ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Blue Chips: Recruiting Related Thoughts On Linguist Hire

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
Help me welcome a new partner of TheWolverine.com, Adam Goldman, owner of FranchiseCoach.net:

Adam’s love of Michigan began when he chose the Fab Five to win the NCAA title in his dad's March Madness pool. Everyone thought he was crazy, but the Wolverines ended up going to the championship game and Adam won the pool.

In 2010, Adam engaged a franchise coach to explore a few options out of the 4,000 brands in 75 industries. He chose an office cleaning concept which he was able to build to 400 buildings cleaned in the Houston area and 40 franchisees. Adam recently sold the business to a strategic buyer.

For the past four years, Adam has helped prospective franchisees navigate the complex world of franchising. His FREE SERVICE helps them narrow their focus down to the three brands that best match them. His process saves his clients a lot of time by allowing them to focus their search on brands that they otherwise wouldn’t consider but match them the best.

"My Dad came home from his corporate job drained daily and he would have really benefited as a franchisee,” Adam said. "He has great management and people skills, he just needed a simplified process around him to become an entrepreneur. I get excited every day helping prospective business owners escape Corporate America and to follow their dreams by becoming franchisees.”

Contact Adam today to make your dreams a reality.

Here are tonight's Blue Chips...

*** The hiring of Maurice Linguist is huge from a recruiting standpoint. Look, I'm not going to claim that I know much about him as a coach because I really don't. But as a pure recruiter, he's terrific. He made my job on the Texas beat a lot harder, especially during the 2019 cycle. Texas A&M handed Texas a ton of pivotal head-to-head losses seven when Texas appeared to have an edge, and Linguist is a big reason why. That cycle, he signed three Top 100 defensive backs and also helped land Top 100 wide receiver Dylan Wright, who was actually a Michigan target. Linguist is a relationship builder. That's the best way to describe as he connects with not only kids but also high school coaches, 7v7 coaches, mentors and parents.

*** Which brings me to my next point. This is an A-plus recruiting hire for Michigan but one that was completely out of the norm for the Wolverines. Michigan is as straight as can be as far as how the Wolverines approach recruiting. Michigan barely deals with 7v7 coaches and mentors. In fact, I have a list of literally like 100 contacts worth of key recruiting figures nationally, and my information well with them is pretty dry because Michigan will not engage. Even guys in this class like Junior Colson and Cristian Dixon had guys like that in their lives, and Michigan basically ignored them – kudos to Michigan for still landing both,, I suppose.

*** Linguist made his bank off developing relationships with everyone. Look at my feature story on Linguist from earlier today. It took me all of 25 minutes to talk to six influential recruiting figureheads in Texas about Linguist. They want to help him out. They want to get him positive pub. They absolutely love him. It will be interesting to see if Michigan lets Linguist be himself (as a fellow Texas native, I'm all for it) and doesn't handicap him. I'm not saying I would like to see Michigan fully play in the mud like southern schools, but there is a happy medium on how to deal with everyone involved in recruiting. I think Michigan can have even more success on the trail if they break out of their shell a little bit, and it starts with Linguist.

*** Recruiting in the south got a whole lot easier. Of course, my hometown of Dallas, Texas, could turn into a nice spot for Michigan to pluck some top talent. Linguist is from there and has so many ties. Couple that with Brian Jean-Mary and his ties, and you have quite the dynamic duo in one of the most talent rich areas in the entire country. Linguist can also recruit Houston and Austin/San Antonio well and has had success in Georgia. I'm not saying Michigan is going to land a boatload of southerners, but I do think they can steal guys from the Lone Star State and more with Linguist and BJM. They understand how the south, specifically Texas, functions.

*** So does the Linguist hire help with five-star 2022 corners Domani Jackson and Will Johnson? It's tough to say. I think Domani already knows where he wants to go, and it will be tough for Michigan to change that. I think Will is much more open. Linguist, again, is definitely a great recruiter and knows how to win huge battles for elite defensive backs. Along with the aforementioned trio in 2019, Linguist also reeled in five-star cornerback Jaylon Jones in 2020. He's more than capable of keeping Will home, but he'll have to develop a relationship quickly since Will is looking to decide early.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.