ADVERTISEMENT

Anastos resigns at MSU, what does it mean to us?

alfadriver

Junior
Feb 8, 2006
Somewhere on the walk to Yost.
Somewhat surprising news that Tom Anastos has resigned from MSU this afternoon.

And Danton Cole has offered himself for advice if asked.

Given the rumors are that Cole will replace Red in a few weeks, one wonders how true they really are.

Michigan is a blue blood job. I get that Cole is well thought of, but shouldn't we be aiming higher than a guy who was 23-59-12 in college? Even the year they made the tournament they were 12-18-3 and happened to win their conference tourney.

I'd really want to see what names are out there and who is interested in the gig. Like if Nate Leaman would bite, for instance. No way Providence can outbid Michigan.

There's also Mel if he'd be interested in coming back. I think he'd be great here, but would still be interested in seeing who else is out there first.

An internal hire would be a colossal mistake, IMO.

But you're definitely right. If Cole is high on their list, then it certainly needs to move up the timeline for "the conversation"...

Reactions: VictorVal
Michigan is a blue blood job. I get that Cole is well thought of, but shouldn't we be aiming higher than a guy who was 23-59-12 in college? Even the year they made the tournament they were 12-18-3 and happened to win their conference tourney.

I'd really want to see what names are out there and who is interested in the gig. Like if Nate Leaman would bite, for instance. No way Providence can outbid Michigan.

There's also Mel if he'd be interested in coming back. I think he'd be great here, but would still be interested in seeing who else is out there first.

An internal hire would be a colossal mistake, IMO.

But you're definitely right. If Cole is high on their list, then it certainly needs to move up the timeline for "the conversation"...
I think Cole's coaching is overshadowing his playing. So I would not be all that concerned about his time at MSU- I'd be more focused on the coaching he's been doing, particularly focusing on recent work he's doing with the development team.

I can't really read the Mel situation very well- many of us who have talked to him (some who know him and his wife really well) think he is coming back. Others that are more inside Tech's program are convinced there's no way that's happening. It would be great if he did come back, but I'm also fine for him (and Tech) if he stays up there.

And for other reasons- our situation is confusing- there have been some pretty bold statements from people who would know that the coaching change has already been decided on. Mel and Danton are the obvious possibilities going around (and some are convinced for Cole). Oddly enough, Jeff Blashill is also being talked about- but I'm not sure I want an OK coach from Western who wasn't great with the Red Wings.

Anyway, Cole has made a statement that he will be happy to assist in finding a new MSU coach. This is from the free press:

From a story in the Detroit Free Press:
"Cole said he was on the ice when he heard Anastos was stepping down".

“I’ve always been a Spartan and have always been a Spartan fan,” Cole said. “Tom never had a bigger fan than me here in wanting to see the program do well. That’s been a big part of my life.

“I love representing my country (in the National Team Development Program). This is a fabulous place here. It’s an honor to do it on a daily basis. Your alma mater – that’s always been a dream job.”

Cole, 50, said he’d be willing to serve in an advisory role, if asked. He played for the Spartans from 1985-89 and spent the past four seasons with the NTDP, after serving as coach at Alabama-Huntsville for three seasons (2007-2010). He also has coached the Muskegon Fury, Grand Rapids Griffins and Motor City Mechanics.

“I’m available for them,” Cole said. “It’s a time for Spartans to pull together.”

Does that mean he want to throw his hat in the ring to be coach, or that he's JUST going to help find a coach, as he's already committed to a new job?

I think Cole's coaching is overshadowing his playing. So I would not be all that concerned about his time at MSU- I'd be more focused on the coaching he's been doing, particularly focusing on recent work he's doing with the development team.

I can't really read the Mel situation very well- many of us who have talked to him (some who know him and his wife really well) think he is coming back. Others that are more inside Tech's program are convinced there's no way that's happening. It would be great if he did come back, but I'm also fine for him (and Tech) if he stays up there.

And for other reasons- our situation is confusing- there have been some pretty bold statements from people who would know that the coaching change has already been decided on. Mel and Danton are the obvious possibilities going around (and some are convinced for Cole). Oddly enough, Jeff Blashill is also being talked about- but I'm not sure I want an OK coach from Western who wasn't great with the Red Wings.

Anyway, Cole has made a statement that he will be happy to assist in finding a new MSU coach. This is from the free press:

Does that mean he want to throw his hat in the ring to be coach, or that he's JUST going to help find a coach, as he's already committed to a new job?

Well, supposedly that's how Anastos got hired. He was asked to be part of the original search committee. I'll be upset if MSU doesn't at least interview Cole. I also want them to do a good nationwide search.

Blashill was more than an OK coach at Western.

Blashill was more than an OK coach at Western.
For Western, sure.

But I can't say that 19-13-10 with a first round exit is much for Michigan. His record, other than this year, would suggest to us that we should expect a 20-10 year all the time, since that's all he's ever done. The GR Griffens and the Indiana Ice have that record, pretty consistently, too.

I don't get his appeal at all.

First of all, I'm bummed because for years Spath led us to believe that Mike Babcock would succeed Red. And where are either of them now? :)

One thing about Danton Cole, the Mike Eaves experience suggests that when you move from the USNTDP to a college job, you can get a recruiting bump for 3-4 years (because you are already wired into elite 15-18 year olds and their programs). Of course you have to sustain it.
Blaishill, I would be worried that U-M would just be a temp job till the next good NHL offer came along.
Michigan can probably outbid any Division 1 school except NoDak, if it wants to. We could hire Jim Montgomery if we wanted to spend the money to lure him from Denver. Or Scott Sandelin from Duluth.
BUT I would be completely happy with Bill Muckalt. Specifically, someone who (1) has strong U of M roots and will be loyal to Michigan, (2) has worked at both the NCAA D-1 level and the USHL-NAHL level, and (3) is in his late 30's early 40's and could be our coach for the next 20 years.

First of all, I'm bummed because for years Spath led us to believe that Mike Babcock would succeed Red. And where are either of them now? :)

One thing about Danton Cole, the Mike Eaves experience suggests that when you move from the USNTDP to a college job, you can get a recruiting bump for 3-4 years (because you are already wired into elite 15-18 year olds and their programs). Of course you have to sustain it.
Blaishill, I would be worried that U-M would just be a temp job till the next good NHL offer came along.
Michigan can probably outbid any Division 1 school except NoDak, if it wants to. We could hire Jim Montgomery if we wanted to spend the money to lure him from Denver. Or Scott Sandelin from Duluth.
BUT I would be completely happy with Bill Muckalt. Specifically, someone who (1) has strong U of M roots and will be loyal to Michigan, (2) has worked at both the NCAA D-1 level and the USHL-NAHL level, and (3) is in his late 30's early 40's and could be our coach for the next 20 years.
Do you have a link to Muckalt's career?

One guy that few bring up, so there's not much background to look into.

I do know he was involved with a not-so-successful restaurant on Main St. Other than that, I don't know the full circumstances, other than it changed hands once he moved up to Tech.

When we start talking former players/assistants, the criteria I want to use is "If they had their resume but played/coached at a different school would they get a sniff at this job?" If the answer is no, move on.

It's why I wouldn't be able to get behind a Wiseman hire. Muckalt is probably too soon. Maybe as an assistant? Mel has the resume to get in the door: Lots of success as an assistant, has turned around a team that hadn't won in years.

Blashill did well at Western. I haven't been thrilled with him as a Wings coach at all, but I'm not sure who could win with the talent Holland gave him.

I'd be very disappointed if we didn't at least call the coaches for some of these schools that are having a lot of success. It's why Leaman is the top of my personal list.

Even if Pearson is interested I wouldn't just hand the job to him. This is a top 5 job in college hockey and it hasn't come open in 30 years. I would want to see who is out there and interested.

I do know he was involved with a not-so-successful restaurant on Main St. Other than that, I don't know the full circumstances, other than it changed hands once he moved up to Tech.
This article is fairly comprehensive, although a year old.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...ll-muckalt-a-rising-star-in-the-coaching-game
. . . . He also has a Wikipedia page which lists his positions year-by-year. I haven't researched this currently, but I definitely recall reading, in real time, positive articles and comments about his coaching work at several times during his career.
Re Packer's comment, I know we could hire more experienced D1 coaches with no ties to Michigan, but if you think about Muckalt's career at Michigan, I feel that he could and would sell the Michigan hockey program and the UofM experience to recruits and players with great sincerity and conviction and an enthusiasm unknown to mankind - certainly more so than another coach we might hire with no previous ties.

When we start talking former players/assistants, the criteria I want to use is "If they had their resume but played/coached at a different school would they get a sniff at this job?" If the answer is no, move on.

It's why I wouldn't be able to get behind a Wiseman hire. Muckalt is probably too soon. Maybe as an assistant? Mel has the resume to get in the door: Lots of success as an assistant, has turned around a team that hadn't won in years.

Blashill did well at Western. I haven't been thrilled with him as a Wings coach at all, but I'm not sure who could win with the talent Holland gave him.

I'd be very disappointed if we didn't at least call the coaches for some of these schools that are having a lot of success. It's why Leaman is the top of my personal list.

Even if Pearson is interested I wouldn't just hand the job to him. This is a top 5 job in college hockey and it hasn't come open in 30 years. I would want to see who is out there and interested.

On Blashill, I truly think he is a good coach - though you can maybe question if he can recruit or not as a head coach. I think the Wings struggles is 100% on Holland.

I'm saying the same thing about MSU - don't just hand the job to the first guy in the door (I'm not saying it's a top 5 job right now, but it's still a program with history and tradition). Hollis already basically screwed it up once. He needs to make sure this is the right guy or MSU hockey may never rebound. 6 years ago I wanted Cole, now I'm saying take a look and see who comes knocking on the door.

This is going to be interesting though, if Red does retire, having both jobs open at the same time.

This article is fairly comprehensive, although a year old.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...ll-muckalt-a-rising-star-in-the-coaching-game
. . . . He also has a Wikipedia page which lists his positions year-by-year. I haven't researched this currently, but I definitely recall reading, in real time, positive articles and comments about his coaching work at several times during his career.
Re Packer's comment, I know we could hire more experienced D1 coaches with no ties to Michigan, but if you think about Muckalt's career at Michigan, I feel that he could and would sell the Michigan hockey program and the UofM experience to recruits and players with great sincerity and conviction and an enthusiasm unknown to mankind - certainly more so than another coach we might hire with no previous ties.

I get that there's something to be said for hiring a guy with ties to the program, I just want them to be qualified outside of that. I don't want the big selling point to be "They played/coached here." because this job is too good for that.

Maybe you get Red. Maybe you get Brady Hoke. I don't want Brady Hoke.

I get that there's something to be said for hiring a guy with ties to the program, I just want them to be qualified outside of that. I don't want the big selling point to be "They played/coached here." because this job is too good for that.

Maybe you get Red. Maybe you get Brady Hoke. I don't want Brady Hoke.
capt- good article- better than one I would find via wiki.

But your point about a repeat of Hoke is a good one. The record should not be looked over just because of Michigan ties.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT