ADVERTISEMENT

Game thoughts

MHoops1

Heisman
Gold Member
Jul 16, 2001
1. This was the second game in a row that JB replaced MAAR with Kam when MAAR had to sit out--Zak primarily played at the 2 in the 3 wing lineup, though the others (particularly Kam) also played a little up top. Obviously, JB didn't feel our guys were ready to take on different roles until now. Equally obviously, had we done this when MAAR was auto benched in previous games, people would not have had the adverse reaction they did. Depth next year is going to help in so many ways. That's one.

2. I cannot get over how much Zak has improved his overall game recently. He creates for himself and others, rebounds far better, and sticks his nose in on defense against bigger 4s (though he has to keep them from catching the ball so low). If Caris comes back, he and Zak will be much more in sync than they were this year because of Zak's improved versatility and maturity.

3. I hope what Zak has done rubs off on Aubrey. Clearly, he had a fantastic day shooting the ball, and he's far and away the most athletic player we have, but the rest of his game, especially, his handle, off the ball defense and rebounding position need work. When you can score 31 points in a game, in the heels of a 21 point effort, you're a significant asset; if you round your game out, Aubrey, you can be a star and have a potential future in the NBA. By the way, recruiting rankings are often good, but there is no way in the world that Aubrey Dawkins isn't a top 50 player in his class, with the ability to trend much higher.

4. Good for Kam--he looked comfortable, and he was great. One thing he can do that no one else we have can do is to grab a rebound and quickly, accurately and effortlessly throw an outlet pass to get transition going. To me, he looked vastly more confident shooting the ball from out front than he does from the corner ( though he did make a corner 3 to end the first half). Maybe it is the background he sees. Something to think about.

5. I know that Rutgers is bad (and the body language and effort from their players was awful), but that was our best ball movement and passing all year. It was NOT, however, our best defensive effort--Rutgers got penetration off the bounce or via the pass easier than they should have. This lineup--one where our 5 is 6'6 1/2", our 4 is 6'6", our 1 is undersized and lacks great quickness, and our next 3 players are all freshmen, is not especially good defensively. It needs to be better than it was today though--we're not always going to shoot that well, or play a team which misses as many open shots as they did.

6. Max was great, and if it's his last home game (as looks likely), I was thrilled to see him play like that--great, tough kid who got every ounce out of his ability this year. To be clear though, Max has played well against teams without an offensive force at the 5 (like this one), and not very well against teams with great centers. Ricky (who was held out today because of illness) has not fared much better against those teams, but he's 3 inches taller, 3 years younger, and has a much longer wingspan. To be really good next year, Ricky has to be the guy at the 5, Max or no Max, and he has to become more consistent, decisive, and powerful. I think he'll get there, and if/when he does, the whole issue of whether Max returns will seem much less important. Simply put, IMO, as well as Max has played, we're not a Big Ten contender, nor one which can think about making an NCAA tournament run, if Max is any more than a bit player.

7. It will be interesting to see how JB reacts next year assuming there's no attrition. He's never played many guys, and he's ridden his starters, but he has never had such a ethogram of guys with lots of productive experience. Will he play more guys? Will he simply moor some guys to the bench? Time will tell.

8. Boy, is Spike good on the offensive end. Aside from Russell and Trimble, I can't think of a better offensive PG in the conference than Spike. Defensively, though, it's a real struggle for him. It's why, as well as he has played, I'd be surprised to see Spike start next season unless Derricj gets hurt again.

9. We've got a deal shot to beat Illinois, Thursday--we match up quite well. If we do though, Friday is the end of the line barring a miracle. JB can certainly be criticized for individual, in game decisions, but the improvemt in many of these players, and, for the most part, the level of play we have maintained since our 2 best players went down, has been remarkable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News