ADVERTISEMENT

I can't recall...

buttaball

Michigan Man
Gold Member
Oct 2, 2001
Columbia, MD
A Michigan football program that, in the preseason, had the best projected DT in the nation. Mason Graham is that "unblockable" DT with all of the tools- Size, explosiveness, productivity, technique - that all Michigan fans have been wishing for.

Graham may be the best all-around DT I've ever seen at Michigan (and I started watching in the 70's).

Not Mazi Smith (1st round, 26th pick), nor Alan Branch (2nd round, 1st pick), who both were dominant, can approach Graham's talent level.

Pretty certain that I have NEVER seen two Michigan DTs with a first round projection prior to the season either. Grant has the potential to be right up there with Graham, considering how he came on strong at the end of last season. Even so, he is ranked as a top 25 pick in most mocks.

One thing that I am absolutely certain about: This is the first Michigan team that could have top 10 picks at CB and DT, with the top prospect at both positions on their D, with a second first round DT almost certain to be taken, as Grant is DT #3 in the rankings (behind, ironically former Detroiter and current UK DT Deone Walker).

After these three players: Will Johnson, Grant, and Graham , the D brings back even more talent and experience with their ends, LBs, and S. Thinking of last season's biggest games, I close my eyes and see Stewart collapsing Bama's 1st-round OT into Millroe, or Q. Johnson forcing a key Millroe fumble, or Grant's sack vs Washington, or D. Moore's sacks vs Iowa and Bama down the stretch: Michigan isn't exactly returning scrubs elsewhere on that D.

I just think that many seem to take Grant and Graham for granted, as if they aren't the dominant forces that we saw at the end of last season. Will Johnson already was he top CB in CFB, as far as I'm concerned, especially considering the fact that we faced who were supposed to be the best (Alabama's two starters who are now first round picks).

Building in the usual improvement players make from one year to the next, how do offenses move the ball against this D? How do they block our DL?

F OSU...MICHIGAN returns the best D in the nation, when getting past the usual OSU hype.

Pennix couldn't effectively lead the nation's #1 offense, and physically, he barely made it through the championship game. He was being protected by the Joe Moore line, yet was walking on "Fred Sanford rheumatism legs" by Q4.

Millroe couldn't effectively, because, despite being able to run, he couldn't escape Michigan's pass rush. The key player in giving up all of the interior pressure to Michigan in the Rose Bowl was Bama's crappy C, a dude who is used as an example of OSU's "elitism" despite playing terribly vs the very DTs he has to face when playing Michigan.

Too many key ingredients, and top-tier talent returning for the D to take a step back, and I actually think that this D, though different may be even more disruptive than last season's #1 D.

Though some key pieces are gone, I see Michigan's D as being dominant, disruptive, and, similar to 2018 (before the OSU debacle): A D that will knock multiple QBs out of games.

Unstoppable pressure up the middle combined with half of the field, or your team's top WR being taken away, and add some championship experienced DE's, and safeties sounds like a recipe for disaster for our opponents.

I for one will be watching these guys closely, because it may be a long time before wee see not one but 2 DTs like this, plus a reasonable facsimile of a Woodson-level athlete (6'2", 215 with blazing speed) at CB.

Expecting a lot of this:
29db7943a5518067574c5e7f97847365.jpg

It should be a ton of fun to watch for Michigan fans...
giphy.gif

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.