ADVERTISEMENT

Beilein more successful last seven years than Izzo with half the

maelfan

All-League
Aug 7, 2014
talent. But I still think it's time to start looking. Too much inconsistency, or maybe too much mediocre consistency.

Beilein was winning 60% of his games this time of year in 2014. Still winning 60%. We should be a few points better than that.

I will say this though, with or without Beilein next year this team could be really good.

Walton gone will be huge but X is coming on very strong. Wagner, Wilson, Duncan, MAAR all trending up. Charles Mathews getting rave reviews, and three Freshman coming in look to be early contributors.

Could be an interesting year.

Reactions: St. Joe Blue 3
talent. But I still think it's time to start looking. Too much inconsistency, or maybe too much mediocre consistency.

Beilein was winning 60% of his games this time of year in 2014. Still winning 60%. We should be a few points better than that.

I will say this though, with or without Beilein next year this team could be really good.

Walton gone will be huge but X is coming on very strong. Wagner, Wilson, Duncan, MAAR all trending up. Charles Mathews getting rave reviews, and three Freshman coming in look to be early contributors.

Except for all the talent we had

How is Beilein more successful?

Izzo Beilein
179-73 167-81 Overall
82-44 77-49 conference
2.4 4.6 avg conference finish
1 FF 1FF
1 E8 1 E8
Just curious how you define more successful?

Pretty similar/equal is probably the best way to put it. But Izzo should be counting his blessings that they got in this year...with 14 LOSSES.

Not sure why folks think JB has been more successful then Izzo the last 7 years. Yes Izzo has had better recruits/talent, but that's part of the game. Izzo is a good coach and I think JB should be commended on how he turned this program around from when they were 14-9 and in risk of being NIT bound or worse.

Next year's team will be interesting. Walton will be a huge loss as he was able to take over games for us. Irvin, while inconsistent on offense, was a solid defender and that will be missed. It would not shock me if Wagner bolted because his upside is so high that some team or a Pro team in Germany could take him off the board. A talent like his - Dirk type height and game - is very unique and rare.

If Wagner returns - the combo of Davis, Wagner, and Wilson down low could be brutal for teams to contest with. From all accounts, Davis appears to be the Jordan Morgan type bruiser with a better shot it seems. Matthews will be a huge addition and MAAR returning would be key. The team will however hinge on Simpson and MAAR. If MAAR can play as aggressively as he did the last 5-6 games and Simpson can run the point and hit his darn FTs, we will be a formidable team and better then this years team. I like Simpson but I am not convinced he's our long-term PG for this team - he seems a bit tentative to me.

Except for all the talent we had

Developed talent.

Not MSU, Duke, etc. McDonalds All American, Miles Bridges, 5 star loaded, Adrienne Payne talent every single year. There is a big difference.

Nobody wanted Robinson, Stauskas, Hardaway, Burke, Levert or Albrecht, including Tom Izzo. Beilein won big with them while MSUs rosters of 5 stars all of those years did okay, but nothing special.

The examples can go on and on.

Izzo has won about 1 more game per year on average in the Big Ten the last 7 years than Beilein. The talent comparison each brought in is not even close to comparable. Not even in the same league.

Beilein has won 2 regular season big ten championships in the last 7 years, Izzo has not.

Beilein has made it to the final game, Izzo has not, and won as many NCAA tournament games as Izzo in that span with laughable incoming talent compared to what Izzo has brought in the last 7-10 years.

Don't forget that Michigan State plays a much tougher non-conference schedule than Michigan every year. That probably means at least 3 extra losses a year.

Don't forget that Michigan State plays a much tougher non-conference schedule than Michigan every year. That probably means at least 3 extra losses a year.

Comical. A decent coach would actually win a couple of those games occasionally. Izzo does not do that...at all.

For the sake of continuing this discussion, let's look at some facts, including some numbers in my post about the last 7 years in the big ten. Beilein has clearly done way more with less since the 10-11 season.

Big ten wins - almost identical
Big ten reg season titles - Beilein leads
Big ten tourney titles - Izzo leads
Tourney records almost identical
Final games - Beilein 1, Izzo 0

Recruited players for the teams since 08, meaning players who played on the teams the last 7 yrs.
MSU 6 five stars
UM 2 five stars, one of whom (Glenn Robinson) was virtually unrecruited except by Beilein, then he blew up.
MSU 11 four stars
UM 12 four stars

MSU 11 3 stars, including Draymond, most others completely fizzled
UM 18 3 stars, many of whom blew up after Beilein coached them up

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT