ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Blue Chips: Josh Helmholdt On In-State Recruiting, 2022 Michigan Commits

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
Are you a displaced corporate executive or wanting to put your career in your own hands? Or are you an experienced entrepreneur looking to diversify? Adam Goldman can help! Adam is a Michigan fan, TheWolverine.com member and franchise veteran, having owned a franchise which he recently sold to a strategic buyer. Using his expertise, he helps others find their American Dream through a very thorough and FREE consultation process. Call Adam at 844-800-FRAN and put your life and career in your own hands.
Adam Goldman, Owner
FranchiseCoach.net
Call: 844-800-FRAN
Email: agoldman@franchisecoach.net
DM: @GoBlueTX

Here are tonight's Blue Chips.

I caught up with Rivals Midwest Analyst Josh Helmholdt to get his thoughts on Michigan's in-state recruiting efforts and more.

On his overall thoughts on Michigan's presence in its own backyard:

"I can tell you that from talking with coaches and important movers and shakers within the state, they do not feel that the talent is respected by Michigan as much as it was used to say back in the Lloyd Carr era, where many of these coaches originate from. But also, it's what they are seeing in the intensity of recruiting from the out-of-state schools. What I hear a lot is Michigan and Michigan State spoken in the same breath — when Mark Dantonio was (at MSU) — in terms of the in-state schools not having the respect for the in-state talent like many feel they should."

On what Michigan can do to improve perception:

"The most of-repeated solution that I hear from coaches and others in the state — I saw Curtis Blackwell discuss it with you — is having someone from the Detroit-area on staff or someone that has Detroit connections. Chris Singletary was the guy back in the day that everyone felt connected to. Now, they don't have that kind of connection. Tim Banks would have been a huge move for Michigan. That's the No. 1 thing — just having someone that is from the area, knows the area and has connections to the area. People want to go somewhere where people understand them. That's an area that's been focused on by many people."

On his thoughts on Alex VanSumeren:

"When I first saw Alex, he was just piss and vinegar. He was just a freshman and fought like he was a freshman going against seniors every time he stepped on the field. His brother was a freaky athlete. You didn't see that with Alex. He was just more driven. As he's gotten older, he's put the work into his game. He's filling out his frame. He looks like what you want out of a defensive tackle prospect. But he's also increased his quickness, his lateral agility and just his all around athleticism has improved as he's gotten older. That to go along with a motor that doesn't stop is valuable at a position that's very difficult to recruit, especially in the Midwest."

On his thoughts on Davonte Miles:

"Miles is more of a risk reward type than VanSumeren. With VanSumeren, he may not have a super high ceiling, but he has a really high floor. You know what you're going to get out of VanSumeren. With Miles, if you can polish off the edges, there is some ability there. It's just going to take a while to get it out of him. His ceiling and floor are much further apart. He could be a boom or he could be a bust. It's just too early to say which way that's ultimately going to go."

On the overall in-state talent level in 2022 compared to 2021:

"Early on, 2021 looked like it was going to be a better overall class than 2022. When you look at top end, it's pretty similar with guys like Will Johnson, Myles Rowser, Joshua Burnham and Alex VanSumeren. The top end of 2021 is pretty similar. I just don't know if there is the depth of talent in that 5-20 range. If I look back at the 18-19 classes I've covered in the state of Michigan, it will definitely be in the top half of overall classes."

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.