ADVERTISEMENT

Any word on assistants?

BradyThomas

Sophomore
Gold Member
Jun 25, 2001
One rumor of Wiseman and Muckalt although Muckalt also mentioned as a potential successor to Mel at Tech

Really, really like the idea of Wise returning.
Tech twitter had Muckalt in Houghton yesterday. I suppose we'll see if anything comes of that.

Bob, I'm curious why you're bullish on keeping Wiseman around. A lot of what I've read puts a lot of the blame for the struggles of the last few years on him and Powers. I'm not challenging you, just genuinely curious.

Tech twitter had Muckalt in Houghton yesterday. I suppose we'll see if anything comes of that.

Bob, I'm curious why you're bullish on keeping Wiseman around. A lot of what I've read puts a lot of the blame for the struggles of the last few years on him and Powers. I'm not challenging you, just genuinely curious.

The negative that I've seen, heard or read has only come from disgruntled fans. My own observations of practices and off-ice are different. Results matter, but circumstances matter too.

Last season was abysmal. The season preceding, not so much. Somebody had to recruit and put Larkin, Connor, Compher, and Motte into position to succeed. I think Wiseman is worth retaining.

I consider him to be a very good teacher and leader. If Mel thinks he's Worthy of a continued position on his staff, I'm more than ok with it.

Edit: I posted the above before seeing Sipple's tweet saying that Wiseman has been retained by Mel. My feelings remain the same.

Last edited:
Bob,
Thanks. That's what I was wondering. I saw the same tweet you did right after I posted the message. I'll be curious to see who fills the other spot and if Steve Shields stays on with the goalies.

Bob,
Thanks. That's what I was wondering. I saw the same tweet you did right after I posted the message. I'll be curious to see who fills the other spot and if Steve Shields stays on with the goalies.

No knowledge on Shields, but he does have a history with Mel. Would be a good choice to retain.

Bob,
No knowledge on Shields, but he does have a history with Mel. Would be a good choice to retain.

Isn't Shields an unpaid volunteer coach?

Good news about Weisman, IMHO. I think many saw us struggle, and just him directing traffic live during games. So it was natural to blame a lot on him, even if it was misguided.

Heck, some blame the fact that we haven't got many western Canadians as the reason we had a bad season... It's not as if fans know that much...

Oh, what about Billy Powers? He spent most of his coaching career working with Mel.

For those who haven't seen it, George Sipple of the Free Press tweeted today that among those under consideration for the other assistant are Muckalt, John Madden, Chris Tamer and Mike Komisarek. Sipple also tweeted that Billy Powers would not be back and is under consideration for the open head coach position at the NTDP.

Does the fact that one assistant typically is responsible for the forwards and the other for the D-men suggest that Tamer or Komisarek are the more likely choices? (Or stated more generally, that we need an assistant with "defensive" experience?)

Does the fact that one assistant typically is responsible for the forwards and the other for the D-men suggest that Tamer or Komisarek are the more likely choices? (Or stated more generally, that we need an assistant with "defensive" experience?)

I would think they'd take the most experienced available. I'd say Muckalt, Madden, with Tamer and Komisarek equal would be my pecking order. As always, depends what Mel is looking for.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT