ADVERTISEMENT

Harbaugh is good coach but the college game has passed him by...

maelfan

All-League
Aug 7, 2014
Pin this. Save this. Laugh like you did when I said this team and staff was a train wreck entering the MSU game.

Josh Jackson was never seriously on our radar. Why? Because the game has passed him by. And would it matter anyway without an ability for Harbaugh to develop an O Line.

Harbaugh and the talent he brings in will go 8-5 to 10-3 every year.

Maybe his luck runs out in one of these games vs IU, Minnesota, etc that he's inexplicably barely won the last three years and we go 7-6 one year. Maybe he gets lucky and Urban or Franklin or Kelly or Dantonio, four far better coaches have some injuries or bad luck and we beat them when they're good and he goes 11-2 one year.

But my money is on 8-5 to 10-3 every year. His kids look very uninspired and have in every game but Florida. They look tired, burned out, like they're not having fun. They are getting brutally outschemed when it matters most, even last year. The McCray/Furbush running with WRs and RB's the last three games, even before that is beyond head scratching. It smacks of Brian g outsmarted and being lazy and being less committed. When drunk know nothing football fans see it week in and week out from far away and you can't see the problem on film in five seconds, we have a major problem.

All signs of a head coach either over his head or not fully bought in. I think Harbaugh is both.

You're going too far here. We've had some issues with OL development/play calling to be sure. So far we've shown we can reload on D even though PSU thoroughly out schemed us last night. However, our best QB has been a one year rental from Iowa. Regardless of play calling, I don't see a lot of talent at that position. I expect the OL to continue to get better. If Peters is the guy we could be looking at a MUCH different situation next year..

We're essentially a 7-11 win program until we get the QB/OL issues resolved. You'll be correct if those issues are never resolved.

Last edited:
Not sure if the college game has passed him by. I think he realizes he needs a more athletic qb, which he's recruited. I think he realizes with this o-line it doesn't matter what qb plays. Whomever plays, will be constantly under pressure. Thus, why take the risk. The center play is avg, RG avg, and RT play awful. That said, not sure the o-line play is going to be any better next year as we lose our best o-lineman. Additionally, other than Ruiz and Filiago we haven't seemed to be able to land any real studs the last couple of years, and from what we're seeing out of the o-line, very little confidence in Drevno to coach em up. Ruiz should be an improvement at center, and hopefully, Newsome returns at LT. However, is Newsome an improvement? The right side is still a mystery. I think what we're getting out of RG is what we'll get, and will Chuck F. be any better in his first season. Given the state of the o-line, not to mention WR play, the play calling is completely baffling. Why is it, that we never seem to run a quick slant when we need 4 to 5 yards for a first? I wonder if the hiring of Frey and Hamilton is a pre-cursor for the departure of Drevno? Harbaugh is a prideful coach no doubt, hopefully, he makes the right decisions with the offensive staff, and doesn't play stubborn like Carr with regard to cronyism. At a $1M per year, nothing wrong with the fan base expecting more out of the OC!

Reactions: DrCorona
Given the state of the o-line, not to mention WR play, the play calling is completely baffling. Why is it, that we never seem to run a quick slant when we need 4 to 5 yards for a first? !

Or any quick passes in general to the WRs (bubble, quick pass to the WR at the LOS, drag routes), or routes to the RBs matched up against LBs (wheel, flat,etc).. Why haven't we seen Issac in at FB with either Evans or Higdon to give O'Korn more weapons in the passing game?

Instead we get 4th and 11 play action pass plays down 22 in the 4th quarter. Who the hell is that going to fool?

Play calling is bad, I don't think Drevno is a good Off Coord
They need a D Brown type to coach OL and QB's and RB's
TE's aren't used enough, no passes to RB's out of the backfield,enough,either and I'm not talking passes out right or left, but downfield 5-10 yds.
Even I could see that McCray couldn't cover Barkley, he is too slow.

Reactions: marcdigesti
Pin this. Save this. Laugh like you did when I said this team and staff was a train wreck entering the MSU game.

Josh Jackson was never seriously on our radar. Why? Because the game has passed him by. And would it matter anyway without an ability for Harbaugh to develop an O Line.

Maybe his luck runs out in one of these games vs IU, Minnesota, etc that he's inexplicably barely won the last three years and we go 7-6 one year. Maybe he gets lucky and Urban or Franklin or Kelly or Dantonio, four far better coaches have some injuries or bad luck and we beat them when they're good and he goes 11-2 one year.

But my money is on 8-5 to 10-3 every year. His kids look very uninspired and have in every game but Florida. They look tired, burned out, like they're not having fun. They are getting brutally outschemed when it matters most, even last year. The McCray/Furbush running with WRs and RB's the last three games, even before that is beyond head scratching. It smacks of Brian g outsmarted and being lazy and being less committed. When drunk know nothing football fans see it week in and week out from far away and you can't see the problem on film in five seconds, we have a major problem.

All signs of a head coach either over his head or not fully bought in. I think Harbaugh is both.[/Q

All signs of a head coach either over his head or not fully bought in. I think Harbaugh is both.

Did you make the trip? If so, hope you enjoyed youreselves.

I do not see improvement in the OL next year. Heaven for bid a transfer out of a QB. I will ignore the rumor. The RB position has been a disappointment for most of the season. Evans seems to have regressed and moved down the playing chart. The loss of Black seems to be the biggest factor in stretching the field. Peoples-Jones was supposed to be the fastest WR but does not seem to get open. The team seems tired and I do not know how long or physical the practices are, but Harbaugh has a tendency to drive them hard. Need to recruit more flexible OL if you ask me.

We need to have a little perspective. First off, 10-3,10-3,5-2.. 2ndly, I'm of the opinion in most cases you need 3 things to be a legit contender.. QB, defense, coach... The best QB we've had was a 1 year rental w/ from Iowa. We also miraculous won 10 games with Wilton Speight as a 1st year starter. Let's stay the course & when we get the players things will turn out in our favor.

Reactions: 1997WOLVERINES
We need to have a little perspective. First off, 10-3,10-3,5-2.. 2ndly, I'm of the opinion in most cases you need 3 things to be a legit contender.. QB, defense, coach... The best QB we've had was a 1 year rental w/ from Iowa. We also miraculous won 10 games with Wilton Speight as a 1st year starter. Let's stay the course & when we get the players things will turn out in our favor.

I know it man some people act like Harbaugh is getting blown out with top developed talent right now. We lost 43 seniors last year there was no way we were going undefeated or beating a older psu team in happy valley. I am disappointed with the offense and msu loss but I expected 8-4 or 9-3 at best this year so I think we are right on track. Our team should be loaded with classes from 13-15 and its just not. This was a rebuilding year, next year we take a leap forward but in my opinion every year after Harbaugh will play for a championships. I think if our offense had older guys Peters would of been in already, I think part of why he is out is because he just doesnt line everyone up or take control the way the 2 senior guys do.

Motekiai-langi-1.jpg

Reactions: NittanyLogan'11
Like I said, we haven't had the pieces to be a contender yet 10-3-10-3 not 6-2 with a promising debut from our future QB. Nothing about 5 returning starters said playoffs this year but with Peters finally seeing the field at least we have realistic possibilities for 2018 if he develops into a very good QB.

Everyone take a breath.. The Harbaugh era really just started yesterday...

Reactions: hddude55

Disagree with everything after Harbaugh is a good coach.

He is a good coach but can he be a great coach? He needs to find a good OC and he will just fine. If he keeps this staff and Michigan under performs next year, then it may get a little bit hot for him.

Reactions: nead

Disagree with everything after Harbaugh is a good coach.

He is a good coach but can he be a great coach? He needs to find a good OC and he will just fine. If he keeps this staff and Michigan under performs next year, then it may get a little bit hot for him.
I watched the game closely the other day and it was...”against Rutgers”. I think we need better players still. We are still recruiting weak vs. the true powerhouse programs. We lost a top OL today (Flipped to Alabama), then picked up a three star RB to replace him? Hummm..what if we just had better players like Alabama puts on the field every year?

Year four coming and fans are already resigned to a 9-3 record at best. At what point is it obvious that a coach is massively overrated?

This isn't about Drevno. This isn't about Brown's very overrated defenses.
This is Harbaugh's team. Harbaugh's program. This is on him.

And to know already that the state of his program makes it almost obvious that we will be 9-3 at best next year tells you everything you need to know about his program after 39 games and a 28-11 record following two more losses this year.

Year four coming and fans are already resigned to a 9-3 record at best. At what point is it obvious that a coach is massively overrated?

This isn't about Drevno. This isn't about Brown's very overrated defenses.
This is Harbaugh's team. Harbaugh's program. This is on him.

And to know already that the state of his program makes it almost obvious that we will be 9-3 at best next year tells you everything you need to know about his program after 39 games and a 28-11 record following two more losses this year.
Why only a 9-3 record next year? Not seeing that myself honestly.

I don't think the college game has passed by Harbaugh. I expect some disappointment among the fan base because he seemed like the perfect hire, at the perfect time- and many of you thought you would have a National Championship by now. Some of you guys blasted me three years ago when I came on here and said with Harbaugh Michigan seems to be in the upswing. You thought it was an insult that I said "seemed." Harbaugh is missing a QB, and maybe a game breaking RB. If he had McSorely and Barkley on this team the Wolverines are likely undefeated and 1 or 2 in the country.

I don't think the college game has passed by Harbaugh. I expect some disappointment among the fan base because he seemed like the perfect hire, at the perfect time- and many of you thought you would have a National Championship by now. Some of you guys blasted me three years ago when I came on here and said with Harbaugh Michigan seems to be in the upswing. You thought it was an insult that I said "seemed." Harbaugh is missing a QB, and maybe a game breaking RB. If he had McSorely and Barkley on this team the Wolverines are likely undefeated and 1 or 2 in the country.

I don't know what people don't seem to understand about this.. You're not winning w/o a QB period. We got by with a rental QB in year #1. Harbaugh coached up Speight in year #2 until the injury. This year, we've had musical chairs at QB with our RS FR probably being the best of the lot and we're 8-3. FSU, which probably has more overall talent that UM, lost their QB and they're not even going to make a bowl game..

I'll continue to say this until it sinks in. Until we have a QB and the OL issues are resolved, we're in a 8-11 win holding pattern as a program..

Reactions: marcdigesti

Your post has some merit. I just don’t think Jim is an elite coach. I do think he is good. He needs an elite quarterback like he did at Stanford.

Your post has some merit. I just don’t think Jim is an elite coach. I do think he is good. He needs an elite quarterback like he did at Stanford.
Agree... also, he didn’t win a National Championship at Stanford with Luck either. 11 game is the high i believe they had with a decent bowl game. He needs a better offensive coordinator on his team and better receivers (at least one elite one)

Not sure if the college game has passed him by. I think he realizes he needs a more athletic qb, which he's recruited. I think he realizes with this o-line it doesn't matter what qb plays. Whomever plays, will be constantly under pressure. Thus, why take the risk. The center play is avg, RG avg, and RT play awful. That said, not sure the o-line play is going to be any better next year as we lose our best o-lineman. Additionally, other than Ruiz and Filiago we haven't seemed to be able to land any real studs the last couple of years, and from what we're seeing out of the o-line, very little confidence in Drevno to coach em up. Ruiz should be an improvement at center, and hopefully, Newsome returns at LT. However, is Newsome an improvement? The right side is still a mystery. I think what we're getting out of RG is what we'll get, and will Chuck F. be any better in his first season. Given the state of the o-line, not to mention WR play, the play calling is completely baffling. Why is it, that we never seem to run a quick slant when we need 4 to 5 yards for a first? I wonder if the hiring of Frey and Hamilton is a pre-cursor for the departure of Drevno? Harbaugh is a prideful coach no doubt, hopefully, he makes the right decisions with the offensive staff, and doesn't play stubborn like Carr with regard to cronyism. At a $1M per year, nothing wrong with the fan base expecting more out of the OC!

It seems to me that the OL is more likely to regress from 2017 to 2018 (at least initially) rather than improve significantly.

From what I've seen written about Newsome, it's more likely that he retires from football altogether than he wins a starting job in 2018. His injury was life-threatening and he nearly lost leg. That's tough to come back from, and it typically takes a LONG time if a player ever does.

Also, I'm not sure why you think that Ruiz will suddenly be an improvement over Kugler. Kugler is a RS Senior, Ruiz will be a RS Frosh playing in his first games. And Kugler was rated just about has high as Ruiz was coming out of high school. I would say that Kugler has arguably been Michigan's "2nd Best" OL after Cole in 2017.

To me, that means that both the LT and C positions are likely getting worse, and certainly are getting less experienced/consistent.

I think both OG spots will continue improving, and should even have the talent to be good......but neither one has shown anything but being "Okay" thus far. Either way, they don't seem to be the real problem, imo.

The final spot, RT, seems like a disaster to me. It seems pretty clear that any/all of the players currently playing that spot (Bushell-Beaty, Ulizio, etc.) are completely incapable of playing OT at this level.

Imo, that means that RT will either continue to suck or will be manned by a RS Frosh (Filigia)....or possibly both.

If both OT positions suck and the OC is being manned by an inexperienced/unproven RS Frosh....it's hard to see how that spells "improved OL"

It seems to me that the OL is more likely to regress from 2017 to 2018 (at least initially) rather than improve significantly.

From what I've seen written about Newsome, it's more likely that he retires from football altogether than he wins a starting job in 2018. His injury was life-threatening and he nearly lost leg. That's tough to come back from, and it typically takes a LONG time if a player ever does.

Also, I'm not sure why you think that Ruiz will suddenly be an improvement over Kugler. Kugler is a RS Senior, Ruiz will be a RS Frosh playing in his first games. And Kugler was rated just about has high as Ruiz was coming out of high school. I would say that Kugler has arguably been Michigan's "2nd Best" OL after Cole in 2017.

To me, that means that both the LT and C positions are likely getting worse, and certainly are getting less experienced/consistent.

I think both OG spots will continue improving, and should even have the talent to be good......but neither one has shown anything but being "Okay" thus far. Either way, they don't seem to be the real problem, imo.

The final spot, RT, seems like a disaster to me. It seems pretty clear that any/all of the players currently playing that spot (Bushell-Beaty, Ulizio, etc.) are completely incapable of playing OT at this level.

Imo, that means that RT will either continue to suck or will be manned by a RS Frosh (Filigia)....or possibly both.

If both OT positions suck and the OC is being manned by an inexperienced/unproven RS Frosh....it's hard to see how that spells "improved OL"

Effective offensive lines can be a strange thing. Watch alot of college football and it's amazing how certain times you can have a young OL & they perform beyond expectations. Then other seasons as the OL gets more experience you'd expect big things from them & they let down. I've seen this with Georgia OL's....FSU OL's.....N.D OL's......perform great when young & hit by injuries early in the year, but upon getting their veterans back & gaining experience the following season don't perform up to expectations. Florida State's OL this year is an example of big expectations on them & they've struggled.
Bottom line, I'm not gonna expect the M OL to fail next year with a couple starters moving on. I want to see them mesh & work as a unit. Get a feel for how each other works & know what to expect from their linemate.
But yeah Irish....the Michigan OL has to get its shit together. Can't play competitive football without blocking.

I’m a Husker fan. So I have no dog in this fight.

But bullshit.

You guys are definitely going in the right direction.

Agreed. Michigan is not my main affiliation (but I do loosely follow), but I do think Harbaugh has you going in the right direction. After all the guys that you lost last yr to the NFL, graduation, etc, I predicted you'd go 9-3......and if Speight would've stayed healthy or you would've went with Peters instead of O'Korn, you'd likely would've made 10 wins.

From what I can tell, the defense is legit.....just needs an offense that can score and wear opponents down. I think a significant QB and RB is lacking. I don't think that having someone of Andrew Luck caliber is a must (though, it's everyone's goal)......but certainly you need options.....Patterson will help tremendously. Also, they've done fairly well with the RB's they've had, but they certainly could do better.

Agreed. Michigan is not my main affiliation (but I do loosely follow), but I do think Harbaugh has you going in the right direction. After all the guys that you lost last yr to the NFL, graduation, etc, I predicted you'd go 9-3......and if Speight would've stayed healthy or you would've went with Peters instead of O'Korn, you'd likely would've made 10 wins.

From what I can tell, the defense is legit.....just needs an offense that can score and wear opponents down. I think a significant QB and RB is lacking. I don't think that having someone of Andrew Luck caliber is a must (though, it's everyone's goal)......but certainly you need options.....Patterson will help tremendously. Also, they've done fairly well with the RB's they've had, but they certainly could do better.

The real issue is the OL.

The talent at QB has been average to poor (depending on who we're talking about) and the talent at RB has been average at best.

But the OL has been a total disaster, especially at OT, and that's really been the driving issue on that side of the ball, imo.
(it's made every other issue so much worse, especially against real comp.)

Reactions: BlueRaider22
The real issue is the OL.

The talent at QB has been average to poor (depending on who we're talking about) and the talent at RB has been average at best.

But the OL has been a total disaster, especially at OT, and that's really been the driving issue on that side of the ball, imo.
(it's made every other issue so much worse, especially against real comp.)

I didn't mention that because, in general, linemen take much longer to develop than the perimeter players. Occasionally you get a guy like Gary who is ready to make an impact quickly, but the majority need yrs to develop. So, whatever linemen that Harbaugh has brought in they probably won't be expected to make a big impact (as in volume) for another yr......or 2.

However, the lack of QB/RB development/recruitment has stunted production a touch thus far. Harbaugh probably would've won another game last yr......and 1-2 more wins this yr.....had these positions been improved.

And it is his job to oversee the improvement. Hasn't happened at several key positions and hes had game management problems. In his defense, I will say this.

I blame him for the MSU loss. Should have been prepared for an 11 man rush. Fluky or not, should have been prepared for that.

If Darboh catches the 3rd down pass, right in his arms at Iowa, game over. Hard to blame Harbaugh for that outcome but the rest of the game and the inability in general to beat a bad Iowa team was inexcusable.

Being one inch away from beating OSU, likely beating Wisconsin again, and going to the playoffs in year two is rather impressive.

Can't say much about this year, not just the losses but the way we lost, the complete lack of development on the OL and backup QB was troubling.

You must have long arms to pat yourself on the back. Soon, you will need large feet.

Maybe we get lucky, and you retire from posting.

Harbaugh will win big because we are racking up talent.
Everyone will ignore the poor qb development we have had once our talented qbs play. See Patterson.
We are racking up more talent than ever before. We will win.

Harbaugh spends every breathing moment thinking about maximizing talent, not coming up with innovative game planning or development strategies.

And we will win big because of it.

In my lifetime I have seen many Michigan teams with incredible talent on offense, such as RBs, WR's and QB's, plus their ability to have one of the best OLs. From what I saw, your RB is not all that good, your QB may be average or a little better, and you have no WRs to speak of, and your OL look horrible. I'll give a break there because of injuries. What really looked bad was your offensive scheme. There is absolutely no imagination in it, and the Gamecocks could pretty much figure out what you were doing. Harbaugh should first fire your OC, then Harbaugh needs to do more sleepovers at RB and WR recruits houses.

Everyone will ignore the poor qb development we have had once our talented qbs play. See Patterson.

Harbaugh spends every breathing moment thinking about maximizing talent, not coming up with innovative game planning or development strategies.

Harbaugh has been good, but far from great, at "racking up talent". Just look at this recruiting class if you need more evidence of that.

Ohio State is extending the talent gap between itself and Michigan, while Michigan State is further closing the talent gap. That's not a good thing for Michigan.

Michigan's offense is actually "plenty imaginative" imo, almost gimmicky in certain areas/aspects.....but it requires high level play from the QB and OL positions, and so far it hasn't even come close to having that

The offensive issues will continue until Harbaugh recruits and develops actual talent at QB and OL
(Shea may help bandaid QB for 1-2 years....but OL is going to continue to be an unmitigated disaster imo)

I think the offense is gimmicky.... not imaginative. There are a lot of formations, shifts, alignments, packages but conceptually were doing the same things.. There aren't enough short routes (hitches, outs, slants, curls, drags)... There aren't enough passes to the RBs. Too many TEs on the field which is taking away opportunities for more explosive players to make plays.

Either the all the QBs are inept or we have far too many long developing pass plays/ route concepts...

I agree that until the QB/OL issues are fixed along with the play calling nothing is going to change.

Lol. When will Michigan win big? The rest of the big 10 is dying to know. Harbaugh in a small man

We are paying this guy $8m dollars a year for this garbage. The play calling on offense was laughable. Gamecocks knew what was coming. I have been a fan of BLUE since I was a senior in high school, I have never seen such a display of play calling from any team from AA like I saw yesterday. Brady and RichRod would of called a better game then what I seen. Keep Mattison and send everybody else packing even D. Brown for not making in game adjustments. And our safties play was horrible.

We are paying this guy $8m dollars a year for this garbage. The play calling on offense was laughable. Gamecocks knew what was coming. I have been a fan of BLUE since I was a senior in high school, I have never seen such a display of play calling from any team from AA like I saw yesterday. Brady and RichRod would of called a better game then what I seen. Keep Mattison and send everybody else packing even D. Brown for not making in game adjustments. And our safties play was horrible.

Send Brown packing? Lol okay.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT