ADVERTISEMENT

Does Walton get consideration for a jersey retirement? He is not the best point guard...

maelfan

All-League
Aug 7, 2014
we have had the last 30 years. Rose, Rumeal, Grant, etc. But his stats are eye popping. And being the only person to accomplish what he did is remarkable.

1000 (1300 points)
500 (524 rebounds)
400 (426 assists)

Was he healthy his soph. yr. he would be pusing 1500 points, 600 boards and 500 assists.

Let's no let our emotions get ahold of us. He is having a solid year and we are as grateful as his teammates and coaching staff. "74

no emotion. When you're the only player on UM history to accomplish something and I believe one of 8 in big ten history that's pretty big time.

Reactions: wolverines74
we have had the last 30 years. Rose, Rumeal, Grant, etc. But his stats are eye popping. And being the only person to accomplish what he did is remarkable.

1000 (1300 points)
500 (524 rebounds)
400 (426 assists)

Was he healthy his soph. yr. he would be pusing 1500 points, 600 boards and 500 assists.
Clearly having a great season and a very good career.
First tier in career numbers, 2nd tier in talent. What that means is ask what his numbers would be if he replaced Rose or Grant (or what would those guys' numbers be if they replaced Walton).
Walton would play Xavier time if he played with those guys.

His numbers reflect his importance to UM during his time, not necessarily his overall ranking.
If you put up great numbers on great teams, that's a special thing.

no emotion. When you're the only player on UM history to accomplish something and I believe one of 8 in big ten history that's pretty big time.
Last I read, DW is around 13th place. The B1G includes all the stats from Nebraska, Rutgers, Maryland too. A couple of Sparty's had over 2,000 points. DW would have a hard time making top ten for M guards. I appreciate what this kid did this year, he willed this team to win. Super proud of him for that.

I am by no means stating it's a slam dunk but if retired jerseys were solely based on some of what you guys say, Ricky green, Gary grant, rumeal Robinson, maybe a couple others would already be retired.

Waltons overall history compared to them is not super far off.

He was a freshman starting point guard on a dominant big ten champ team and a team that was seconds away from a consecutive final four.

A four year, graduating player with one of the most unique stat lines in UM history. Slam dunk? No way but I think there is some merit.

Those three stat lines are growing.
Just win baby...stat lines are for losers, well maybe for the Fighting Aggies (msu)...Walton is willing this team to the B1G tourney title, props big time for him, just win this one and maybe once the season ends, he gets the props he deserves.

1000 (1300 points)
500 (524 rebounds)
400 (426 assists)

Cassie Russell's number is the only retired number and I don't expect that to change. The other numbers are just hung in honor. I wish the athletic department would resume honoring past players found deserving and bring that program up to the present.

1000 (1300 points)
500 (524 rebounds)
400 (426 assists)

Bud...they ought to retire all these guy's jerseys. Damn, this feels so good. I'd sure like to share a drink w/ you right now. It feels that good...Great to be a Michigan Wolverine. The kids stepped up, none more than Walton. Man, that was so super.

10 should be hanging.
Well, if they win the NCAA title....I'll grant you that, lol. He had a phenomenal run...you've got to look at his whole body of work. Injuries and inconsistencies have to figure in there somewhere. You fail to recognize some of the other kids that played at a high level in the U-M uniform but that's ok, healthy discussion is good and we all have an opinion. That's what makes sports fun too. A great day today, we'll all agree with that.

Cassie Russell's number is the only retired number and I don't expect that to change. The other numbers are just hung in honor. I wish the athletic department would resume honoring past players found deserving and bring that program up to the present.

Actually Cazzie #33, Rudy T #45, Phil Hubbsrd #35, Glen Rice #41 and the late Bill Buntin #22 are all retired. I don't think that maelfan's opinion of putting Walton's jersey in the rafters is something that will happen anytime soon.

Well, if they win the NCAA title....I'll grant you that, lol. He had a phenomenal run...you've got to look at his whole body of work. Injuries and inconsistencies have to figure in there somewhere. You fail to recognize some of the other kids that played at a high level in the U-M uniform but that's ok, healthy discussion is good and we all have an opinion. That's what makes sports fun too. A great day today, we'll all agree with that.

I'm very aware of other great players and have often mentioned others who deserve the jersey retirement. Been going to games since I was a tot in the 70s.

There is likely some criteria regarding graduation and other things. But even forgetting that, like if Gary Grant didn't graduate. We know Rumeal didn't. I'm not so sure that his entire body of work is not comparable to some of the greats. I can name 5-8 other guys whose jerseys should be retired or "honored".

I just think his overall stats. Being the starting point guard on a BTC team, an elite 8 team, and a BTT team is pretty close to being equal to many other great point guards besides the season Rumeal had his junior year.

Actually Cazzie #33, Rudy T #45, Phil Hubbsrd #35, Glen Rice #41 and the late Bill Buntin #22 are all retired. I don't think that maelfan's opinion of putting Walton's jersey in the rafters is something that will happen anytime soon.

Are you sure? Certainly Bill Buntin's #22 is not retired otherwise Duncan Roberson could not be wearing it. I stand by my original assertion.

Are you sure? Certainly Bill Buntin's #22 is not retired otherwise Duncan Roberson could not be wearing it. I stand by my original assertion.

Continuing this thought. Go to mgoblue.com and the basketball page. Way at the bottom is a list of reference items. Click on traditions and it brings up a pamphlet of BB history. On page 20 is an article on Cassie Russell's retired number. The following 4 pages discusses the players who have had their numbers honored.

Are you sure? Certainly Bill Buntin's #22 is not retired otherwise Duncan Rob
Continuing this thought. Go to mgoblue.com and the basketball page. Way at the bottom is a list of reference items. Click on traditions and it brings up a pamphlet of BB history. On page 20 is an article on Cassie Russell's retired number. The following 4 pages discusses the players who have had their numbers honored.

I remembered Rudy T, Rice and and Hubbard's jersey retirements, the announcements by the school and the fact they were honored during half-time of those particular games. I knew of Buntin's but I wasn't sure when it was, I knew he passed away early after his time at U-M. I grew up on Cazzie, Ollie and Big Bill, I went to my first football game in 1964 vs. Minnesota and the little Brown Jug. That started me on my on-going love affair with the greatest University in the World.

Remember this University took the retired football jersey's and brought them back to life...#98 Tom Harmon, #48 Pres. Ford, Wistert Bros. #11, #47 Benny O and #87 Ron Kramer...thought it was a hideous at the time and still do. AC's #1 and CW's #2 ought to be next!

I remembered Rudy T, Rice and and Hubbard's jersey retirements, the announcements by the school and the fact they were honored during half-time of those particular games. I knew of Buntin's but I wasn't sure when it was, I knew he passed away early after his time at U-M. I grew up on Cazzie, Ollie and Big Bill, I went to my first football game in 1964 vs. Minnesota and the little Brown Jug. That started me on my on-going love affair with the greatest University in the World.

I was present when every one of the Honored Jerseys were hoisted to the rafters. Cassie's is the ONLY number to be retired. This website will take you to the pamphlet that discusses the five jerseys hanging in Crisler: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...-17/misc_non_event/bkm-records-traditions.pdf
Go to page 20 and start reading and the truth of the matter will be revealed.

I was present when every one of the Honored Jerseys were hoisted to the rafters. Cassie's is the ONLY number to be retired. This website will take you to the pamphlet that discusses the five jerseys hanging in Crisler: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...-17/misc_non_event/bkm-records-traditions.pdf
Go to page 20 and start reading and the truth of the matter will be revealed.

Michigan Honored Jersey’s Cazzie Russell, #33 retired, Dec. 11, 1993 Rudy Tomjanovich, #45 honored, Feb. 8, 2003 Phil Hubbard, #35 honored, Jan. 11, 2004 Glen Rice, #41 honored, Feb. 20, 2005 Bill Buntin, #22 honored, Jan. 7, 2006

I stand corrected Sir, on page 6 of the traditions I read the players/dates but in my haste I didn't see the Retired/Honored caption, either on page 6 and 20. I guess re: the OP's question re: Walton's possible jersey being retired, I strongly disagree. I do question our debate still despite the way the article was captioned. Aren't all those jersey's hanging in Crisler? I "assumed" with the jersey/ceremony that it was a given that these great players from the past had their jerseys retired. They were great players and I feel honored to follow their careers. Thanks for the info/input. GO BLUE! Beat the Cowboys!

Reactions: SaltyWolverine
Walton is making a strong case in my book through the victory over OSU today. He's carrying the team on his back.
Yeah, he's playing at another level and it's truly fantastic to watch. Maelfan may convince me with a win over L'ville, I may hang the damn banner myself. Great numbers and more importantly, great leadership.

Last edited:
The retired vs. honored discussion is irrelevant. I'm fine if Cazzie's is the only one technically retired. Win or lose Sunday, Walton's numbers and overall accomplishments as a four year starting point guard are approaching rare air.

Regarding the game Sunday, I actually believe we are a better team than Louisville and will win. Their talented and big defense will be tough but we may be equivalent to a top ten team since our OSU loss. So why not us? If team's were seeded since February 5th there is no doubt we are a three seed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT