B1G Hockey Weekend Review Oct 24/25

Bob Miller

All-American
Jun 25, 2001
B1G Hockey Weekend in Review Oct 24-25

Michigan - Big Ten/Hockey East Challenge

Fri Michigan 8, @UMass Lowell 4

Sat @Boston U 3, Michigan 2

Within twenty minutes of completing a weekend road sweep of eastern opponents, Michigan allowed two third period goals to Boston U in the 3-2 loss.

Zach Werenski opened the scoring for the Wolverines and also assisted on Alex Kile's second period goal.

Seeking improved team defense, Michigan outshot Boston U, 40-34.

"I think we felt we deserved more out of tonight's game," said Michigan captain Andrew Copp. "I think we did a solid job, probably one of our best games of the year so far in terms of how we played and dictated the pace. There are a few things that didn't go our way that we think should have. But at the end of the day I think we had some chances to put the puck in the net and we didn't, and we let up a little defensively.

"I think our power play is clicking really well. Jack Eichel, for all he is, and he is a great player, he didn't really do much. He had that one tip-in goal from the corner, and that kind of weird bounce goal. We did a good job against him. Our defense played well. We were breaking out well. We were getting behind their defense, getting pucks into their zone, dictating well down low. I mean we played a pretty good game tonight. We couldn't bury some 5-on-5 chances, and our defensive zone play got a little bit away from us. But other than that, we played a really solid game."

On Friday night against home-standing UMass Lowell, Michigan exploded offensively in an 8-4 victory, spurred by senior Zach Hyman's hat trick. Hyman also added two assists while Dylan Larkin had a goal and three helpers of his own.

"It's good to see a guy like Zach Hyman light it up like this," said Michigan head coach Red Berenson. "He's been a hard-working team player for three years now, and he's a senior, so good for him because he's earned it. We were able to bring everyone on this trip, and I think it's good for the team. But you still have to go out and do it, and our guys did it. There was a question whether this was our best game. Well, that was our best game. Now we've got to tighten up defensively."

Michigan State - Big Ten/Hockey East Challenge

Fri @Boston U 1, Michigan State 0

Sat @UMass Lowell 2, Michigan State 1

The Spartans were tantalizingly close each night, but couldn't muster the offense to escape two hard-fought losses.

Michigan State netminder Jake Hildebrand turned aside 39 shots in Friday night's loss to Boston U.

A third period short-handed goal by UMass Lowell proved the difference in the Saturday night tilt.

"Our margin for error has been very slim and we've had a hard time converting on the opportunities that we create at the other end," MSU head coach Tom Anastos told MSUSpartans.com. "We didn't get the results we were looking for, but at the same time I think we learned a lot about ourselves over the past two games."

@Penn State - Holy Cross

Fri Penn State 3, Holy Cross 1

Sun Penn State 7, Holy Cross 1

The Nittany Lions took everything they leaned in Friday night's 3-1 win over Holy Cross and applied it explosively in Sunday's 7-1 spanking of the Crusaders.

Scott Conway led the Penn State offense in Sunday's match with two goals and two assists.

"I don't think he sets out to play an aggravator type of game," head coach Guy Gadowsky told gopsusports.com of Conway's play. "He seems to do that very well. I think that actually motivates him, he gets into it and he had a tremendous night not only in numbers but the way that he played. I thought the power-play goal that he had and (Curtis) Loik's goal were great."

@Minnesota - Bemidji St.

Fri Minnesota 5, Bemidji St. 2

Sat Minnesota 5, Bemidji St. 3

Top-ranked Minnesota dispatched in-state rivals Bemidji St. two nights running even though Bemidji St. battled valiantly at Mariucci Arena over the two night stand.

Travis Boyd's two goals paced the Golden Gophers on Friday night.

Boyd came right back with the game-winning goal and an assist in the Saturday re-match.

Ohio State - idle

Wisconsin - idle

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT