ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting ITB Extra: Insider Notes On Top Edge Rusher Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
*** Michigan is surging in the recruitment of four-star 2022 Raleigh (N.C.) Leesville Road defensive end Beau Atkinson. The Wolverines had a group call with him and his family last week and made a huge impression. I'm told the call went so well that those on the Michigan side feel they may have a slight lead for Atkinson heading into summer official visits. Atkinson loves the blend of elite football and academics U-M offers, and I'm told his father loved the Wolverines' pitch on Atkinson being the next Aidan Hutchinson. Atkinson is an intriguing prospect that could be a standard edge rusher or move around the defensive line. I'm told Michigan loves his versatility. Atkinson is set to officially visit Michigan on June 11. Cal, Miami, Penn State and Virginia are some others high on his list.

*** Michigan is slated to host three-star 2022 Jacksonville (Fla.) Bartram Trail defensive end Micah Pollard for an official visit on June 4. I put in a FutureCast in favor of Michigan a couple of months ago and still feel confident in that pick. In fact, I spoke to sources close to the program that believe Pollard could pull the trigger and commit to Michigan before leaving campus next month. Pollard is the nephew of Michigan great Braylon Edwards and has a lot of family in the state of Michigan. On top of that, U-M linebackers coach George Helow is from Jacksonville and has done a great job of connecting with Pollard on a personal level. Auburn, Ole Miss and Kentucky are still involved here.

*** Rising 2023 Garland (Texas) Lakeview Centennial defensive end Trey Wilson is set to make his way to Michigan for an unofficial visit on June 8. I wrote about Wilson last week as a prospect that the Wolverines could pull out of the Lone Star State next cycle. Wilson is a high academic kid willing to leave the region and is a former teammate of Michigan signee Ike Iwunnah, who he looks up to as an older brother type. I would say Oklahoma State is the early leader for Wilson, but it wouldn't be surprising to see Michigan jump the Cowboys once he sees Ann Arbor for the first time.

*** New Michigan defensive analyst Ryan Osborn is proving to be a rising star on the recruiting trail. As I mentioned last cycle, Michigan needed to get defensive line coach Shaun Nua as much help as possible — despite all the rah-rah elsewhere about the 2021 close (again, he had a lot of help). And that's exactly what Michigan did when they hired Osborn. Osborn is the primary recruiter for all of Michigan's edge rusher targets minus Pollard because of Helow's connections to Jacksonville. He has done a tremendous job with the guys mentioned as well as prospects like Anto Saka and Joshua Jospehs, both of whom are set to come in for summer official visits. Nua is pretty much down to just defensive tackles and coaching as new Director of Player Personnel Courtney Morgan has taken on most of his West Coast duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.