ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Intel: On Carter Smith and 2025 QB recruiting

Josh Henschke

Publisher
Staff
Oct 26, 2021
You'll likely start to hear some buzz emanating out of Ann Arbor when it comes to 2025 QB Carter Smith, who visited the program for the Purdue game.

By all accounts, the visit had a major impact on him and some are theorizing that the Wolverines actually lead for him coming out of the visit.

You see 2025 QB and you immediately get a pause, considering where things are for five-star Bryce Underwood. After talking to some folks, it sure doesn't feel as if these two things are related to one another.

I haven't gotten anyone to say with certainty that they would take two quarterbacks if Smith and Underwood want to join but I also didn't get word about taking one before the other.

The way it was outlined to me from someone inside the building, the coaches like Smith a lot. Unreal kid and unreal playmaker. They're in the process of evaluating the 2025 QB class based on attrition factors such as whether J.J. McCarthy leaves after the season (not a guarantee but something they have to account for), they didn't take a QB in the 2023 class and whether one of the 2022 QBs leave after the season due to lack of playing time. It's an overall roster evaluation.

While it sure sounds like it could be potentially a two-quarterback class, it hasn't been explicitly stated by anyone I've spoken to. Underwood is still QB1 on their target board as he announces in January.

I would not view positive buzz coming from Smith and U-M in relation to Underwood and any potential standing there. He's the top priority.

We'll see how the offseason shakes out and what the QB depth chart looks like in the coming weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News