ADVERTISEMENT

AF vs Michigan from an AF Fan

ltcpilot

Jan 9, 2006
Air Force fan here looking forward to a good game with no injuries. I made it to the last game AF played in the 'Big House' and had a great time and knew we could give you a game (and we did).

Reference some questions about this team I have seen on other forums:

Offense is very experienced with 9 starters back losing our record setting WR and starting RB, but this years starter at RB rotated in/out all year as that is what we do on offense. AF started off strong last year 4-0 then lost 3 straight. In the next game our QB went down and Soph Arion Worthman came in and came back to win the game after being down by 10 and won the final 6 games of the season using a relatively limited playbook as compared to the starter. This year this is 'his' team and I think the offense will be surprising (I hope). For your planning we will run, run, run and never pass. Tell your secondary not to worry, we will 'never' pass. Ok, seriously, if we bring in the pass as the 4th option in the triple option offense then it could create some concern for your LB's thus enhancing our option running game. Just some 'arm chair QB'ing here.

Defense is where we lost the most, just the opposite of offense, losing 9 starters with only 2 back. A little deceiving as all of this year's starters did play extensively last season except for one but still, on paper, very inexperience.

If we can move the ball on offense thus giving the defense a chance to find it's footing, then I expect this may be a closer game than many predict similar to our last meeting.

Indeed our first game vs VMI was nothing, nada, zero as compared to this game. But it enabled us to use multiple players in multiple positions to get the jitters out and the timing set. No, it doesn't prepare us for playing in front of 107,000 fans (total for last game at your house), but it helps. A weird bye week in week 2 for the Falcons which has pros/cons. Better prep for us but a week off. On the flip side, you have only one game against a team we did not use 80% of the playbook so you will be coaching mosty against what you anticipate from last year and, as I said above, this years offense may well be more dynamic than last year.

Michigan will move the ball on AF, it's how much and how fast vs can my Falcons move on you.

Go Falcons

And NEVER forget 9/11 on this fateful anniversary.

Well, it really comes down to "Can Air Force move the ball against the Michigan D"? If our defense plays like they have been, it will be a very long day for Air Force. We have issues on offense, so your scoring may come from that side of the ball :).

Well, it really comes down to "Can Air Force move the ball against the Michigan D"? If our defense plays like they have been, it will be a very long day for Air Force. We have issues on offense, so your scoring may come from that side of the ball :).
Nice to hear from you, thanks for the look in. You're a USAF guy right, so God Bless and thank you for your service. The biggest factor going in for UM is the discipline an Academy team brings to the field. Trust your teammates, likewise give them reason to trust you limits mistakes and forces opponents to adjust. I really believe this Michigan team is showing elite speed where it has lacked it in recent years. I think the Falcons will break off a couple nice runs but also think we can hold you to 150 on the ground and force some air attack. This will change the game in our favor if we stay disciplined. I always respect the Air Force Academy and like you hope for an exciting injury free contest. Best wishes, but of course Go Blue!!

Nice post, thanks.

I expect to see UM play a very controlled offensive game. Don't think you will see us go deep as we have in previous 2 games. I do expect we will pound the rock often with multiple backs. I look for UM to have 2 100 yard rushers in this game and frequent use of the short passing game whenever necessary to keep the chains moving. If we score often in a ball controlled manner (I think we will), then this will put a lot of pressure on AF offense. Unfortunately for AF, UM is stout up front so I do expect our defense will be able to get off the field with regularity. I'm looking for a competitive game but ultimately a convincing UM win.

Michigan 38-20

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT