ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Blue Chips: Deon Johnson Talks Michigan, Offseason Work With Will

EJ Holland

Recruiting Monkey
Apr 25, 2019
Chicago
I recently caught up with ex-Wolverine Deon Johnson, father of five-star Michigan cornerback commit Will Johnson, to get his thoughts on their summer visits and more.

On his offseason training with Will:

"We're just trying to work on a lot of the technique stuff. I just try to get him and some of his teammates out here 3-4 times a week. We've been doing some work in the sand. I'm just trying to get him quicker and faster coming out of his breaks. Just some things like that."

On what Will can keep improving on:

"There is a lot he can work on. He's going to speed training three times a week. He's lifting with his team four times a week with his team. We get out here three days a week and do DB drills. He's working on his man-to-man stuff and off coverage. He doesn't play a lot of zone at his school, so we've worked on his backpedal and getting out of his breaks."

On their summer visits to Michigan:

"They did a good job of letting (Will) know that he's a priority even though he's committed. I think they did a good job of relationship building. It wasn't just the position coaches. It was some of the other coaches and staff members. They got to know him, and he got to know them. I think he's more comfortable with his decision. I'm more comfortable after getting to know the staff and hanging out with them a couple of weekends. I got to spend some time with them outside of being with the kids. Seeing how they communicate with each other, it seems like they like each other. That bleeds over to the kids. I think the kids are catching that vibe as well."

On if he's recruiting other parents to Michigan:

"I talk to Keith Jones (father of Kody Jones) a lot. I've talked to Greg Pollard (father of Myles Pollard) a few times. I've reached out to Josh Conerly's dad. We've communicated via text. They are planning to be at the BBQ, so I'll get a chance to meet him face-to-face. I talked a lot to Walter Nolen's dad on the visit. I haven't spoken to them since, but we did exchange numbers. I don't really have a message for other parents. But I do try to give them honest answers from a player's perspective and a parent's perspective. I try to be upfront and honest."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.