ADVERTISEMENT

another JH read (top Yahoo story)

ArrowheadBlue

Heisman
May 29, 2001
Lollapalooza started Friday afternoon here, but the city got warmed up for it in the morning with Harbaughpalooza.

San Francisco 49ers strongly indicates that he won't miss at Michigan. The only variable is time.

The program is only four games over .500 over the past seven years – an inconceivable malaise given Michigan's long-term success. Mismanagement has been rampant during that time.

Rich Rodriguez was a bad fit who was undercut from the start by stiff-necked Michigan Men who didn't cotton to having an outsider working a radical program makeover. The corrective action was to hire Brady Hoke, who embraced the tradition of the place but was hopelessly in over his head as an actual coach.

Harbaugh is the total package, the perfect fit. He's a great coach who happens to love everything that makes Michigan special, starting with program patriarch Schembechler. Bo was his dad's boss and his own coach, and there has always been a little Schembechler to Harbaugh's coaching style.

"If we could do it the way Bo did it, that would be something to aspire to," Harbaugh said. "Not a day goes by really where I don't think about Coach Schembechler. From the time I leave my house to go to the office – I live about five houses away from where Bo lived. And no matter which way I take to work, whether it's Devonshire or Geddes or Stadium, I'll often think 'Well, Bo probably took this right on to Washtenaw or took this left onto Hill. I know he took this left onto State Street.' "

And when he parks at the stadium, Harbaugh walks past the Schembechler statue and past the picture in his office with Bo from the 1987 Rose Bowl.

"To have his work ethic, to run the program like he ran it, yeah, those are things to aspire to," Harbaugh said.

One of the great things Schembechler did was to look Woody Hayes and Ohio State in the eye, taking that storied rivalry to its height during the 1970s. Harbaugh steps into a similar dynamic, charged with returning the Wolverines to the level currently occupied by the defending national champion Buckeyes.

The restoration of that rivalry is so anticipated in the Midwest that Harbaugh's first question Friday was, in effect, whether he would refuse to refer to Ohio State as Ohio State. Hoke called the school "Ohio," and Urban Meyer refers to Michigan as "The School Up North."

You can expect plenty of piss and vinegar from Harbaugh, but he's not much into semantic games.

"Just Ohio State," he said.

If that disappoints some Michigan fans, understand: Harbaugh isn't much worried about meaningless details. He wore a light blue button-down shirt Friday and didn't button down the collar – because, really, who cares whether the collar is buttoned down? Is that going to help Michigan tackle Ezekiel Elliott?

That's the Dockers Khaki Mentality. Pants don't make the man. Neither do shirt collars.

But Michigan did make the man who is Jim Harbaugh. Now it's his job, on his nostalgic return home, to remake the program.

Lollapalooza started Friday afternoon here, but the city got warmed up for it in the morning with Harbaughpalooza.

San Francisco 49ers strongly indicates that he won't miss at Michigan. The only variable is time.

The program is only four games over .500 over the past seven years – an inconceivable malaise given Michigan's long-term success. Mismanagement has been rampant during that time.

Rich Rodriguez was a bad fit who was undercut from the start by stiff-necked Michigan Men who didn't cotton to having an outsider working a radical program makeover. The corrective action was to hire Brady Hoke, who embraced the tradition of the place but was hopelessly in over his head as an actual coach.

Harbaugh is the total package, the perfect fit. He's a great coach who happens to love everything that makes Michigan special, starting with program patriarch Schembechler. Bo was his dad's boss and his own coach, and there has always been a little Schembechler to Harbaugh's coaching style.

"If we could do it the way Bo did it, that would be something to aspire to," Harbaugh said. "Not a day goes by really where I don't think about Coach Schembechler. From the time I leave my house to go to the office – I live about five houses away from where Bo lived. And no matter which way I take to work, whether it's Devonshire or Geddes or Stadium, I'll often think 'Well, Bo probably took this right on to Washtenaw or took this left onto Hill. I know he took this left onto State Street.' "

And when he parks at the stadium, Harbaugh walks past the Schembechler statue and past the picture in his office with Bo from the 1987 Rose Bowl.

"To have his work ethic, to run the program like he ran it, yeah, those are things to aspire to," Harbaugh said.

One of the great things Schembechler did was to look Woody Hayes and Ohio State in the eye, taking that storied rivalry to its height during the 1970s. Harbaugh steps into a similar dynamic, charged with returning the Wolverines to the level currently occupied by the defending national champion Buckeyes.

The restoration of that rivalry is so anticipated in the Midwest that Harbaugh's first question Friday was, in effect, whether he would refuse to refer to Ohio State as Ohio State. Hoke called the school "Ohio," and Urban Meyer refers to Michigan as "The School Up North."

You can expect plenty of piss and vinegar from Harbaugh, but he's not much into semantic games.

"Just Ohio State," he said.

If that disappoints some Michigan fans, understand: Harbaugh isn't much worried about meaningless details. He wore a light blue button-down shirt Friday and didn't button down the collar – because, really, who cares whether the collar is buttoned down? Is that going to help Michigan tackle Ezekiel Elliott?

That's the Dockers Khaki Mentality. Pants don't make the man. Neither do shirt collars.

But Michigan did make the man who is Jim Harbaugh. Now it's his job, on his nostalgic return home, to remake the program.

WRT Harbaugh.......its tough to tell - is he OD'ing on PROZAC, or is he in desperate need of some?

WRT Harbaugh.......its tough to tell - is he OD'ing on PROZAC, or is he in desperate need of some?
Yeah. Because when asked what he plans on calling the buckeyes, he said "Just Ohio State." That's clearly a cry for help. o_O

If you'll notice, he never talks about the other schools, or pumps his chest over rivalries or takes shots at the other schools. He pumps up the school because he loves it. It's as simple as that. He's a true believer - that's pretty irritating to other fans I imagine.

Meyer does it because that's what the dOSU fan base craves - any coach that takes a shot at Michigan is worth listening to.

Dantonio is so wrapped up with his perceived lack of respect, that no matter what Michigan does it will only garner sneers from him.

Meanwhile, we have Harbaugh being Harbaugh. He says goofy stuff, does goofy stuff and the media and rival fans lose their minds over a shirtless pic of him while playing a scrimmage with recruits.

The man doesn't have do say or do shit against our rivals and yet they lose their minds over him. It's weird.

Well, the last coach came up with "Ohio", had the UM fanbase going nuts, and then ultimately fell on his face.

Harbaugh taking a low key approach seems like a better idea

Well, the last coach came up with "Ohio", had the UM fanbase going nuts, and then ultimately fell on his face.

Harbaugh taking a low key approach seems like a better idea
Not as nuts as you guys got.

Hell, you guys still make plenty of hay over what was said by Woody ("tsun") for Christ sake.

Last edited:
Not as nuts as you guys got.

Hell, you guys still make plenty of hay over what was said by Woody ("tsun") for Christ sake.

"for Christ sake"....jeeesh, no need to get all worked up over "tsun" and take the lord's name in vain.

I don't really care what any coach calls his rival by. I was just responding to bjf that Harbaugh probably has the right idea in his approach, as opposed to the Hoke way.

"for Christ sake"....jeeesh, no need to get all worked up over "tsun" and take the lord's name in vain.

I don't really care what any coach calls his rival by. I was just responding to bjf that Harbaugh probably has the right idea in his approach, as opposed to the Hoke way.
Hoke was trying to fire up the fan base with rivalry talk, after RR completely downplayed it. There were an awful lot of fences to mend within the Michigan camp after Rich's departure - Hoke did his best to bring the "family back together".

As for the first part of your post - stop being a doofus. I care as much about "tsun" as when one of your fans write "M*chigan" - like writing the name is an incantation to bring forth a demon.

You Ohio State guys are the weirdest fans on the planet. Any group that refuses to wear a color because of a rival is just.....stupid.

Enjoy wearing your "scarlet jeans".

Hoke was trying to fire up the fan base with rivalry talk, after RR completely downplayed it. There were an awful lot of fences to mend within the Michigan camp after Rich's departure - Hoke did his best to bring the "family back together".

As for the first part of your post - stop being a doofus. I care as much about "tsun" as when one of your fans write "M*chigan" - like writing the name is an incantation to bring forth a demon.

You Ohio State guys are the weirdest fans on the planet. Any group that refuses to wear a color because of a rival is just.....stupid.

Enjoy wearing your "scarlet jeans".

Hey, Hoke came up with "Ahia" and every Michigan fan ate it up like caviar. Then home fell on his face and suddenly "Ahia" wasn't cool anymore. Harbaugh waiting to stoke the rivalry until he's more established is the safer way to go.

Hey, Hoke came up with "Ahia" and every Michigan fan ate it up like caviar. Then home fell on his face and suddenly "Ahia" wasn't cool anymore. Harbaugh waiting to stoke the rivalry until he's more established is the safer way to go.
Harbaugh is not going to do any of that - he'll be more passive/aggressive.

I like how you try to make being passive aggressive sound like it's a positive thing.

As far as Harbaugh taking a, "we only care about us, and not rivals" tactic isn't surprising. Anyone in power following a failed regime tries to indicate that they are the opposite whether we are talking politics, business, or sports. Wasn't part of the allure with Hoke that he wasn't Rich Rod? Wasn't part of the allure with Rich Rod, and there was, that he wasn't Carr?

And I love how some of you act as if you really are above any concern over rival teams, yet I see post after post about OSU and Michigan State. And lease get over yourself about how we refer to your team and the colors in our wardrobe. We wear blue and we can actually say the M-word, excuse me, Michigan. It's just part of the fun of having a rival.

Most of you feel the same way, you just tend to be more "Passive Aggressive" about it.

I love how TUOS fans come on here acting stupid, then act puzzled that they are disliked. And like they can't even comprehend how other college FB fans could possibly not like their program and POS coaches like sweater vest and the crazy old guy who punched a kid. Funny stuff.

I like how you try to make being passive aggressive sound like it's a positive thing.

As far as Harbaugh taking a, "we only care about us, and not rivals" tactic isn't surprising. Anyone in power following a failed regime tries to indicate that they are the opposite whether we are talking politics, business, or sports. Wasn't part of the allure with Hoke that he wasn't Rich Rod? Wasn't part of the allure with Rich Rod, and there was, that he wasn't Carr?

And I love how some of you act as if you really are above any concern over rival teams, yet I see post after post about OSU and Michigan State. And lease get over yourself about how we refer to your team and the colors in our wardrobe. We wear blue and we can actually say the M-word, excuse me, Michigan. It's just part of the fun of having a rival.

Most of you feel the same way, you just tend to be more "Passive Aggressive" about it.
How the f did I make it a positive thing? I gave my opinion but never said good, bad or indifferent.

What would you like us to discuss? How wonderful it was that osu won the nc? How we will never win a significant game ever again? Would that be more to your liking?

We post negative shit about osu/msu/nd because we don't like them. We're supposed to be congenial for you? Eat a bag of dicks.

If you want an osu stroke fest, go to your own damn board.

As you can see, there is nothing passive about my response - all aggressive, baby.

Yeah. Because when asked what he plans on calling the buckeyes, he said "Just Ohio State." That's clearly a cry for help. o_O

If you'll notice, he never talks about the other schools, or pumps his chest over rivalries or takes shots at the other schools. He pumps up the school because he loves it. It's as simple as that. He's a true believer - that's pretty irritating to other fans I imagine.

Meyer does it because that's what the dOSU fan base craves - any coach that takes a shot at Michigan is worth listening to.

Dantonio is so wrapped up with his perceived lack of respect, that no matter what Michigan does it will only garner sneers from him.

Meanwhile, we have Harbaugh being Harbaugh. He says goofy stuff, does goofy stuff and the media and rival fans lose their minds over a shirtless pic of him while playing a scrimmage with recruits.

The man doesn't have do say or do shit against our rivals and yet they lose their minds over him. It's weird.
Jim Tressel.

How the f did I make it a positive thing? I gave my opinion but never said good, bad or indifferent.

What would you like us to discuss? How wonderful it was that osu won the nc? How we will never win a significant game ever again? Would that be more to your liking?

We post negative shit about osu/msu/nd because we don't like them. We're supposed to be congenial for you? Eat a bag of dicks.

If you want an osu stroke fest, go to your own damn board.

As you can see, there is nothing passive about my response - all aggressive, baby.

Temper temper Aoi. I didn't bring up Harbaugh being passive aggressive, you did. if you didn't mean for it to be positive, negative, or indifferent than I apologize. Generally speaking however, when someone calls another person "passive aggressive" it is looked upon as a negative trait.

I don't want you to discuss how great OSU is- which is not guaranteed this season or any other. In fact, on other threads on this board discussing whether Michigan can beat OSU, I like to post how they can. I'm not looking for an echo chamber, I get that on the premium board. If you are looking for the same I suggest you do as well.

I don't have a problem that you guys don't like OSU. I do like to call you out when you make it seem as if it is a intellect or moral issue as opposed to a on the field result issue. And if you disagree I'm always open to debate.

And you guys like to respond by phrases like, "dumbass and eat a bag of penises". The reality is the names don't bother me either, I just expect a better fight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT