ADVERTISEMENT

Great Read on Urban Meyer

Read this yesterday. It was very interesting. I question how different it is from many locker rooms & practice fields though. Not giving Urb a pass, as some of the stuff is over the top & would be program specific. But again, you tend to think that many of successful programs over the years have been run in a form of dictatorship & certain players do get a bit more entitlement than others.

It does make you wonder though to what degree he looked at it as a way of bailing out on a sinking ship & being able to start over.

typical hit piece with 0 new information in it.... kind of what's the point? Hasnt this been hashed and rehashed over the last 2+ years?

typical hit piece with 0 new information in it.... kind of what's the point? Hasnt this been hashed and rehashed over the last 2+ years?

Why does this upset you?

Urban Meyer did not have control of things during his reign at Florida. That's just a fact.

It doesn't necessarily mean he's not doing a better job at Ohio State.

I think if you read the article with an anti-Meyer/Ohio State bias, you'll pick out things and say it's an example of an out of control program. If you are a biased OSU can do no wrong perspective, then I'm sure there will be those who see it as a hack job.

If you read it unbiased, even as an OSU fan can see it as a decent review of the situation, although a bit sensationalized for effect. But basically here's what the article says:

- Myer was successful because he was driven, he recruited talent, was an offensive guru, and had talented assistant coaches.
- He tried to implement core values to the team, but not everyone listened.
- Eventually some of the players in his program while extremely talented weren't the most disciplined, ethical, and felt entitled. A common problem with the "Florida- as in State" culture. Which is why you see similar problems at Miami and FSU. Meyer didn't have these problems at Bowling Green, Utah, or Ohio State.
- He favored the team's stars. Most coaches do, and it was noted by a former Gator player that he doesn't seem do the same at Ohio State.
- Meyer admits, and even while still at Florida admitted to making mistakes.
- The stress that effected his physical,well being wasn't only the stress of trying to win, but the stress of dealing with the type of morality problems of some of the players while trying to win. Something that didn't bother coaches like Switzer at Oklahoma or Johnson at Miami. (That's not in the article, just my own addition)
- He gets blame from those who were unhappy that he left Florida.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT