ADVERTISEMENT

Covid- the puzzle

shaman43

Senior
Gold Member
Jan 15, 2008
Noted the other thread on COVID and wanted to respond in another. It matters when the disease hits close. Three days after Christmas my mother-in-law died. It was a lonely and harsh death. From the time she tested positive till she died was four weeks. She had many painful symptoms but even with not eating or drinking after being taken off IVs lived on painfully for a week. My best friend, who played football at Michigan and is Afro-American had 3 family members pass and had COVID himself. Has a couple of symptoms now that have lasted 3 months. It is harsh seeing those who are loved gong through it.

My sons are in bubbles with their families, one in Colorado the others here in Michigan. They have positions, as do their spouses, that allow the families the freedom not to need to expose themselves outside the family unit. Since my wife works in a medical field and does see patients we are more typical in our exposure. She gets her second shot Saturday. I am waiting to be scheduled.

This is a nefarious disease. I get updates every couple of days about new research showing how it attacks the nervous system and it's concomitant problems. Every once in a while I see something I take to heart about what to do to perhaps help the immune system combat the possible infection. Recently, one I have taken to heart is brain derived neurotropic factor.(BDNF). Without getting into technicalities, BDFN is a nervous system protein with a well documented effect on neuronal plasticity. The latter word is the key. It's possible helpfulness in such things as Parkinson's is being studied. And the way the virus works on the brain I believe leads to a logical hypothesis that it can be helpful in combating Covid's effects on the brain.

To get increased production of BDFN an available method available to all is intense workouts particularly lifting and speed work. For me, at my age, this means weights for curls and pull ups and kettle bells(15 to 55 pounds) three times a week and using smash balls (8,15,20 pounds) twice a week. I also do sets wind sprints of 50 yards 3 times per week. Everything can be done at home and is of sufficient intensity to supposedly have the effect of increased BDFN.

If I am wrong, so be it, but it gives me a goal that I can achieve that may have a positive effect. Helpful to mood because it is something I can do that is active not passive. Stay safe as possible and positive in mind and spirit. Keep our community here in tact and energized for the maize and blue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.