gotten to the point that when MSU signs a 2 star recruit (about 1 a class), he's the guy I'm most anxious to see.

So, is Dantonio really doing more with less? I'd say no. Several years ago, MSU's stable of QB's consisted of Brian Hoyer (just named starter of the Houston Texans, BTW), Nick Foles and Kirk Cousins. Cook will be the next one playing in the NFL, and behind him on the roster, there are 2 four star recruits a 3 star guy (for the star gazers out there). Yeah, MSU has some serious talent. But is he a better coach than Carr was? I'd say probably. Carr never had a 5 year run anywhere close to MSU's past five seasons. Not many teams in the Big Ten ever have. Hell, MSU is the only team in the country to finish the season in the top five the past two years. UM has to go back to 1947 and 1948 since they managed that.

I love when I hear Dantonio does more, with less. Dantonio's evaluation of talent might be the best in the country. L'veon (sp?) Bell was a two star recruit, but from day one, it was obvious he was at least a 4 star talent. MSU's LT, Jack Conklin, wasn't even rated. Within a year, it was obvious he should have been a high 4 star recruit. 6'6" 325 and athletic? How the hell does the recruiting services miss on a guy like that? Both Tre Waynes and Dennard, two MSU CB's that were drafted in the 1st round, were both 2 stars. Both should have been 4 star, if not 5 star recruits. It's gotten to the point that when MSU signs a 2 star recruit (about 1 a class), he's the guy I'm most anxious to see.

So, is Dantonio really doing more with less? I'd say no. Several years ago, MSU's stable of QB's consisted of Brian Hoyer (just named starter of the Houston Texans, BTW), Nick Foles and Kirk Cousins. Cook will be the next one playing in the NFL, and behind him on the roster, there are 2 four star recruits a 3 star guy (for the star gazers out there). Yeah, MSU has some serious talent. But is he a better coach than Carr was? I'd say probably. Carr never had a 5 year run anywhere close to MSU's past five seasons. Not many teams in the Big Ten ever have. Hell, MSU is the only team in the country to finish the season in the top five the past two years. UM has to go back to 1947 and 1948 since they managed that.

Nick Foles went to Arizona, not MSU.

Nick Foles went to Arizona and graduated. Was drafted by the Eagles and then traded. What happen before was of little consequence.

Nick Foles went to Arizona and graduated. Was drafted by the Eagles and then traded. What happen before was of little consequence.

Just admit you were wrong. MSU had Hoyer, Foles and Cousins on the same freaking roster.

I have always wondered how good of a coach Lloyd Carr was. It seems he underachieved pretty much every year except 1997 and maybe 2006, but whenever the opportunity presented itself to have a 12-1/13-0 team for a top 4 finish based on the game we should win with the team and schedule we had many years, we would always lose to someone we should not. I know it happens to other coaches as well even the great ones, but not 11 out of 13 years especially when many of those 11 years the opportunity presented itself where Michigan should have accomplished at least a but more with their teams.

It seems Dantonio does more with less and the only 2 teams he lost 2 played for the NC last season. Also his 2013 season with a first year starting QB was better than any season Michigan had under Lloyd Carr except for 1997. And spare me they won it with only their defense. Michigan could have been the same in 2004 with a stacked defense, loaded oline despite having a 1st year starting QB and RB in Henne and Hart. Our 2004 team had no reason nor excuse not be as good as MSU's 2013 team. There is no way we should have lost to Ty Willingham's coached ND (yeah I know MSU lost to ND as well in 2013 and ND was not that great that year, but they were 9-4 and certainly better than Willingham's 6-6 ND when he got fired) and we also lost to a 4 loss OSU team and choked away against Texas in the Rose Bowl when at worst we should have only lost one of those games as our 2004 D with the talent and experience should have been as good as MSU's 2013 D. And there are many more examples I could come up with as to why Lloyd underachieved and was never elite.

Some say the Big Ten was much better when Carr was coaching. Well some years that may have been true but only when Penn State was actually good from 1995-1999, but utter garbage from 2000-2004. but it certainly was not in 2000 and many other years as well. Spare me the garbage that Purdue and NW were good in 2000 just cause we shared the Big Ten to them. Purdue and NW both had like 4 losses and got blown out in their Bowl games. We shared the Big Ten at 6-2 with them. Had Purdue and NW won 10-11 games in 2000 instead of just 8, then maybe you could make that argument about that year and no shame in losing to them even on the road.

As much as it pains me to say it and I hate Dantonio with such a passion I would not feel the slightest bit of remorse if that a**** smug had his property vandalized and/or the NCAA punished him even if it was wrongly accused or or whatever without going to the extreme and being too cruel as long as it hurts him and makes him lose coaching ability, it seems he is a better coach than Lloyd Carr given the above. Heaven forbid if he has another 1 loss or undefeated season or god forbid (I do not think it will happen, but the possibility is frightening) wins an NC, he would automatically be a better coach than LC as much as it would literally kill me emotionally to see that reality especially given that MSU has a basketball coach who has accomplished far more than anything we ever have in BB and more than Lloyd Carr accomplished at Michigan which LC represents the only good years of Michigan football in my lifetime of watching it from 1993 to present.

Agree or disagree.

Your thoughts.
Mark Dantonio is one of the best coaches in the country, Lloyd Carr was an average coach that used the Michigan connection to do as well as he did.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT