ADVERTISEMENT

Accidentally flipped on BTN and saw the Nebraska vs. Iowa game and

Reality Man

Heisman
Feb 9, 2002
who is the qb for Iowa...none other than Jake Rudock. Got to see him run about 8-10 series or throw the ball 15 times or so. I had this perception of him from limited highlights and it was close to but not completely accurate. Thought I would share my impressions....good and bad.

First the good.

1. He will be the starter for the fall. If he isn't then Morris would have improved significantly from the spring game.
2. He has a better arm that I thought. Not great but can throw the ball.
3. Does very well with the play action fake. Sells it.
4. Can scramble a little but not a Harbaugh style where he runs around...he can really only go north/south...not going to win any mobility contests but can pick up some yardage here and there with his feet.
5. Throws relatively accurate up to about 12 yards.
6. Seems confident running an offense.
7. Will utilize the TE.

Now the bad.

1. If he throws 20 yards or more...his completion percentage is low...I mean low. Why? He really doesn't throw with any touch. The reason he has such a low interception rate is because he overthrows the wr and the safeties. Can this be coached up...maybe but with some risk.

2. Game manager...needs a running game and looks somewhat undersized (Malzone...maybe slightly bigger) so he needs passing lanes. He can move a little to the open throwing area.

3. Not going to win you a lot of games when UM is behind. Think qb who can be efficient when it's 3rd down and 10 or less.

I now understand why Rudock was able to come to UM. Iowa wasn't letting an All American go to UM and Harbaugh needs a guy to efficiently run an offense. That being said...UM is going to need to average 3 plus yards per carry to allow this offense to be somewhat average. Rudock is the type of guy who needs the play action fake to be very effective.

He is better than anyone I have seen on this roster since Henne. Reminds me of Griese as a senior without the ability to throw a finesse longer ball.

Reality Man

Your analysis is flawed

Many of this throws were dictated by the OC and what was called.

To say he can only throw to outs and shorts is more inaccurate then any of his throws.

He is not a superstar by any means but a great year at UM and he will have s chance to play Sundays.

Put it this way, his skills are more like Griese's then not.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Frankly, as an Iowa fan I was disappointed Jake left as I thought he was/is a very underrated QB.

I did note that on occasion...good point. I stand by my point

that Rudock still doesn't throw a great post or fade route. Over shoots his wr's.

Some good coaching will help and do like him going forward for this year. Get a good running game and this team will be o.k.

Reality Man

You should have seen the game he had the year before when we dismantled Nebraska at there place. That's what he's capable of when he's in the zone. Just needs more consistency. You will love the good Jake and pull your hair out with the bad Jake. The question is will a new school and JH be able to take him to his full potential. I'm guessing yes and you will be very happy. He certainly will come out with a chip on his shoulder.

I'm glad we have CJB at number one over Jake cause Iowa needs a guy who can put the team on his shoulders and win games, with Michigan's talent I think you need a game manager and Jake can certainly do that well.

Originally posted by Reality Man:
who is the qb for Iowa...none other than Jake Rudock. Got to see him run about 8-10 series or throw the ball 15 times or so. I had this perception of him from limited highlights and it was close to but not completely accurate. Thought I would share my impressions....good and bad.

First the good.

1. He will be the starter for the fall. If he isn't then Morris would have improved significantly from the spring game.
2. He has a better arm that I thought. Not great but can throw the ball.
3. Does very well with the play action fake. Sells it.
4. Can scramble a little but not a Harbaugh style where he runs around...he can really only go north/south...not going to win any mobility contests but can pick up some yardage here and there with his feet.
5. Throws relatively accurate up to about 12 yards.
6. Seems confident running an offense.
7. Will utilize the TE.

Now the bad.

1. If he throws 20 yards or more...his completion percentage is low...I mean low. Why? He really doesn't throw with any touch. The reason he has such a low interception rate is because he overthrows the wr and the safeties. Can this be coached up...maybe but with some risk.

2. Game manager...needs a running game and looks somewhat undersized (Malzone...maybe slightly bigger) so he needs passing lanes. He can move a little to the open throwing area.

3. Not going to win you a lot of games when UM is behind. Think qb who can be efficient when it's 3rd down and 10 or less.

I now understand why Rudock was able to come to UM. Iowa wasn't letting an All American go to UM and Harbaugh needs a guy to efficiently run an offense. That being said...UM is going to need to average 3 plus yards per carry to allow this offense to be somewhat average. Rudock is the type of guy who needs the play action fake to be very effective.

He is better than anyone I have seen on this roster since Henne. Reminds me of Griese as a senior without the ability to throw a finesse longer ball.

Reality Man
Pretty good assessment. It was the second half of this same game that KF decided to say F-U to Jakes dad and HS coach
and called for open competition (even though the D lost that game IMO).

If your OL can produce holes, the RBs do well,and give Jake protection he'll do well. Otherwise, allow the D to creep up and stuff the run, challenge him to throw the deep ball....and he'll struggle. Pretty sure JH has had to see this and will scheme away from that weakness to make the D play them honest.
We'll see. Iowa doesn't have the kind of talent UM has so CJ was chosen as the guy who hopefully can make plays (long ball). Hope he can cause if our D doesn't improve, we're in for a long year (and probably KFs last).

Do you think if Beathards' dad hadn't threated KF with a transfer, that Jake would have competed through spring practice since
he was #1 until the threat.

Originally posted by DetroitRockCity:
Do you think if Beathards' dad hadn't threated KF with a transfer, that Jake would have competed through spring practice since
This whole thing started mid-season when KF and GD said they'd like to play both QBs. Jakes dad had a fit and called KF on it. Even went so far as to have his HS coach get on a conference call and threaten KF with he'd never sign another kid from south Florida if he played CJ.
So it was going sour long before CJs dad ever said anything. It was weird that KF played both QBs in the bowl game, but in a way it was KFs way of showing just how much he thought of their opinions.....and it was right after the bowl game that JR told KF he was taking his ball and going elsewhere. It was only then that KF posted a new roster showing CJ as the starter.
There were bridges burnt long before CJs dads interview pre-bowl.
Several weeks ago CJ said his dads interview was overblown. He had no plans to transfer even if Jake had stayed and remained the starter...not so with Jake.

Good luck with him. He's a good kid but his dad is a real piece of work.

BTW....it was right after the Nebby game that KF came out and called for open competition....had nothing to do with CJs dad as that interview came out later.

Originally posted by Duhawk47:
Originally posted by DetroitRockCity:
This whole thing started mid-season when KF and GD said they'd like to play both QBs. Jakes dad had a fit and called KF on it. Even went so far as to have his HS coach get on a conference call and threaten KF with he'd never sign another kid from south Florida if he played CJ.
So it was going sour long before CJs dad ever said anything. It was weird that KF played both QBs in the bowl game, but in a way it was KFs way of showing just how much he thought of their opinions.....and it was right after the bowl game that JR told KF he was taking his ball and going elsewhere. It was only then that KF posted a new roster showing CJ as the starter.
There were bridges burnt long before CJs dads interview pre-bowl.
Several weeks ago CJ said his dads interview was overblown. He had no plans to transfer even if Jake had stayed and remained the starter...not so with Jake.

Good luck with him. He's a good kid but his dad is a real piece of work.

BTW....it was right after the Nebby game that KF came out and called for open competition....had nothing to do with CJs dad as that interview came out later.
I would like to be around if jakes dad tried to get involved and say stuff to Harbaugh. That would be comical
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT