ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread Thursday Oct 9 Wilfred Laurier U

Today's Daily Article indicated a handful of dinged up players would sit like Copp, Compher, Downing and Calderone.

Forwards out: Copp, Compher, Calderone. 11 forwards left.

Defense out: Downing, up to 9 others that may dress like Chiasson, Porikos

The Daily writers get to practice more often than I do. Take their word on this for sure.

Ahh, to be a college student again, eh Bob? Go to watch hockey practice in the middle of the afternoon whenever you want, etc.

Bob, will you be getting any updates on injuries this week? A lot of people scratched today that would normally be starting and two more went out with injuries during this game (I hope just for an abundance of caution). They seem to be collecting walking wounded on that team faster than anything right now.

Injury info is tough to come by. Most or all of the knocks are minor, with players held out mostly for precautionary reasons. Told most would have played if it hadn't been an exhibition game.

I'll be at practice early next week and let you know if anyone is held out.

I'm particularly curious about Werenski, who got injured and didn't return to the game, or the stands. Selman took a bad hit from behind and was in the stands for the third period with ice on his arm, so I suspect he'll be just fine. Werenski however...

Let us know if you find out anything Bob.

The injuries appear to be piling up:
Copp from the FSU game
Selman
Calderone (I think he is the only freshman not to see action yet)
Talcott had a shoulder but played against the USNDT
Werenski
Sinelli sat out and Downing sat out

At least they have a week to get some practice in, heal up and get back at it next weekend against UNH.

Early scouting on them: Their best player is a defenseman (Pesce). The Wildcats have suspended their starting goaltender for the first semester, so they are a bit green there- a freshman and a junior with little playing time.
The Cats lost some good talent up front but still have a few kids that can put the puck in the net. They really suffered a few key losses on defense.

Overall, they are picked to finish in the bottom half of the Hockey East, where the class of the league is suppose to be Providence, BC and from there- maybe- UML if they can get goaltending and up and coming BU.

Originally posted by Starkii:
I'm particularly curious about Werenski, who got injured and didn't return to the game, or the stands. Selman took a bad hit from behind and was in the stands for the third period with ice on his arm, so I suspect he'll be just fine. Werenski however...

Let us know if you find out anything Bob.
Werenski came up into the stands about midway through the third period (at least I assume it was him as he came from back by the locker room, was wearing a suit, and looked young, real young :)). Didn't look like he was hurting to bad so I'm guessing/hoping they just held him out of the rest of the game to make sure he didn't take any more serious injury before they get into the real games next week.

All of the guys spent at least two periods sitting a couple of rows behind me in the stands and as they made there way up there nobody looked like they were seriously banged up. No slings, no casts, no crutches, etc... I think Bob has it right that it's mostly bumps and bruises right now and with these games being exhibitions they could take them out and give them a little heal up time. Besides it also let them get a lot of the freshmen into both games to get some actual game time.

I know I'm sort of mixing threads here, but someone mentioned that Talcott was a little banged up, but played against the U18 team. He was also in the lineup last night and didn't seem hampered.

The usher between 26 and 27 thought she saw Sinelli with a really big bag of ice on his arm. But not a cast.

(We are in 26, and sit next to Copp's grandparents)

At least he should be skating this weekend, with hitting hopefully to follow soon.

Maybe it was Sinelli with the ice bag. I just assumed it was Selman because it was on the hand/wrist he seemed to be having an issue with when he came off the ice (I need numbers on these guys backs to know them) :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT