ADVERTISEMENT

Leyland has really lost it. What was he doing with Miner today?

BigTenKing

Heisman
Oct 26, 2002
The kid was getting rocked by the Chicago hitters from the second inning on and Leyland waits until he has given up 8 ER in 3 1/3 IP (despite Bonine being up and throwing the entire third inning) before finally giving him the hook. Miner did not have it at all today. After Chicago had roughed up Zach for four in the third inning to go up 6-1, we get right back in it with a three-run HR from Santiago in the bottom of the third to make it 6-4.

Logic would dictate that we would see a fresh pitcher from the bullpen to replace Miner on this raw, windy April day in Detroit now that we were back in the game. Nope. Senile Jimmy decides to come back with Miner to start the fourth inning. Miner gets the first guy with a bit of a break (hard grounder off of Miner that Inge makes a nice play on), after that he gives up a sharp single to CF which is followed by yet another Chicago HR to put the Chisox back up 8-4. Finally Senile Jimmy decides to pull the plug on Zach for the day. I like Miner, but even Stevie Wonder could've seen that he didn't have his good stuff today. What in the world was Leyland waiting for? Even if the Tigers come back to win this one, Leyland didn't do his pitcher or his team any favors in letting Chicago get out to the early big lead when Miner had no business being in the game. It is mind boggling how bad of a manager Leyland is devolving into with each passing season.

Your points are valid but I'm just ecstatic to be rid of that cancer that

was Sheff. Hope they can get rid of Willis too. I think this season is going to be a lot better than 08. Porcello looks like he's ready. I like Anderson's speed. Miggy is starting out hot and Inge looks like he should win the gold glove at third. It's a long season but I'm so, so much more optimistic than I was a year ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT