ADVERTISEMENT

Barkley = Great Player but PSUs running game and his stats are really overrated...

maelfan

All-League
Aug 7, 2014
vs. OSU 20 carries for 8 yards. 1 carry for 36 yards.
vs. UM 14 carries for 39 yards. 1 carry for 69 yards.
vs. NU 15 carries for 22 yards. 1 carry for 53 yards.
vs. IU 20 carries for 56 yards. No long carries to dissect.
vs. Iowa 28 for 211. Fantastic game rushing, receiving, and in the return game.
vs. Georgia State 9 carries for 14 yards. 1 carry for 33 yards.
vs. Pitt 13 carries for 66 yards. 1 carry for 22 yards. pretty good game
vs. Akron 13 carries for 92 yards. 1 carry for 80 yards.

While all yards and all carries obviously count, his games, their rushing in 5 of PSUs 8 games for over 90% of his carries are abysmal.

Overall, Barkley is 138 for 801.
In contrast, what has been an overall bad running game for UM, our three main backs...
267 carries for 1460 yards.

Barkley doesn't hit the hole hard like he used to - too much juking and jiving when he's supposed to be running up the gut. HOWEVER, he does so much more than just pick up running yards -- look at his receiving and returning as well, for part of the picture. The rest to observe is his blocking - he is a tremendous pass blocker for a RB. He also causes other teams to gameplan around him and sell-out on the run, with has given Trace McSorely great stats, working as a decoy.

Reactions: WolverineGrad00
Great player. Simply said his stats and PSUs running game was overrated.

How many receiving yards did he have in each game? He appears to be multi-faceted and demands a lot of attention on every play.

Reactions: VictorVal
He has a lot. RBs are keyed on a lot. I’m not even fully blaming him if you read title of my post. Just saying his stats are overrated.

Today again, one good run. 14 or 15 blah runs

While all yards and all carries obviously count, his games, their rushing in 5 of PSUs 8 games for over 90% of his carries are abysmal.

In contrast, what has been an overall bad running game for UM, our three main backs...
267 carries for 1460 yards

That was all the night of November 4th right?:eek:

They have a bad OL. Imagine taking your 4th and 5th year OL off the team. PSu has one healthy OL from 2013(sanctions) and the only OL from 2014 was a UConn flip. The 2014 class was during sanctions but they were lifted right at the end. PSU added players but not real high rated players.

Great player. Should be top five or ten pick. His overall season, bad OL or not has been overrated big time. A lot of really good to great running backs have average or above average stats rather than fantastic because of OL problems. He happens to be one of them this year.

Do PASSING and special teams stats count? WHy did you leave them out?

Reactions: VictorVal
The RPO at the LOS with DT's and LB's 2-3 feet away from him has been a disaster but JoeMo refuses to abandon that play. The OL doesn't even know if it is a run or pass, and are pass blocking all the time. Give him the ball in the backfield with a run blocking OL, and you will see the best RB in the nation. He will be the first RB taken in the draft, no doubt about it.

According to the NFL Scouts, he certainly isn't overrated. They are drooling over him!

Oh I see, now we are talking this league, I think the last 2 rb for bama and Georgia are better hands down than Barkley. There are some really good ones out for the draft this year. You may eat some crow on your post. He probably is the best the B10 had this year, but the kid at OSU is pretty damn good too.

Oh I see, now we are talking this league, I think the last 2 rb for bama and Georgia are better hands down than Barkley. There are some really good ones out for the draft this year. You may eat some crow on your post. He probably is the best the B10 had this year, but the kid at OSU is pretty damn good too.

Honestly Barkley has pro skills set (running inside, outside speed, cuts extremely well, great hands, and seems a decent blocker), unquestionably has a bright future. I'm guessing a top 5-7 pro back for years to come.

Yes he is a good rb, but my op was about he being the first rb taken in the draft. Still say that he will not be the first rb drafted. 1st. round I will say yes,but not 1st rb drafted

Oh this whole thread is pure joy.

He's only the most consensus RB1 since Petersen. It's simply a matter of which of the first 5 teams take him. Both Urban and Fitzgerald both said he was the best overall back they had ever seen, Ferentz pretty much said the same thing and your guy said he was "as advertised". If you think you know more than those 4 men, you are delusional.

What's more, our fan base is leaning majority GOAT and we have a long list. His one drawback is he tries to hit home runs on every single play, which he will not do at the next level, but that is what you hung this whole post on. Try again.......epic fail.

Reactions: Howie'81
Want to wager on it?
Nope I don't bet on anything. He won't be the first taken, and I stand on that. There are others out there that are just as talented or better. And before you get your panties in a bunch at least consider other peoples opinions. Plus there are some rbs that haven't declared their intentions yet. I think the rb from Stanford is better than Barkley.

Nope I don't bet on anything. He won't be the first taken, and I stand on that. There are others out there that are just as talented or better. And before you get your panties in a bunch at least consider other peoples opinions. Plus there are some rbs that haven't declared their intentions yet. I think the rb from Stanford is better than Barkley.
Love from Stanford is staying. Put away your bias Mman.....Barkley is a stud. He has all the tools to be a big time impact player in the NFL. Run, Catch, Block, special teams if necessary. He WILL be the first back taken in the draft......and this is coming from a fellow Wolverine fan.

The guy is very good. Why not leave it at that?

Poor offensive line. Also will try to make something out of nothing when he should just take what he could get.

Love from Stanford is staying. Put away your bias Mman.....Barkley is a stud. He has all the tools to be a big time impact player in the NFL. Run, Catch, Block, special teams if necessary. He WILL be the first back taken in the draft......and this is coming from a fellow Wolverine fan.
Ya can he run up the gut and make yardage, doubt it. It ain't coolege anymore

Hey, you see the combine results or check out any mock drafts? You should and see how totally off the wall you are.
I don't care where he goes, he can't run up the gut and take a hit. I watched him, and he's soft. Whoever takes him better pick the off tackle play because he's soft.

I don't care where he goes, he can't run up the gut and take a hit. I watched him, and he's soft. Whoever takes him better pick the off tackle play because he's soft.
Put......the crack pipe......down!

Let me say that again: PUT......THE CRACK PIPE......DOWN!

Do you still "stand by" your opinion?
Should we still "consider" your opinion??

Just wanted to check

So you still think Barkley won't be the 1st RB taken, as you specifically stated your opinion was??

Interesting....

If you waffle on your opinion, should we no longer consider your inconsistent opinions?
And if your opinion is proven to be wrong, should be no longer consider your erroneous and baseless opinions?

So you still think Barkley won't be the 1st RB taken, as you specifically stated your opinion was??

Interesting....

If you waffle on your opinion, should we no longer consider your inconsistent opinions?
And if your opinion is proven to be wrong, should be no longer consider your erroneous and baseless opinions?
You can consider what you want, I don't personally care. If you don't like what I post than don't read it. If you're not a bluefan than go home to your own board.

You can consider what you want, I don't personally care. If you don't like what I post than don't read it. If you're not a bluefan than go home to your own board.

I don't "like" or "dislike" anything you have to say.....I just find it to be insanely inaccurate and comically uninformed

Thus, I'm calling you out for the foolishness of your "opinion"

Time to just bite the bullet and admit:
"I didn't know what I was talking about, and shouldn't have run my mouth"

I don't "like" or "dislike" anything you have to say.....I just find it to be insanely inaccurate and comically uninformed

Thus, I'm calling you out for the foolishness of your "opinion"

Time to just bite the bullet and admit:
"I didn't know what I was talking about, and shouldn't have run my mouth"
Hey look, the OP asked want do you think about Barkley. I gave my opinion and that's all. If you don't agree that's fine. He is not the best RB in the draft. So if you think it's foolishness then that's your opinion OK. I asked you are you a bluefan or not?

Do PASSING and special teams stats count? WHy did you leave them out?

Because those stats don't support his pissy argument.

He's a nightmare in the open field, catching the ball out of the back field. He can make guys miss or flatten them. And he has the speed to take it all the way home.

Eyes wide shut approach here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT