ADVERTISEMENT

Leadership and decision making thoughts...

wiedster9

All-American
Jan 6, 2012
Ok I want to get opinions from some of the people out there in leadership making roles. This post is obviously started because of what happened in OU and the recent decision to expel the offenders. I for one agree with the expulsion. But my problem is more with leadership in general. I am a former Navy officer and was in a positon of leadership over many great young sailors. But, what I consider to be good leadership and what I have been taught is the way to lead and make decision seems completely absent from our society. For example: I saw someone post "I am really happy they made a quick decisive move to expel the students"

I agree that expulsion would probably ultimately be the correct decision. My problem is in the thinking that making quick decisions when you have time to think is somehow good leadership. I know the media dogs would be hounding them to do something, but that is what a good leader does. He/she takes the pressure and influences and all the other external "noise" and sets it aside. Evaluates all of the options and makes a decision they deem to be the best for all involved regardless of pressure. Would the same decision have been made if the video wasn't leaked but sent to the dean instead? What would have been decided if the President had only heard rumors? Would they have investigated?
My overriding point is that a right decision is right whether one person knows about it or the whole world. The only thing that changes is perception. How often will the right decision be made quickly and immediately after something happens that effects you emotionally? Or is it usually after you take a step back and think before you decide?

I posted the below on another thread but it really made me want others opinions on this. Can you be an effective leader if you only do what is expected of you by society?

The other side of our society though is a general pass the buck attitude
of people in a position of authority. When the whole university is in
trouble.... what does the PC script read to get us out of trouble this time?
Hmmm says here to talk about zero tolerance for _____, then distance yourself
from the offenders, shouting them down from the hills. Got it GO! Does anyone
ever actually step up and say this is our problem. And then try to own it and
be responsible for it and fix it? How about the question how did this culture
manage to thrive on our campus? Is it unique to SigEp or are there other
fraternities and groups purporting this behavior on campus that we don't know
about? Should we make tolerance training mandatory for all incoming freshman to
our university? How did our leadership in charge of the Greek life on campus
not know about this? What else are they missing or ignoring?

I am just really really not a fan of the PC move of lets rip the band-aid off
and pretend that's it we are good nothing to see here anymore! We are awesome
now! Really it was just them! Just that fraternity that was on campus for
over 100 years not at all ingrained in the rest of campus!

This post was edited on 3/10 3:56 PM by wiedster9

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.