ADVERTISEMENT

Holy Toledo I can't believe we survived the last 9 minutes of that game

I thought the full third period was a sign of good coaching; a clear game plan to guard a three goal lead. If Lavigne catches a fairly easy shot, Wisconsin doesn’t even get their only goal.

Clear the defensive zone at all cost - dump the puck out. When on offense, dump the puck in the corner and forecheck cautiously.

I thought the full third period was a sign of good coaching; a clear game plan to guard a three goal lead. If Lavigne catches a fairly easy shot, Wisconsin doesn’t even get their only goal.

Clear the defensive zone at all cost - dump the puck out. When on offense, dump the puck in the corner and forecheck cautiously.
One thing that seemed to really help in the third was very short shifts. Doing that seemed to help keep them fresh for most of the period. Which also avoids penalties.

It seems that helped a lot when they managed to get control deep. Which both wastes time and takes energy from the other team.

Mel disagrees with you guys - still saying "we still need to learn how to manage the game when we get a lead" - but maybe that is coachspeak (i.e. looking for something to coach the boys up on this week).

Despite our 2 victories - Trent Frederick still lit us up - one of the "mysteries of hockey", how the best players seem to find themselves alone in the scoring areas with the puck on their stick. I would see Kyle Conner score a goal 2 years ago and think, "It's like the other team forgot he was out there."

BTW Alphadriver - not to give you a hard time, but at about 8:03 of the first period on Friday night all could think of was your last post from the previous weekend, "the players know" that they have to be better than they were against Arizona State . . . . :)

Mel disagrees with you guys - still saying "we still need to learn how to manage the game when we get a lead" - but maybe that is coachspeak (i.e. looking for something to coach the boys up on this week).

Despite our 2 victories - Trent Frederick still lit us up - one of the "mysteries of hockey", how the best players seem to find themselves alone in the scoring areas with the puck on their stick. I would see Kyle Conner score a goal 2 years ago and think, "It's like the other team forgot he was out there."

BTW Alphadriver - not to give you a hard time, but at about 8:03 of the first period on Friday night all could think of was your last post from the previous weekend, "the players know" that they have to be better than they were against Arizona State . . . . :)

I don’t believe Mel was speaking of the third period. Earlier in the game, they could have put the game away, but allowed Wisconsin to hang around. And, Coachspeak.

Would not be the first time that the players said something that took a while to work into a game.... Very scary slow start.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT