ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten wrestling championships started today and the semi-finals are set...

nickespitia

Michigan Man
Oct 24, 2005
I've listed the match ups and a few thoughts below but the key take aways are that Michigan advanced 8 to the semi-finals and have all 10 still alive in the tournament. They're in a good spot but are going to have to pull of some upsets to finish in the top 2. They should land in the top 3 though.

• #1 Nick Suriano (U of M) vs. Devin Schroder (Purdue)
      • This is the first time Suriano has wrestled Schroder this year but he will be the favorite
    • #3 Eric Barnett (Wisconsin) vs. #7 Michael DeAugstino (NU)
    • #1 Roman Bravo-Young vs. #5 Dylan Ragusin (U of M)
      • Tough draw for Ragusin. RBY is the returning national champ and beat him 8-1 in the dual. Most folks expect to see a RBY vs. DeSanto rematch in the championship.
    • #2 Austin Desanto (Iowa) vs. #3 Lucas Byrd (Ill)
    • #1 Nick Lee (PSU) vs. #5 Jakob Bergeland (Minn)
    • #2 Jaydin Eierman (Iowa) vs. #3 Sebastian Rivera
      • With Micic already in the consolation the hope is Rivera can pull off the upsets (and he's certainly capable) to cost PSU and Iowa some team points.
    • #1 Sammy Sasso (OSU) vs. #4 Max Murin (Iowa)
    • #2 Austin Gomez (Wis) vs. #3 Ridge Lovett (NEB)
      • Hopefully the seeds hold up here.
    • #1 Ryan Deakin (NU) vs. #5 Peyton Robb (Neb)
    • #3 Will Lewan (U of M) vs. #10 Brady Berge (PSU)
      • This is interesting, Berge cut down from 165 so he was given a 10 seed (he hasn't wrestled many 157 guys so far) but he was able to upset Kaleb Young (the 2 seed) in the quarters. He also beat Cam Amine 3-1 during the U of M vs. PSU dual. I don't think he's faced Lewan before but this should be a battle. Berge isn't your typical 10 seed but it would be huge if Lewan could get the win here.
    • #1 Carson Kharchla (OSU) vs. #4 Cam Amine (U of M)
      • This is a match that I think Cam can win and would be another opportunity for Michigan to steal some tournament points.
    • #2 Alex Marinelli (Iowa) vs. #3 Dean Hamiti (Wis)
    • #1 Carter Starocci (PSU) vs. #4 Michael Kemerer (Iowa)
    • #2 Logan Massa ( U of M)vs. #3 Mikey Labriola (NEB)
      • Massa needs to win here and should be able to do so. He won a close 4-1 match in the dual and he looks to be wresting really well. I think he has a shot to win the title if he can get to the finals. An upset there would help Michigan's team score a lot.
    • #1 Aaron Brooks (PSU) vs. #4 Taylor Venz (Neb)
    • #2 Myles Amine (U of M)vs. #3 Kaleb Romero (OSU)
      • Everyone wants to see the Brooks vs. Amine rematch and I think we'll get it. Romero took Amine to OT during the dual but it was one of Myles' first matches of the year. I think this will be a more comfortable win for Amine.
    • #1 Eric Schultz (NEB) vs. #5 Pat Brucki (U of M)
      • Brucki dropped a close 8-5 match during the dual. Both of these semi-finals feel like toss ups and could have significant impact on the team scores.
    • #2 Max Dean (PSU) vs. #3 Cam Caffey (MSU)
      • Caffey could do U of M a solid here and knock off Dean. Caffey actually beat Dean during their dual so it's not outside the realm of possibility.
  • HWT
    • #1 Gable Steveson (Minn) vs. #4 Mason Parris (U of M)
      • So we all know the deal here. Hopefully Mason can keep it competitive for his psyche and come back to finish 3rd.
    • #2 Tony Cassioppi (Iowa) vs. #3 Greg Kerkvliet (PSU)
      • This is a tough match up but I almost think I want Kerkvliet to advance. I think Mason matches up better with Cassioppi and if Parris gets the head to head win it will force some conversations about seeding at NCAAs.
Michigan is in a pretty good position going into tonight. Some guys are going to have to wrestle above their heads but things are shaping up well for a top 3 finish and with a few breaks maybe top 2 (not likely but hey I'm a fan I can be optimistic). My guess is that we advance Suriano, Lewan, Massa, M. Amine and in a slight surprise Brucki into the finals. I still like Ragusin, C. Amine and Parris chances to finish in the top 4. I'm not sure what to expect from Micic and Storr but if they could lock up AQ bids that would be big.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News