ADVERTISEMENT

Just want to give a shoutout to the staff...

And let them know how proud of each of them I am.

@Seth Berry and @JaredHalus you guys had the task of coming into a team at the tail-end of the recruiting cycle, which is never easy to do. You guys nailed it and I am so glad to you have both here. Both of you are going to do big things with 2024.

@Trevor McCue, my right-hand man coming in clutch with the graphics when we needed them. You are very much appreciated.

@Brock Heilig the jack-of-all-trades for us, thank you for going out to see Amir Herring at the last minute for us, even if you're new to the recruiting game.

@DavisMoseley, keep doing you in the basketball world. Your efforts in the 2023 class are appreciated as well.

@dennisfithian_ thank you for being available today at the drop of the hat to speak to any recruit that's available. Your hosting skills are so important to me.

And thanks to all of you who followed along. Not a whole lot of drama today but things went exactly how I expected them to, which means I led you all in the right direction. I never want to steer you wrong.

Now, let's go win a CFP game next weekend!!

Recruiting National Signing Day Hub: Update-only thread

We're off bright and early!

We will be using this thread to post updates throughout the day. Look for our open discussion thread to share your thoughts.

Recruiting So here’s the Jyaire Hill situation from Michigan’s side of things…

Michigan HAS NOT been given the turndown from Jyaire Hill. He has NOT spoken to anyone on the staff to tell Michigan they’re out.

So it’s either one of two things. Michigan thinks he’s trolling or he has massively trolled Michigan this entire time, which absolutely does not make any sense.

Michigan is going to try and track down what’s going on here. If this is a troll, this is not going the way that Hill thinks it’s going to. Michigan’s fan base on social media can be brutal.

Really weird stuff. I’ll continue to dig.

Recruiting Reached out to an Illinois source about Jyaire Hill

Info is flying around all over the place here but we will eventually get an answer about what Jyaire Hill plans to do as he will officially commit to either Illinois or Michigan on December 21.

Login to view embedded media
I spoke to our Illinois source about what he's hearing and he's hearing that Hill is currently trending to Michigan. I think that's significant as we have spoken to other Chicago sources who are adamant that Hill's mom wants to keep him home in Illinois as she is a fan of Bret Bielema. You also can't count out the impact of Ryan Walters leaving for Purdue, I think that keeps the door open for Michigan.

To be honest with you, I can't call this thing either way where things stand right now. I just don't have enough information from multiple people to make an informed guess about where this one is headed.

Until he either tells the staff he is coming or has given them the turndown, my FutureCast pick has been on Illinois for quite some time now. I'll likely leave it there until I get something more concrete if I do at all. I'll take the L if it ends up being the Wolverines and I'll be happy to do so if it turns out that way.

I'll continue to ask around.

Insider On Fentrell Cypress…

After doing some digging on the Virginia grad transfer, Michigan is right in the thick of things for him. One of my sources said that it's currently 50/50 that he ends up at Michigan.

One other school that I hear is involved as well is Notre Dame.

I can't say whether it's going to happen for sure but that's the latest I've heard. Michigan has a good shot.

New Era of CFB

I’ve been off and on these boards for a long time. The first recruit I remember truly agonizing over was Charles Rogers. A lot has transpired since then and I am trying to make sense of this NIL stuff like the rest of you.

It occurs to me there’s another way to look at this QB recruiting situation. This is a pro personnel situation even if the NCAA won’t acknowledge it. The Steelers have been competitive for a long time letting big time overpriced free agents walk. What if the future is you develop as many home grown players as you can (recruits) and fill in the holes with transfers (free agents) you overpay riffing off what MSU has done with the transfer portal in recent years.

We clearly aren’t going toe to toe with Bama any time soon. Instead of lamenting that fact, it seems like we would be better off allocating our limited NIL resources to upgrade positions that aren’t as hotly contested as QBs. Seems like a waste of our collective outrage, handwringing over QB recruits that might never play a down. Aren’t we better off bringing in “free agent” QBs from smaller schools who have actual college game tape. Those kids might of been overlooked coming out of HS (think Josh Allen, Tony Romo or Joe Flacco) and they will actually appreciate and benefit from the platform a Michigan level program provides so they have a better shot at the NFL. Meanwhile, we can allocate the finite NIL resources to other positions. M bball already does it to great effect. If we aren’t willing to play the game the way OSU and Bama play it, why not maximize what we can and will do. Feels like this is a textbook case of doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Correa to sign with Mets! (you read that correctly)

In a crazy turn of events, Correa will now sign with the Mets and play third base. 12 years/315 million $.

San Francisco had delayed his signing/introductory press conference due to, reportedly, his physical. This left the door open for New York.

Giants fans will go bonkers.

The Mets payroll and payroll tax will be astronomical.

(I guess if you want to make a ton of money and buy a sports team, start a hedge fund. Or a mortgage company. Nobody told me this 40 years ago.)

Video Who's Got Next: National Signing Day Primer

National Signing Day is here for the Class of 2023, and the Who's Got Next podcast on Maize & Blue Review has returned.

In today's episode, @Seth Berry and myself break down the entire expected 2023 recruiting class, and share the latest on a couple remaining uncommitted targets as well.

Login to view embedded media

Recruiting What The Commitment of Rivals250 WR Karmello English Means for Michigan

With the commitment of English, Michigan's 2023 recruiting class went from 20th in the country to 17th according to Rivals.com, but English projects to be impactful in far more ways than just improving the class ranking.

We take a look at that potential impact below ⬇️

Reactions: ahe1985 and Mphoto
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT