ADVERTISEMENT

An ugly win is still a win

jz597

Letterman
Feb 27, 2016
Uglier game tonight than the 7-2 score line would indicate. Things started well on the PP, and then a good answer after a bit of bad luck on the kill. Much of the last half of the 1st and the entire 2nd were like pulling teeth. Nice bounce back in the 3rd and it was great to see them step on the gas and put the game out of reach.

The sloppiness on defense was really concerning and reminiscent of what happened late last Friday. This seems to have gotten worse since the start of the year. Is this growing pains? Players who are a little too comfortable? Trying to do too much? D like that gets us killed the next two weekends. Also, it seems like we struggle against older teams. When Vermont went senior heavy, it was a battle and the BTN crew mentioned Ferris being older as well.

Hopefully a better all-around game and a sweep tonight.

I'm going to bin the issues to learning a new system. Whatever that really means- I've asked a player that, just to know how much different it is.

But seeing what the offense and PP looks like now, the changes are pretty big relative to what Red had them do last year. So I'm betting that where they are supposed to be, and where where the other players expect them to be.

And given how the 3rd period played out, it seems to me that Mel made a few corrections to the D, and that resulted in Ferris struggling on offense. Also, with the offensive pressure we've been able to get, that also has made the other team struggle. We've seen that more than we've wanted the other direction for a long time....

Of the two goals, only Ferris' second was really bad. It was a really bad turn over that should not have happened. The few scrambling plays in the second were very worrying, but LaFontaine was able to steal some goals.

I'm going to focus more on what I thought they did well. I thought the team speed looked really good yesterday. I haven't been able to see many games yet and I was impressed. I thought they transitioned well from O to D. I liked a lot of the passing in the offensive zone. Yes, the D left some folks all alone. That's gotta be communication and that should get worked out soon.

Individually I thought Marody's line played well. I love Quinn (or is it Cameron? ) Hughes! I thought all 4 lines contributed and that's huge. And Lafontaine looked like he was a little off but made the saves, which is all that matters.

I only saw the 2nd half of the game but I thoroughly enjoyed it!

This was first game I was able to watch entirely since it was on BTN and I thought we were horribly careless with the puck in our own end, just like last year. Now, in the 3P, this was due in part to Ferris pressing to try to tie the game, and we ultimately made them pay with several breakouts/odd-mans.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT