ADVERTISEMENT

Beilein did the right think but I wonder how many articles Forde, Doyel, and Greenberg...

maelfan

All-League
Aug 7, 2014
wrote this week trashing the NCAA for running a system where two of the biggest slimeball schools (right now) in America are in the final four this weekend. What a joke. Beilein, the Mr. Clean of the NCAA is raked over the coals even though his argument was reasonable (although I disagreed with him) and involved ZERO rules violations, while Doyel, Forde and Greenberg will probably kiss the asses of Roy Williams and Jim Boeheim if they had/have a chance to write about them or interview them this week or weekend. What a f'ing joke.

Reactions: rojo36
Let me give the board the cliff notes version of what happened here that I haven't essentially read from a poster anywhere.

JB got BURNED by Max B. who went in conference and made him look like a fool. He went from UM to IU and won a championship.

JB had egg on his face and even though both Doyle and Albrecht weren't going to play on scholarship for another Big Ten school he wanted to avoid the Max B. scenario. I wouldn't put any restrictions on a graduate but would put restrictions on a non-graduate as a rule of thumb.

It is completely reasonable for a coach not to want to see a guy he 'trained' to play for an in-conference competitor. Do you think Rudock was here are UM as a generous Iowa gift? Of course not. Iowa had the better qb and wasn't going to play UM from their perspective so they let him go to UM. They (Ferentz) thought Rudock was a mediocre qb (true until the last 1/3 of the season/for the most part).

JB was looking out for his interests. I get it but the fact he was 'shamed' into reversing course makes him look weak. I personally think he should have held his ground and looked into changing his view going forward. JB looks like he cowers to pressure.

Last thing...look at Harbaugh and what he did. Get's zinged and rightfully so for the lack of communication on the recruits who are told to look elsewhere. What does he do...he doesn't apologize BUT says we will look to do a better job communicating. I didn't like what was done but he stood by his interests and will make the necessary adjustments (hopefully) going forward.

Big difference between the two coaches and how they handled it. Harbaugh looks like an emperor and JB looks like a lame duck President.

RM

Reactions: rojo36
oh good grief.

Being humble and stating you are wrong is all that matters. JB doesnt look weak. He is just a different person in recognizing a failure than Jim H. All people handle mistakes and subsequent apologies and amends differently. That is human nature and life.

JB recognized a mistake, and his heart and head told him the way he thought best to resolve.

It's not his nature to be a hard ass, and then fix it going forward. He wanted to right his error immediately and let his position evolve.

Not a "lame duck" approach at all.

Belein may have many shortcomings as a coach which is fair to discuss and be critical. The man that he is not questionable based on anything he has ever done.

Nope. Come on Cinci. Come on. You think he changed his mind because he looked into his heart and said...this just isn't right to these players to stop them from going anywhere?

Come on. He made the initial decision because Max B. blew up in his face and then he was SHAMED by the media (bad PR). Harbaugh loves the press and everything that comes with it and JB doesn't like negative publicity over a program he takes great pride in being ethical.

JB did this solely for his own self interests which was to get the press off his back over two guys who weren't going to play in the Big Ten even though down the road it may hurt him. He looks weak. You know it and I know it. Maybe he should have recognized that neither one of these players were going to do damage to him. That was his mistake thinking somehow he needed to treat these guys like Max B.

RM

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT