ADVERTISEMENT

Boneheaded move by Urban Meyer

I watched most of the game after OSU was up 12-0 and I will congratulate PSU but it sure looked like OSU lost it rather than won it. Emotionally spent?

If they played that game next week I think OSU wins by 17 pts but that is why they play the game. Not as bad of a performance as the MSU game last year but definitely didn't bring their 'A' game.

RM

Why do you try for a very long field goal instead of punting? Sure has put his team's back against the all.

I honestly thought Urban Meyer would go for it. You really can't PUNT from the opposition 28. Even Kirk Ferentz wouldn't do that!

It was 4th-and-7: run some sort of read play, and if you don't convert, trust your defense to prevent PSU from going 75 yards for a touchdown.

I honestly thought Urban Meyer would go for it. You really can't PUNT from the opposition 28. Even Kirk Ferentz wouldn't do that!

It was 4th-and-7: run some sort of read play, and if you don't convert, trust your defense to prevent PSU from going 75 yards for a touchdown.
I bet you're pretty stoked about this win, eh?

I bet you're pretty stoked about this win, eh?

Unfortunately, I have been barfing all day, real real bad cold that's kept me on the couch --- that's also why I'm on a message board less than an hour after my alma mater just beat the #2 ranked team. :). But this win makes me feel better.

Also nice since I live in the Cincinnati Metro.

Odds are looking better for my ideal Bowl trip this fall (Holiday Bowl: San Diego).

Even weirder was that he saved his timeouts, forcing his FG unit to rush onto the field. They may not have been all lined up properly. He should have called a TO to settle everyone down.

Even weirder was that he saved his timeouts, forcing his FG unit to rush onto the field. They may not have been all lined up properly. He should have called a TO to settle everyone down.

True - probably should have called TO. OSU had burned one earlier, so they "only" had 2 left, maybe that factored into the decision.

If you recall - the play before OSU was also quite sloppy. 3rd-and-7 and the sideline was shouting in the play to Barrett with the play clock at :05. They didn't take a TO there either and Barrett threw a loopy pass over the middle that nearly got picked off. That set up the fateful 4th down.

Curtis Samuel is OSU's most explosive RB. He ran the ball twice tonight. Incredibly, he had no runs at all after his 74-yard TD run (which happened with 25 minutes left in the game)!!!!!

Noah Brown is their best WR, and he's becoming less and less a part of their offense too.

PSU deserved the win, IMO, but Urban Meyer was making some decisions that you normally don't see from him.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I have been barfing all day, real real bad cold that's kept me on the couch --- that's also why I'm on a message board less than an hour after my alma mater just beat the #2 ranked team. :). But this win makes me feel better.

Also nice since I live in the Cincinnati Metro.

Odds are looking better for my ideal Bowl trip this fall (Holiday Bowl: San Diego).
Been down as well this past week. Congrats on the win. You have to kick the fg...stuff happens. You can't play Llloyd/Kirk ball. That is pathetic.

I did think PSU won it but OSU clearly brought their 'C' game. Let's be honest here. OSU had a week on the road at night in Wisconsin and then had to fly back and then travel again to PA and get into Happy Valley against a team that was rested. The schedule makers set up OSU.

That is why they play the game.

Been down as well this past week. Congrats on the win. You have to kick the fg...stuff happens. You can't play Llloyd/Kirk ball. That is pathetic.

I did think PSU won it but OSU clearly brought their 'C' game. Let's be honest here. OSU had a week on the road at night in Wisconsin and then had to fly back and then travel again to PA and get into Happy Valley against a team that was rested. The schedule makers set up OSU.

There are a few Buckeye fans blaming the schedule, PSU having a bye while OSU was coming off the Wisconsin game.

The funny thing is: when the B1G released the 2016 conference schedule, back in 2013 --- PSU & Michigan were scheduled to play last Saturday.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools.../2013-14/misc_non_event/2016B1GFBSchedule.pdf

Our two schools "conspired" back last year to move that game up to our mutual bye week in late September. We tag-teamed to screw OSU!

BTW --- Penn State has a bye week before Michigan in 2017. That's because we tag-teamed with Iowa to move up our 2017 game! So, if this issue comes up in 52 weeks, U-M folk can get mad at us (and Iowa) at that time!

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools.../2013-14/misc_non_event/2017B1GFBSchedule.pdf

This was one of the worst officiated games I have ever seen. OSU got away with a lot of false starts that for some reason were not called. PSU should have been flagged on that blocked kick - you can't jump off the line of scrimmage. MSU did the same thing to IU this year and IU missed the kick but the call gave them a chance to send the game to OT. Also, it was clearly pass interference on the last play. Inconsistent. OSU got away with tons of holds last week and should have lost to Wisconsin - both of their TD runs in regulation were blatant holds but not called.

Either way, great win for PSU. One thing I noticed about our 7 games we have played this year - Rutgers and Colorado were the only 2 teams that pretty much just flat out quit by the 4th quarter - Hawaii never really showed up. PSU, IL, UCF, & Wisconsin all played hard until the last play and that is a sign of good coaching. Not saying Franklin is a great coach but considering what that program has gone through, the players play hard and don't quit - good for them.

This was one of the worst officiated games I have ever seen. OSU got away with a lot of false starts that for some reason were not called. PSU should have been flagged on that blocked kick - you can't jump off the line of scrimmage. MSU did the same thing to IU this year and IU missed the kick but the call gave them a chance to send the game to OT. Also, it was clearly pass interference on the last play. Inconsistent. OSU got away with tons of holds last week and should have lost to Wisconsin - both of their TD runs in regulation were blatant holds but not called.

Either way, great win for PSU. One thing I noticed about our 7 games we have played this year - Rutgers and Colorado were the only 2 teams that pretty much just flat out quit by the 4th quarter - Hawaii never really showed up. PSU, IL, UCF, & Wisconsin all played hard until the last play and that is a sign of good coaching. Not saying Franklin is a great coach but considering what that program has gone through, the players play hard and don't quit - good for them.

I'll disagree that PSU should have been flagged on the blocked kick.

There are 2 ways to get called for "leaping." The MSU player got nailed for reason #1 --- he "vaulted." Gained leverage by running up, placing a hand on a teammate, then vaulting himself up. That will get called more often than not. PSU had a leaping penalty of this sort in a game vs. OSU in 2014, FWIW. Obvious call then too.

The PSU defender definitely didn't "vault." The second way to get called for leaping --- if you run up and jump un-vaulted, but then land on a whole bunch of players. The PSU defender tonight got a bit lucky in that regard: he didn't land on any players.

Anyway, all the wording on the leaping penalty is on page 91 of the NCAA rule book.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/FR17.pdf

FWIW, I'll look out for this on the replay, but I think PSU did commit a leaping penalty on OSU's first field goal. Wasn't called there, though.

I think your point that OSU showed it's age is probably more relevant than the schedule. If I had to name 'one' excuse I would say OSU was emotionally drained from last week. That was one hell of a game.

I think these teams could play another 5 times and at PSU and OSU would win by an average score of 35-13.

I still can't explain how PSU won but the scoreboard confirms it. On that last block it looked like PSU just blew up the play...like they knew the snap count. Blew them off the ball. Well done.

One favor from you MNL. Can you inquire about that favorable call for PSU on the pass and find out if their is a conspiracy for UM and against OSU? :)

RM

if they were truly a top 4 team the schedule should not affect them. Im not saying they are bad just that they arent that great.

I want to here the so called experts tell me UM isnt on the same level as tOSU yet after this. We destroyed PSU

I think your point that OSU showed it's age is probably more relevant than the schedule. If I had to name 'one' excuse I would say OSU was emotionally drained from last week. That was one hell of a game.

RM
My ass is emotionally drained. OSU should have won that game - no excuses. If they can walk into Norman and shit kick OU, then they sure as hell should have housed PSU.

OSU just isn't as good as people thought.. Stop looking at the name on the jersey & look at the game film...
Good point. If we didn't know who was playing, what would most folks think of them? I think they are a very talented and tough team, and I'm still going to be a wreck leading up to The Game but they aren't the world beaters everyone thought after the Ok game.

My ass is emotionally drained. OSU should have won that game - no excuses. If they can walk into Norman and shit kick OU, then they sure as hell should have housed PSU.

Good point. If we didn't know who was playing, what would most folks think of them? I think they are a very talented and tough team, and I'm still going to be a wreck leading up to The Game but they aren't the world beaters everyone thought after the Ok game.

PSU plays D... Oklahoma doesn't... and yeah.. if we stop looking at the fact that it's OSU & look at the game film and stats we'll see the true story. Very good OSU team just not as good as people thought.

Last edited:
Not as good as Michigan. I respectfully will be nervous about the Nov26 game...but far from being afraid. They have talent, speed, blah blah blah...but they don't pass the eye test when compared to Michigan...we will be in the playoffs, and they will not ...its that simple unless you are blind or believe in magic. I'm not saying it is a given we will win, but we will be favored in their house before it's all over and it will have to be an upset for them to win.

Still a 45 yarder seems like a stretch on the road, agreed go for it and lean on your D

PSU plays D... Oklahoma doesn't... and yeah.. if we stop looking at the fact that it's OS & look at the game film and stats we'll see the true story. Very good OSU team just not as good as people thought.
Thanks for mentioning this ....do they play defense in the Big 12? They must have Bill Walsh cloned on every staff to explain every team getting torched.

RM

I watched most of the game after OSU was up 12-0 and I will congratulate PSU but it sure looked like OSU lost it rather than won it. Emotionally spent?

If they played that game next week I think OSU wins by 17 pts but that is why they play the game. Not as bad of a performance as the MSU game last year but definitely didn't bring their 'A' game.

RM
Frankly, PSU simply played harder than they did. OSU didn't lose it. PSU made plays and won it. And in crunch time it was all PSU. To wit, OSU didn't score the last 23 minutes of the game and had 106 yards in 36 plays. One of those plays was a 34 yard pass completion. So that would be 72 yards on the other 35 plays. You can do the math. They got beat and that's that.

I'll disagree that PSU should have been flagged on the blocked kick.

There are 2 ways to get called for "leaping." The MSU player got nailed for reason #1 --- he "vaulted." Gained leverage by running up, placing a hand on a teammate, then vaulting himself up. That will get called more often than not. PSU had a leaping penalty of this sort in a game vs. OSU in 2014, FWIW. Obvious call then too.

The PSU defender definitely didn't "vault." The second way to get called for leaping --- if you run up and jump un-vaulted, but then land on a whole bunch of players. The PSU defender tonight got a bit lucky in that regard: he didn't land on any players.

Anyway, all the wording on the leaping penalty is on page 91 of the NCAA rule book.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/FR17.pdf

FWIW, I'll look out for this on the replay, but I think PSU did commit a leaping penalty on OSU's first field goal. Wasn't called there, though.
Why is it, every game that the pathetic state u play, officating becomes the top topic? Gets old.

The best news that came out of this psu win....it buys their very average coach some more time.

Reactions: detroitjohn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT