ADVERTISEMENT

'03 commit and four brothers

BradyThomas

Sophomore
Gold Member
Jun 25, 2001
Mel has really cleaned up in recruiting. Yesterday, F Dylan Duke of Detroit Compuware committed. Who knows how kids develop, but he is widely considered one of the top '03 forwards in the country.

You never know which kids will decommit for the OHL (Miletic and Regula) or which kids will not develop (Connor Murphy), but recruiting looks pretty locked in for the next three years.

D Bode Wilde (consensus first round pick)
D Mattias Samuelsson (likely first round pick)
D Jacob Semik (mid-round pick)
D Keaton Pehrson
F Jack Randl (mid/late round pick)
F Philippe LaPointe (late round pick)
F Calen Kiefiuk (late round pick)
F Gustaf Westlund

That is a very big class. I wonder if one will delay matriculation, especially as the next class is small.

F Johnny Beecher (potential first round pick)
F Dylan Wendt (potential draft pick)
F Nicholas Zabaneh ( Jack Hughes' Marlies teammate and one of three Green Bay Gamblers draft picks along with Wendt and Vukojevic. Will play at St. Michael's this year--home of Louie Caporusso, Andrew Cogliano and many others)
D Michael Vukojevic (potential first round pick)

F Antonio Stranges (one of best 2002 F)
F Pat Guzzo (late '01 power F)
D Jacob Truscott (likely NTDP selection along with Stranges)
D Cole McWard (Ivan Hlinka D)
D Ethan Szmagaj

F Dylan Duke (one of best 2003 F)

Four brothers could figure into future recruiting.

1. 2019 F Jack Hughes, likely early first round pick, is Quinn's brother. He is smaller but an absolutely dynamic offensive forward.

2. 2021 F Sasha Pastujov, brother of Nick and Mike, is considered one of the best F his year, probably similar to Mike before all of the injuries.

3. 2022! D Tyler Duke, brother of Dylan, is still small but viewed as one of the best D his year. Will be interesting to see how he grows and how he develops, but he is skilled.

4. 2018 D Kenny Johnson, brother of Jack Johnson, is due to matriculate next year at age 20. I do not know how the commitments of Wilde and Pehrson along with the previous commitments of Samuelsson and Semik impact those plans.

Last edited:
Thanks for a the recap Brady. I, like a number of others I imagine, don't follow hockey recruiting closely so it's good to see a review like that.

ADVERTISEMENT