ADVERTISEMENT

and a right nice way to finish up Saturday night, at least for the sports...

Puckhead

All-American
Jun 4, 2001
Michigan defeats Penn State 5-2 and splits the weekend.

Michigan again took an early 1-0 lead in the first when Calderone found the back of the net, but not long after they were whistled for a 5 minute major penalty. They managed to kill that off along with another penalty late in the first. After one period of play Michigan had the 1-0 lead.

The second got off to a shaky start as Michigan seemed to send a steady stream of players to the penalty box, keeping them on the penalty kill. Things were even worse because they had lost Cutler Martin after the 1st with some sort of injury, leaving them short handed and having to double shift some guys. In the final 10 minutes of the 2nd Michigan really seemed to find themselves. With just over 5 minutes to play Calderone scored a power play goal to make it 2-0. (edit here to correct how this goal was scored) Nine seconds later Michigan got a clean faceoff win in the circle to the left of the PSU goaltender. Winborg drew the puck straight back to the top of the circle to Warren who got off a one timer that put the puck behind the Penn State goalie before he knew what happened, it was 3-0 Michigan. With just over a minute to play Penn State scored a goal, making it 3-1 at the end of the 2nd period.

Michigan came out strong in the third, scoring just over 4 minutes into the period to make it 4-1 and again about a minute and a half later to make it 5-1. Midway through the period Penn State scored another to make it 5-2. Things were certainly interesting through the last of the period. Both teams saw a player going to the penalty box with just over 8 minutes to play and Penn State pulled their goalie to essentially give them a power play. Michigan survived unscathed. As the period came to a close PSU had again pulled their goalie to get the extra attacker. Michigan helped out by taking another penalty with just over a minute to play and then with just under a minute Michigan took another giving Penn State a 6 on 3 man advantage. Again Michigan survived and the game ended with the score 5-2.

Michigan was much better with the puck tonight and much better defensively. They were so close to getting a sweep this weekend, but coming away with a split early in this season and almost getting the sweep, I would call that a pretty decent weekend.

Lavigne was strong in net tonight, coming up with some really big saves.

The line of Dancs, Marody, and Calderone was huge all weekend. Between the three of them they had something like 15 points on the weekend.

I had to come back this morning and add this in. Wanted to point out how good the special teams were tonight. Michigan went 1 for 2 on the power play and the penalty kill was excellent, shutting down every power play chance Penn State had (five of them), one of those a five minute major in the first period. In the post game presser Mel was asked about the penalty kill and made mention of the fact that Muckalt has been working with the penalty kill. I don't know what other coaching duties he has, but he certainly seems to be having a very positive impact on the penalty kill so far, and that's good.

Last edited:
Really good bounce-back game and great to see them correct a lot of the mistakes from last night. I liked how they came out hard and didn't panic when things went sideways. Also really glad to see Dancs-Marody-Calderone do so well. I thought we needed more out of them after last weekend, and that certainly qualifies as more.

Tonight's performance makes last night all the more maddening, but if you told me we'd be 4-2 with a road win at Penn St right now before the year started, I'd have taken it in a heartbeat.

2 winnable games coming up at home. Hopefully we see some more improvement.

Thanks for both game reviews- it says something when they come back from a loss that should have been a win.

It's great to see our upperclassmen get more points, too- which takes a lot of pressure off the rest of the team. And that normally leads to goals....

And bad news for Cutler- get the chance to play, and then get hurt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT