ADVERTISEMENT

Did anyone watch "Of Miracles and Men" last night?

BigHouse_00

Heisman
May 29, 2001
It was a documentary about the history of hockey in the Soviet Union and their reaction to losing the "Miracle on Ice" game. It was great.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Yep, that was very very good, I really enjoyed it

Anatoli Tasarov is truly one of the all-time greats in hockey history ---- what he did to build the Russian Hockey Team, literally[/I] starting from scratch ---- is a story worth telling and I'm glad the documentary gave that perspective.

Also great seeing the footage from the 1972 Summit Series and the various Canada Cups. It's insane --- basically THE SAME TEAM that lost to the Americans in the 1980 Olympics just destroyed Canada (eight to one!!!) in the 1981 Canada Cup final, That Soviet National team was so so so good.

I knew the whole story of Slava Fetisov and what a battle it was for him to play in the NHL. I loved that his story got a wider audience last night. Fetisov is a very courageous individual. I loved his line at the end (I'm paraphrasing): "Lake Placid was a miracle on ice for the Americans. But the Stanley Cup coming to Red Square (as happened in summer 1997), that was a miracle as well."

Though the Al Michaels/ABC broadcast footage was used sporadically, I also thoroughly enjoyed that the documentary primarily used the Soviet broadcast footage. Much different broadcast! It was never "the United States of America" that was winning, it was always "the host team." When the Soviets got behind, they didn't need a goal "to tie the game" (as things played out, the USSR wins the gold and the USA the silver if that game ended in a 4-4 tie), they needed a goal to "correct the situation." Also, the broadcast signed off within 5 seconds of the game ending!
This post was edited on 2/9 8:26 AM by michnittlion

I knew some of the history, but not all of it....

It was one of the better sports documentaries I've ever seen. Glad I watched that over the Grammys:).

Re: I knew some of the history, but not all of it....

I missed it! Totally forgot it was going to be on. My wife and I watched walking dead, better call saul, talking dead and then my wife insisted on watching the grammys since we recorded it. AC/DC played tho, so it wasn't a total lose.

I remember the miracle on ice and how it effected everyone on this country. I knew the Soviet team was considered the best in the world, but Since I'm not a huge hockey fan I knew, but not really knew how much better they were.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT