ADVERTISEMENT

Kudos to Izzo for having an unreal 12-18 mos. of recruiting but is it possible that his...

maelfan

All-League
Aug 7, 2014
extremely desperate feelings to cement his legacy with more than 1 titles is causing him to compromise his recruiting tactics?

He is having a Kentucky, Fab Five, UNLV, etc. type run in recruiting that other than Duke has almost never ended well. Just sayin'. Maybe a little "don't worry about class", "you're here for basketball" type deal.

Not like he hasn't seriously compromised his supposed high standards before to save a season or prepare for a championship season (Randolph, Appling, Payne) the last two who should have been dismissed from the program.

Hope he isn't lowering his standards regarding tactics and promises of majoring in basketball instead of school but who knows.

He's recruiting better than ever right now, but he's still being out recruited by Duke and Kentucky.

Izzo has always struck me as a guy who wants to win in the worst way. No different than Harbaugh or Saban. So I think the OP isn't too far off the mark.

I think Izzo plays within the rules but like Calipari at UK...it's basketball first. I give the guy credit...come to MSU for a year or so and leave. It's the semi pro operation that schools engage in to win it all.

RM

Izzo has always struck me as a guy who wants to win in the worst way. No different than Harbaugh or Saban. So I think the OP isn't too far off the mark.

I think Izzo plays within the rules but like Calipari at UK...it's basketball first. I give the guy credit...come to MSU for a year or so and leave. It's the semi pro operation that schools engage in to win it all.

RM

He has had 6 players depart early in 19 years (and had an 8 year gap between #4 and #5):

Zach Randolph - 2001(after 1 year)
Jason Richardson - 2001 (after 2 years)
Marcus Taylor - 2002 (after 2 years)
Shannon Brown - 2006 (after 3 years)
Gary Harris - 2014 (after 2 years)
Deyonta Davis - 2016 (after 1 year)

Not exactly promoting a semi-pro culture. It has been the exception and not the rule.

Although some things change like with Coach K. Give Izzo a little bit of time to transition.

Not a bad guy nor is coach K. As in Rome...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT