ADVERTISEMENT

Fix the 2nd-half woes,

buttaball

Michigan Man
Gold Member
Oct 2, 2001
Columbia, MD
and the team will be fine.

To some, the crazy narrative is that USC wasn't good, and that we won't be able to beat any other teams is ridiculous.

USC's clobbering of Wisconsin in a game eerily similar to last week's: USC was down 21-10 in the first and exploded in the second half for 28 unanswered points should be proof that we didn't beat up on an over-ranked team last week and actually held on vs good competition. I'm excited to see what USC does going forward- they could beat PSU with their kicking and scoring woes, and at home, I think they could beat ND.

By season's end, this could be looked at as as good a win as Texas was a loss.

Miller Moss struggled the most with Michigan's maligned (by some of you) defense, and had his lowest passer rating and completion % this season, and his opponents include LSU and Wisconsin.

I find it hard to believe that (with our key players like Will and Josiah back to healthy) we will see yesterday's defensive collapse late in the game, especially against the good handful of B1G QBs who aren't as good as Miller Moss, and whose supporting cast is nowhere near as talented as USC's.

The same folks who screamed about how many five stars USC and how good their QB was, rendering them unbeatable by a "one-dimensional offense had to then move their chips to "USC sucks" basically tucked tail and acted as if the win was an aberration.

The only impressive "also ran" team I've seen thus far (and not tested yet, mind you) is IU. They actually look like last season's 2nd tier leader, Maryland: Not close to the big time teams, but pretty darn good so far.

Illinois basically got bullied by a half-assed PSU team that doesn't have a FG kicker (0-2 from inside 45 yards) and Luke Altmeyer looked like "Luke Altmeyer facing his first real competition". Illinois not being able to run the ball, along with having issues with pressure up the middle is a good matchup for Michigan.

Washington got beat by Rutgers, despite their offense outgaining Rutgers by 222 yards...Starting to think that Rutgers (115 yards passing, 184 yards rushing) will be more of a stylistic challenge (as they play the same way). I can see wins in both of these.

Those blubbering over possible losses to Oregon and OSU, are basically parroting the vast majority's (including my own) pre-season expectations. OSU should beat Michigan this season- All of the chips, including experience across the board, is in their favor. My preseason predicted losses to OSU and Oregon because they have significant advantages.

I'd be willing to bet that those who are scared of MSU and Illinois haven't really watched them play, and are also being willfully (pun) ignorant about missing our top CB and pass rusher, and acting as if 5 sacks, and INT and a forced fumble is the ceiling for this D, when whole again (which should be as soon as next week).

Not to mention the very real idea that, of all program, shouldn't the one with the most new pieces take the longest to get running smoothly?

The idea that 5 games in, those thinking that this is what we are, are missing the little improvements made game-by-game by teams that are both young and haven't played football together for a long period of time.

This is the exact type of team with a higher ceiling as the team plays more. Are there things to fix? YES. Are they fixable? Well if the issues are based on inexpereince, of course, with experience things should get better. There were steps taken in the passing game, and the overreaction on the one INT is indicative of people stuck with a pre-judgement of one QB over the other.

I saw Orji throw Colston into the coverage- Bad throw, I agree...
I also saw Colston with both hands on the ball, and the ball get wrested away by the much smaller defender. Colston on a 50/50 ball vs Ethan Robinson - IMO, he should've had that catch.

Now, I'm just looking for the team to play an entire game, and change how they come out in the second halves of games.

I mean, if we look at the two first halves of the last two weeks, Michigan dominated. We outscored USC and Minnesota 34-6, had 8 first half sacks, and held both USC and Minnesota to negative first half rushing yards.

Whatever happens at the half has more to do with than just "not being able to pass"...Something happens with the D, the pass rush, the play calling...etc.

In fact. having a lead should put a running team in the best position to win.

Put together two halve like our first half, and Michigan will win more than many expect.

Of course those who picked Michigan to definitely lose to USC should have their expectations for the season already surpassed, vs the opposite.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.